Can A Divorce Cause Depression?

General discussion/questions about life, death, sexuality, love, teen concerns, lifestyle, & work.
stormofwind

Can A Divorce Cause Depression?

Post by stormofwind »

My friend is going through divorce she is longer happy
barely responsive most time . Her marriage has been over for many years
Her husband was never there to support her and be husband.
He wants out.. Ifeel I'm dealing with somebody who has clinical depression.
I don't know there times I try to help her. But most of the time
Nothing really helps her. Crystals me talking with her.
I'm being pulled in her dark hole.
I love her. just don't know what to do.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Can A Divorce Cause Depression?

Post by Firebird »

The short answer is yes.
There are some major events in ones life that causes too much stress, they can cause depression also, divorce and death are right at the top there.
Bb, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
barker

Post by barker »

Marriage is a real eye-opener. It can take until it fails before somebody gets the shock that, actually, "I don't like this world the way that I thought." She has been happy thus far, I say she can recover permanently, with proper self-care.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

A divorce is a lot like the death of a cherished ideal. it's a loss of a familiar home environment. It's the loss of the identity of who you imagined yourself to be. The loss has to be worked through before the accomplishments of survival can begin to surface. It takes months and months to realize the struggle is over & you recognize you can move ahead more easily without the baggage. So yes, depression is a normal reaction to loss. Any changes are hers to make, not yours. You can only be supportive & do not criticize.

What you can do is to help yourself to emotionally detach from her emotional pit. Step back. There is no benefit to her if you crumble no matter how much you would willingly bear the burden for her. Instead, you shift the burden onto the Universal Oneness on her behalf, you don't carry it yourself. This is something every empath must learn.

The fact that you love her is your burden, IMO. Don't make it hers by expecting any kind of a normal response while she moves through her own issues. Knowing that you have such strong feelings for her may actually add to her reluctance to interact with you. Your desire to help may come across in her fugue condition as being too eager & place too much expectation on her. She may not want to take advantage either.

And in the mundane, can she support herself? Or was she reliant on the ex? Can she hold a job? Does she have a job? Some women who have been nurtured to expect to be taken care of do not know how to function in a day to day world where they make their own decisions to house, feed & clothe themselves. Someone from such a background is like a fish out of water. It's daunting & overwhelming &'that adds to depression.
ListensKeenly

Post by ListensKeenly »

Yes absolutely it can.

My advice for you is not to try to "fix" her. She is going through a huge change and loss in her life and she needs to grieve. If it persists you may need to encourage her to seek help but it sounds like the divorce issue has been relatively recent so allow her the time and space to feel what she is feeling.

I know that dealing with depressed people can be exhausting and difficult so do make sure you take care of yourself also. Mental illness doesn't just impact on the person suffering with it but it can effect friends and family too. Make sure you have someone you can trust and talk to also.

X
barker

Post by barker »

The best thing for any illness: the practice of patience. Maybe half an hour at a time in a comfortable chair.
All illnesses want to hurry and escape, this does not.
stormofwind

Post by stormofwind »

She has become a alcoholic gained alot of weight because it..
I worried about her she says it helps with stress which I know it's a short fix.
And she has young child .. I wish I knew what could say to her.?
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Stop criticizing her life. It is not helping.
stormofwind

Post by stormofwind »

I'm not saying a word to her about being alcoholic her actions spell it out for me.
telling what she drinks .. makes me so sad.
I'm worried for her I seen death omen about hrer last year it made very ill..
As empath and she is too I feel her and she feels me..
I realize it's hard for her getting divorce but she has alot health issues..
That can be made worse by trying to wash your problems ..
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

My very best friend in the world is depressed and deals with it by over eating. And she eats the worst kinds of foods when she does this overeating so it’s all fatty, fried, and covered in cheese or ranch. It has caused her so many more physical health issues that she has to deal with on top of depression. However, I know my friend. She does not want me to point out her flaws, even if it’s because I care about her. I know she that by me pointing out (what I see as obvious) will only cause her to recluse away from me. Nothing I say or point out is going to make her change. So I have to choose: do I say nothing, and stay friends? Or, insist she needs to take my advice and loose a friend? I go with the former most of the time. It don’t want her to have health issues but I don’t want her to push me away either. When she is ready to get help, I want to be someone she can come to and talk to, but I have to wait until she is ready. Good luck to you and your friend.

Rosie
barker

Post by barker »

smiley_dance Hey hey hey! It's me the wax thing.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Svetlana1 wrote:“What is marijuana e of marijuana gets its name due to its wax-like appearance
uh oh :surprisedwitch: better back off the pipe! I do not understand what you are trying to say here....And would you please swing by the intro section and let us know a bit about how you came to the path of the witches? Thanks
Bb, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
stormofwind

Post by stormofwind »

Well she got courage to finally leave him..
Just being away from him will help her greatly..
I never knew really how bad it was till I read about gaslighting, a form of verbal abuse.
Sigh..

Return to “Life, Death, and Love”