I.D. Assistance

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
Venkelos

I.D. Assistance

Post by Venkelos »

I'm having a difficult time getting some of my crystals identified to my satisfaction, and I'm hoping you all can help. I have them sorted on Imgur already, so for ease I'll just link to those galleries.

This is the main batch of unknowns. I believe 1 is Dalmation Jasper, 2 is Carnelian, 3 is Garnet, 4 is Shiva Lingham without the proper shape, 10 is Bloodstone, and 12 is Howlite. I'm not positive on any of those, and no clue on the rest.

This second gallery is nearly fully labeled, and I trust those answers enough unless I'm told otherwise.

This is all labeled and I'm certain they're correct - just including it so someone can go "yeah, you're right" and validate my certainty.

Thank you!
OdinsRaven

Re: I.D. Assistance

Post by OdinsRaven »

Hello, hopefully, we can help identify some more of your crystals. Below are my opinions for the first gallery.

1. Zebra Jasper

2. Carnelian

3. Garnet

4. Shiva Lingam

5. (Brown striped) Zebra Jasper

6. This one is a bit more difficult to figure out but I'm pretty sure it's Jaspilite (Tiger Iron)

7. Tiger's Eye

8. Aragonite

9. Citrine

10. Bloodstone

11. Dragon's Blood

12. Howlite

And in the second gallery;

3. Rhodonite
Venkelos

Post by Venkelos »

OdinsRaven wrote: 1. Zebra Jasper
5. (Brown striped) Zebra Jasper
6. This one is a bit more difficult to figure out but I'm pretty sure it's Jaspilite (Tiger Iron)
7. Tiger's Eye
11. Dragon's Blood
Thank you!! I have comments on the ones I left in your quote.

1. Zebra Jasper! I'm not sure where I got Dalmation from - is there another common stone that's "Dalmation" something?

5. That's interesting - do you have a source (obv. prefer a website) I can check this against? I don't doubt you, but I want to know, mineralogically, what makes them so radically different in appearance.

6. That's probably a good guess - I remember that when I bought them there were several "tiger" varieties adjacent to each other.

7. This one is the only one that bothers me from your list - if you check out the third link, #5 is for sure Tiger's Eye, and these are all in the same light within a few minutes of each other. That is, except #7 here, which I had to shine an LED bulb over to get the details to show - it's far darker than the other for-sure TEs. Could it be something like the Jaspers, above, with the same base set but different mineral inclusions?

11. As in Dragon's Blood Jasper? That's cool, I have a smaller and less-shaped one of those, but never thought to make the connection between them.

Thanks again!!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

1st 1-moss agate, 2-carnelian, 3-garnet, 4-jasper? 5-?, 6-hawkseye, 7-tiger eye, 8-petrified wood or aragonite?, 9-calcite, 10 bloodstone,11-ditto
2nd 1-?,2-turmelated Quartz, 3-Rhodenite, 4-? 5-Quartz, 6-fossil, 7 & 8?, 9-flint
3rd 1-lavender Quartz or pale amethyst, 2-selenite, 3- malachite, 4-5?, 6- hematite maybe , 7,8,9-? ,10-sodalite
Venkelos

Post by Venkelos »

Differences! I'll wait out a few more responses and then I'll compare internet pictures.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk
RavenClaw

Post by RavenClaw »

Thank you for showing your collection. I was only able to identify one which is in your first album. #7 is a red tiger's eye. As far as I know, tiger's eye come in three colours: golden, red and blue.
Knowledge without understanding is not wisdom. (An excerpt from a message I channeled from a Deity.)

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”