Homosexuality and wicca

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Astro Logical 1

Re: Homosexuality and wicca

Post by Astro Logical 1 »

I'm just a sweet transvestite
From Transexual, Transylvania
Let me show you around
Maybe play you a sound
You look like you're both pretty groovy
Or if you want something visual
That's not too abysmal
We could take in an old Steve Reeves movie
https://youtu.be/AR6wKRWFOoE
Love and Blessings
Siona

Post by Siona »

Corbin wrote:Not to mention Apollo's brother Dionysius.. a suspiciously feminine male youth?
There are myths where Dionysos was raised as a girl to avoid Hera's wrath, although he was still eventually found. Not just Dionysos, but classically Apollon as well was often regarded as a fairly feminine deity, although that doesn't seem to receive much emphasis these days. Theory is that it is because they are 'foreign' gods who were feminized when brought into the pantheon, earlier on in history. And on the other hand, the wild hunter aspect of Artemis is often regarded as quite masculine these days, and Artemis was regarded as masculine in some qualities, but that wild nature was actually seen as feminine by the Greeks, and something young girls needed to be rid of to become women. The cultural lens was quite a bit different from the one we have now, it's interesting what was lost and what changed without that cultural context following it through the years.

Though all that does swing it all back around to gender again. To go back to sexuality, Dionysos and Apollon are both known to have taken both male and female lovers. Where Artemis is still well known for shunning love in most myths. Of course, the cultural context and acceptance for both are, again, quite different than today's view, though that doesn't diminish their importance to people today. There's a wealth of queer mythology out there to explore through meditation, devotion, ritual, etc., even if it doesn't often seem to be the focus for some practices or books.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Is there any books on classical Greek queerness? I am quite interested in this. I know the city-states also had local variances in terms of gender.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

Lady_Lilith wrote:Is there any books on classical Greek queerness? I am quite interested in this. I know the city-states also had local variances in terms of gender.
Here is one I found doing a quick search:

https://www.amazon.com/Homosexuality-Gr ... 0520234308
barker

Post by barker »

I'll just add to this topic: Transvestism is the best (the only) way to come at divinity (is the choice to care about Earth) - everyone suckers you in for "do we care about this bullshit," and your body joins in. You have to stand alone, to be a will..

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”