Potency

If you'd like to share a spell or ritual or start your own online Book of Shadows, feel free to do so here.
casnarl

Potency

Post by casnarl »

Hello!

What makes a spell more potent? I want something that'll give any spell I cast that oomph, wham, smack in the face intensity. I have accepted no spell is instant but I'd like to believe some spells pack a bigger punch than others and I want to give all of mine that punch ('cause then I'll for sure know they worked :D )

Would it be accomplished through certain ingredients? Or is it all a matter of intent and heart?

I read in a topic here about expediting spells that dragons blood adds potency to spells so I got some of that (might I add my room smells amazing with all this stuff I'm buying!), but I am curious what else might work. I don't necessarily want to expedite my spells or make them happen any faster than the universe intends, just to make them stronger.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Potency

Post by SpiritTalker »

I've found if I can focus on the reality of the goal for even 10 seconds, it's a done deal. I think of it as time travel to the "ah-HA!" moment when I recognize it is fulfilled. Plus energy. A little physical exertion, like arm-swinging and clapping, to raise energy pumps up the zap power. Also, forgetting about it when I'm done keeps me from weakening the spell by yo-yo-ing the energy back to me.

I tend to experience incense having an effect on the mind's ability to relax and yet be focused, so scents can have different impacts. Just find one that works for you. For me it's cinnamon-for-success. & open a window a bit for air flow. Clogging the airways does not assist.
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Potency increases with the energy you put into it i say.

The moon gives me the extra boost so i make sure my spell fits the phase.

I also think the more correspondences the better. Hm...
(Sorry migraine striking. Thaughts blockt)

Align moon phase, day of the week and time
Add colour, herb, an extra of corresponding element
Visualise of course and cast the spell.
You can add animal or a diety and anything to build up more energy, humming singing dancing.
BB

Blue Moon
Crazy Cat Lady

Post by Crazy Cat Lady »

Yup, anything you add that correlates to the desired outcome helps. Colors, scents, herbs etc... I've even made some animal totem cards to use. I just set them out with my candles and such and take a moment to acknowledge the needed property the animal brings and visualize it adding it's energy into the flow I'm creating. It looks like, before I really start as I've gathered all my supplies, I will sit a moment and organize them, touching/placing each element and verbally stating their purpose. "Orange (candle) for motion, Sister Snake for renewal, tobacco for prosperity, etc"
casnarl

Post by casnarl »

Crazy Cat Lady wrote: It looks like, before I really start as I've gathered all my supplies, I will sit a moment and organize them, touching/placing each element and verbally stating their purpose. "Orange (candle) for motion, Sister Snake for renewal, tobacco for prosperity, etc"

I've found I have been doing this too not even realizing it. Sort of in a way like I am stating their purpose to the universe. I noticed I say the name of everything and speak every step I'm doing and why. Like yesterday I couldn't open one of the herbs so I asked the universe to please forgive me while I left my circle to go get scissors. I sort of talked through the whole process of standing up, walking into the other room, "now I'm picking up these scissors I just needed these I am sorry I forgot them", and sitting back down and all.

SpiritTalker, I don't think it would ever occur to me that physical movement could help. Arm moving and such like you said. I guess that's because I am rather sedentary 99% of the time :P But the more I think about it I can see how that'd help and I think in the times that I have the house to myself I will incorporate some movements. Opening a window sounds like a good idea too. My brother seems to not mind and is keeping my "witchy stuff" as he calls it a secret, but I am not ready to face the weird judgemental looks from my parents yet so having a window open so the smells don't linger sounds like a good idea :P

blue_moon, I have been trying to pay more attention to the day of the week and moon phase and such, but as I just said above I am sort of operating in secrecy for the time being so the only day I've been able to really get all the gear out and spend any length of time on stuff is Fridays when I don't have college and have the house to myself. I try to plan to do stuff late at night once everyone is asleep but I keep falling asleep myself :P despite being a youngling I can not stay up late for anything!
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

Good morning Cleo,
I get what your saying. With the kids around i can't plan my days either. I never know if i will be by myself early next morning or night - i can't use the days or hours much... sadly...
BB

Blue Moon
casnarl

Post by casnarl »

What sort of effect does the moon have? I noticed this Thursday night is a full moon so maybe I can stay up a little bit later that night.
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

New moon is the time to set Intention, the wish will grow with the moon and the energy can be released when its full.

Everything that implies growth is perfect in this phase.

The creative powers are at its peak when the moon is full.
It's great for blessings, protection.
This is also the time to let things go that dont serve you.
The power and impact it has an you will decrease with the moon.
This phase is also a time of rest and recovery.

The full Moon Energy is available for about three days. The day before and after the full / new Moon and the actual day.
BB

Blue Moon
casnarl

Post by casnarl »

blue_moon wrote: The power and impact it has an you will decrease with the moon.
So full moon is or isn't good for doing spells? Sorry, I'm a little confused. If the power is decreasing will the spell not be strong?
blue_moon

Post by blue_moon »

No no sorry for confusing you!
The energy is actually always availabile at any phase of the moon but certain times have certain correspondences.

New Moon - beginning - planing
Waxing Moon - growth - building
Full Moon - charging - cultivating
Waning Moon - banish and release - resolution

The Full Moon is an excellent time for spellwork!
Abundance, love and health, banishing, releasing what doesn't serve you, cutting cords, divination and worship.

Hope it's more clear now.
BB

Blue Moon
casnarl

Post by casnarl »

Yes, that does help clarify it. I've downloaded an app on my phone that will supposedly give me a notification each time there's a phase change. It looks a little sketchy, but it had 4.8 stars and it says it's a full moon now which I could see with my own eyes is true, so hopefully it's a reliable app.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

There's a sub section on EUTM In WC & Wicca 101 off main index that is just about moon working. Moon phases are mostly seen as an aid to empower spell work with timing to moon phases. The moon was man's first guide.
casnarl

Post by casnarl »

Thank you SpiritTalker I will check that out. I am quite fond of the moon I think it is very beautiful and I've always liked to look to the sky as I live it in the middle of nowhere so except for a few spots of light from neighbors front porches it's otherwise dark and I always can get a good few of the moon and stars. That is, of course, Wisconsin weather permitting :D

Edit: fixed a few of my phone's autocorrect mistakes.

Return to “Post a Spell or Ritual”