Good first time flower

Love to garden? Me too! Garden talk and photos goes here: Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, organic gardening, natural pest control, houseplants, more.
frostarei

Good first time flower

Post by frostarei »

So I've never grown a thing. Always wanted to but it's just one of those things I never got around to trying. I want to start with some flowers in the spring (obviously there's time) as I live in a place with harsh winters and sometimes hard to predict temperatures. I want to start with some flowers for my altar. I'm wondering if there are any that tend to be nice to gardening newbies and fairly resilient to cold. I would not like to grow tulips though. Throwing that out there because my city is obsessed with them an I'm sick of looking at the things.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Good first time flower

Post by Firebird »

hi there!
where you located ?, the only town I can think of that is inundated with tulips is perhaps Amsterdam. Also, it might be too late to plant bulbs anyway... unless you did it before the snow ...does it snow where you're at?
Try your local Nursery and ask them, because they generally will not sell flowers that don't thrive well in your area. Ask your nurseryman which one do the best in your area.
Roses might be a good, now is a good time foe bare root roses.
Bb, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
frostarei

Post by frostarei »

Roses are newbie friendly? I'd always heard stuff on tv and in stories about them being like pride and joy for some gardeners so I would have guess they could be tough to grow. I live in the states in Michigan but my city has a giant Dutch population and a festival around tulips that people literally travel here to go to. As a local it's kinda frustrating.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ahhh, yea tulips are really not my favorite either. They are impossible to arrange, they droop or stick strait up and once you get them where you want em, they keep grrowing, the ones that droop curve and grow up and ruins the line. They can be brittle and snap like asparagus and they are not long lived and are dead before the rest of the flowers.They are fun to flex (that's bending the petals backwards) giving them a completely different look. I do not find them particularly magical but they must have some property I am unaware of.
Roses are not as hard as one would think. You stick a bare root or full grown plant in the ground and viola!, you will be growing a rose bush. Be sure it is in a sunny location and deep water about once a week. I am not sure on the particulars of planting them where it snows so check that out first. The pruning can be challenging, research ways to properly cut them and your plant will live for years. There is one in Tombstone Az that is over 130 years old and it was from a cutting that was sent from Scotland https://tombstonerosetree.com/worlds-largest-rose-tree/ . The rose is really much more hardy than one wold think. There are prize varieties and master gardeners can be a bit fanatic about them.
To top it off they are super magical and have ton of lore attached to them.
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I scattered a couple packets of mixed marigold seeds over a neglected 8' patch of open dirt beside the garage. First I'd scratched the dirt loose with a steel rake & added a handful or 2 of potting soil to the scratching; then scattered the seeds, lightly sprinkled another handful of potting soil on top &' walked away. I lightly watered the area with a spray nozzle on the hose once a week. In about a month the seedlings were leafing out, and in another month - Wham! Golden yellow blooms in abundance. I'm in zone 5 growing conditions. Marigolds repel insects ... Frankly they don't smell as nice as they look. But they sure were easy & abundant.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

SpiritTalker is in your state so she would totally know what does well there, I believe she is speaking of these plants https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagetes which are commonly called marigolds. They are beautiful and are present on the Day of the Dead Altars. There is another plant called pot marigold, botanically known as calendula, which are also lovely and have great skin healing properties. Spirit do those do well there? I have a heck of actime growing them. It may be it just too hot here, or wrong spot.
Bb, Firebird
― Jim Morrison
― RWEmerson
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Yes, both types do great. When I'd mentioned "mixed"'marigolds I had a packet of the taller yellow one FBF has pictured plus another packet of the shorter, variegated "pot" variety & mixed them together. I liked the little ones so much I planted some more with my tomatoes to repel bugs. Their blossoms can be added to summer salads for color...don't taste like much, but are pretty.

My earliest vege garden was a 2 foot wide, 10 foot long strip alongside my chain link fence that got full sun all day. I purchased plants already started at "Fruit Basket" garden store -both Roma & Big Boy tomatoes & green peppers, but did carrots & radishes from seeds. All are low maintenance. You can't plant in mid-Michigan until mid-May due to night frosts. In June i sprinkled pot marigold seeds between the plants. I had veggies to spare from just 2 plants of tomato & 2 pepper & the flowers were pretty. Both tomatoes & peppers need weight-support hoops or cages for when their fruits come. Pole beans were easy too. I couldnt get lettuce to start in-ground but it did OK in containers, but needs continuous replanting. Sigh. I really miss gardening (wistful smile).

Containers like the 5-gal buckets 1/2 filled with a potting soil & peat moss mix work very well for tomatoes & peppers. For the heck of it one year I'd planted squash & pumpkins. Never again! Their prickly vines consumed the back yard. Onions are another one I won't do again. They reseeded themselves & spread through the lawn. it took 2 hard winters to finish them.

Flowers I've got that come back all on their own are rose, tiger lily & Lily of the Valley, plus the unfortunate climbing-rose-bush-from-hell from a single cutting taken from my dad's house where there was a trellis to guide it up & over the porch roof. Sigh. It cannot be contained or killed or dug up (I've tried). It reroots from fallen twigs. It has climbed the pine tree.

I stole, er transplanted may apple plants from the woods along side the road. They've done well and spread through the wee small shaded areas with no help from me. I think the squirrel relocated some white lily bulbs because they came up in a different place than where I'd put 'em. (head scratch)

Oh, too much chatter. Get me started & I can't roll to a stop. Full brake.

Return to “Gardening”