Suggestion for self initiation ritual?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
L.J.Hex

Suggestion for self initiation ritual?

Post by L.J.Hex »

I have taken a long break from writing my book of shadows. I started it last year on May 6th, just after Beltane. And I decided back then to have that date as the beginning of my year and a day. I haven't been as active with my craft as I would have wanted, other things have pushed it aside from time to time, but I want to keep up with my plans.

How did you do yours? Any suggestions and ideas what kind of a ritual would be a thing to do? The things I have in mind is to charge up my BoS a new necklace I should get soon and with little luck I might get some new tools which need their "baptism" also.

Also I'm still onto the craft feeling more and more into it as time goes by. I feel like taking things on the next level in a way. Some kind of a self initiation is what I have in mind, I know when, but I don't exactly know how. :flyingwitch:
By my feet the flowers of witchery abloom.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Suggestion for self initiation ritual?

Post by SpiritTalker »

35 years ago I'd planned my dedication for noon at Summer Solstice. I'd scouted & selected a site in a local woodsy area that I could drive near & then back-pack to. I made my own incense & tunic, wrote out all my circle-ritual words etc etc etc. I took the day off work. The thunderstorm was unexpected. The rain dissolved the ink of my written text before I'd even walked to the site. My carefully crafted incense & wet matches were useless. I felt like a drowned rat in my soggy tunic slapping my knees. Talk about an initiatory ordeal :| . But I persevered, ad-libbed, went with the flow of Nature. And precisely when I'd raised my blade & called the Sky Lord there was a simultaneous crack of thunder & blast of lightening striking a near by ridge :shock: . Way better then anything I planned :lol: .

My point being that no matter what you think you're going to do ... The Powers might have their own ideas, or not. It becomes clear over time. Trust it. Be totally honest or don't bother. Dedication is Real. There was an offering-sacrifice taken in addition to the fruit I'd brought as offering - the moldavite jewel I'd attached to the handle of my athame fell out somewhere & I didn't miss it until I was home.

Now, if i were a sensible person I would've stayed home & done an indoor rite cramped into my bedroom instead of traipsing out into a thunder storm. But ... My heart, mind & spirit were set to carry on no matter what. No retreat. Nature taught me several lessons in that short time. I've told this story before so hope nobody mind's reruns.

The only ritual I knew was to cast a circle, call the quarters, invite Diety ( :shock: ) then make the pledge of honor & dedication, followed by a thanksgiving offering that it be accepted. Back then I'd only had 1 tool & I'd already consecrated it. The ideas you have for the BOS & necklace would be a consecration in addition to making your pledge of dedication. You tell the tool what it's meant to do, introduce it to the elements & bless it in the the names of your deities.
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

Thanks for your reply SpiritTalker. :D That's really cool story. The thing about the thunder reminds me of something that happened to me years ago.

The place I already know, unless I come up with something new. I have a special spot in a forest near by and I even found a nice flat stone to use as an altar. Near everybthing, but that spot is hidden really well. I have never seen anybody go there. (Its the forest where the crows keep following me around all the time, I don't remember if I told about it?)
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

Oh dear how I love this thing. Its so beautiful. I wonder if I should charge it next month or when I do my initiation. If the night of 21st is clear, then I might charge it right away. :fairy:

SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

What a gifted artist. :). So much symbolism ... I'm thinking the 8'beads could represent the holidays & the roots of the underworld & branches of the cosmic realm of the World Tree encircling the holy star unite the 3 worlds?
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

SpiritTalker wrote:What a gifted artist. :). So much symbolism ... I'm thinking the 8'beads could represent the holidays & the roots of the underworld & branches of the cosmic realm of the World Tree encircling the holy star unite the 3 worlds?
They do! She stated that on the description. There was one with obsidian beads on it, but it was already taken so I took the one with red glass instead. I like the colour a lot. I'm fairly certain she makes all of these one of a kind as she keeps updating the shop and the ones which are bought are gone and new ones have been put up. I would link her facebook page here, but I'm not sure if its against the forum rules? I'm thinking about going to visit this person some time, I checked out pictures on her website and she has a really nice altar set up. Gives off very pleasant vibes from just looking at it.

I really love this necklace. I'm considering to charge it during Ostara if there's a clear night. I was wondering about ways to make it a protective amulet kind of thing. Bit like I did with my other necklace, but this one I like so much, I really want to make it powerful.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

L.J.Hex wrote: Also I'm still onto the craft feeling more and more into it as time goes by. I feel like taking things on the next level in a way. Some kind of a self initiation is what I have in mind, I know when, but I don't exactly know how. :flyingwitch:
In my own experience, it all depends on exactly what you want to self-initiate yourself into. Witchcraft could easily be divided up into particular practices:
-scrying & divination
-potion making & herb lore
-spirit work
-energy work
-spell casting
Etc.

All of these divisions will take at least a year to become proficient at :)
L.J.Hex

Post by L.J.Hex »

My focus has been on spell work, more than anything else really... Meditation and rituals are coming close second to that. I'm such a newbie on everything, that's why I keep asking about things here. :P

EDIT:
I felt like writing so I continued my BoS. I had been thinking of taking a good big portion of the book to be used as a diary, so that's what I did. Its bit difficult to plan things out in advance as the book has gazillion pages and I'm leaving blanks for future additions in places. I'm dividing it in four books to make sense to the chaos. I'm happy for having the foresight to buy a book with 700 pages. Although this sure isn't a pocket model.

What ever I come up with in this thread, I will write down right away. Its about time I get on with this as I'm drowning into all sorts of information I've gathered. :mrgreen:

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”