The Spiral Dance--Question about Editions

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
Tristan Jay

The Spiral Dance--Question about Editions

Post by Tristan Jay »

Hello, I'm doing some initial reading and trying to figure out books that I will look into after I'm done with Wicca A Guide For the Solitary Practitioner. One of the books that came to my attention on many recommended books list is The Spiral Dance.

I did a little bit of investigating, and found some reviews that raised questions in me about which edition would be best. One reviewer said that they were disappointed that some material from the early edition has been removed for the 20th anniversary edition, in accordance with the author's change of views. The reviewer in question seemed to feel that something was lost, some passages that they personally found beautiful in some way.

I've encountered this sometimes, and although some authors and readers will say that changes and revisions don't lessen a work, I have encountered revised editions where the flair and spirit of an earlier version of the book does loose something. In some cases a newer edition does have valuable additions, but I will keep the older edition anyway, because the beauty and character of the earlier edition has been lost.

So I'm really curious about if anyone can comment on the differences between editions of The Spiral Dance. Do the newer editions lose some inspired moments, or is the newer 20th anniversary edition just as effective, with nice additions? Or is the 10th anniversary edition have the best of both worlds?
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Spiral Dance--Question about Editions

Post by Firebird »

I think she makes some good notations on the differences she discovered over the years. I didn't notice material taken out, but then I have the 20th ed only right now. My original ran away with someone.
I would say it has plenty of great information and any edition worth a read.
BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Taptim

Re: The Spiral Dance--Question about Editions

Post by Taptim »

I also have the 20th edition. Indeed, it seems that it has been "enhanced" and adapted to a more recent society (as it changes really fast) but that's why I would eventually recommend this one, which might be closer to the current author's point of view and historical research.
As I didn't read the first edition, I can't say if there were any major changes, but the 20th edition is an excellent book that had an impact on my practice.
If you're a book collector (sometimes I like to have different editions of the same book ^^) having both and making comparisons when you've finished your reading might be enriching ?
Anyway, Starhawk is a wonderful author, any of her books is worth reading !

Return to “Book Reviews”