Bird owners I have a question

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
lilPainter

Bird owners I have a question

Post by lilPainter »

I'm doing research in order to acquire a cockatiel and I'm looking forward to train it and have it outside of the cage most of the time. During all this research, I have learnt that birds in general have very delicate respiratory systems and that fumes are really bad for them. So how do you mix candles and all that with owning a bird?
Last edited by YanaKhan on Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use capital letters and punctuation. Thank you!
sun Scorpio, rising Aries, moon Sagittarius
Disclaimer: english is not my first language so i maaaaay write in a botched way, feel free to correct me.
Siona

Re: Bird owners i have a question

Post by Siona »

Well, you really don't. Even unscented candles still give off smoke, which it's generally recommended to avoid. Anything with a strong scent, like a diffuser, is also out. No wax melts. No heating essential oils. No sage or other smudge bundles. Although, it seems boiling herbs (like rosemary) in water might be an okay alternative. You might want to ask a vet to be sure. The other possible alternative is to close off one room, one that's got some windows, and only use things in there, and keep the bird out of that area always/always keep the room closed. If you live in a small apartment, or are otherwise unable to do that, you might just have to sacrifice the candles and incense for the bird, and get creative in finding replacements for those things in ritual and the like.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Bird owners i have a question

Post by SpiritTalker »

For ambiance you might use flameless, battery powered candles. And for scent use a potpourri that isn't airborne.
lilPainter

Re: Bird owners I have a question

Post by lilPainter »

Thanks for answering, the cage will be in the balcony but the burnt things may be in my room so maybe i can get away with it as there is a nice distance between the two. Also i won't burn anything too strong because of my asthma, so i think we are safe ::coolglasses::

Thanks for the advice!
Disclaimer: english is not my first language so i maaaaay write in a botched way, feel free to correct me.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

My birds are outside 24/7 I put their cage as far away from the bbq and fire pit as possible, we also burn incense in the yard they seem to be ok.
At the other house, once, there were baby pigeons in an overhang on the patio, I was spray painting something in the yard and noticed the overspray blew right in their direction, I moved to another location but it was too late they were dead the next day and I suspect it was my fault. I felt horrible and am super careful if I have to spray anything anymore.
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
lilPainter

Post by lilPainter »

Gosh, so birds are indeed fragile. Im not sure if i will use spray paint in the near future but i could use the balcony in my parents room or move the cage there temporarily.

Return to “Animals and Pets”