Mysticism?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Just Jane

Mysticism?

Post by Just Jane »

Could someone enlighten me on some main points of mysticism?
Are there different divitions of this? I have read about pagan/christian/buddist/jewish mysticism.
just wondered if anyone followed this and could tell me just a little about it...
Comus

Post by Comus »

As far as I know, "mysticism" is not a formal religion, but the mystic (otherworldly or magical) aspects of any religion (such as Judaism, Islam, Christianity, whatever). This may help...

Definitions of MYSTICISM on the Web:

The belief that one can achieve direct consciousness of God or truth through meditation and intuition. In mystic practices, one attempts to merge with God or the source of creation.
www.geocities.com/sorchagriannon/terminology.htm

the articulation of experience beyond any symbolization
home.salamander.com/~wmcclain/ev-glossary.html

the belief in realities or truths beyond the present reach of reason.
www.willdurant.com/glossary.htm

Deals with Jewish mystical concepts related to Kabbalah.
www.judaism.com/glossary/gloss1.asp

direct communion with the divine through behavioral practice
faculty.juniata.edu/tuten/islamic/glossary.html

The doctrine that the nature of reality can be known by direct apprehension, by faculties above the senses, by intuition. "Mysticism demands a faculty above reason, by which the subject shall be placed in immediate and complete union with the object of his desire -- a union in which the consciousness of self has disappeared, and in which therefore subject and object are one" (Encyclopedia Britannica, 9th ed. "Mysticism"). ...
www.theosociety.org/pasadena/etgloss/mp-mz.htm

Belief in the possibility of Union with Divine Nature, trust in spiritual Intuition as a means of acquiring knowledge of Mysteries inaccessible to intellectual Apprehension; the study of God as Personality.
miriams-well.org/Glossary/

Generally speaking, a mental practice in which the mind is stilled so that it experiences the highest and most abstract conception of Godhead or Ultimate Reality free from any distracting thoughts whatsoever. Orthodox forms of mysticism include the Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius of Loyola, the Spiritual Guide of Miguel De Molinos (Christian), the classical Qabalah (Judaism), Sufism (Islam), Yoga, Buddhism, Zen, Taoism, etc. ...
www.jwmt.org/v1n0/glossary2.html

A belief that beyond the visible material world there is a spiritual reality which may be called God that people may experience through meditation, revelation, intuition, or other states that takes the individual beyond a normal consciousness.
www.spiritual.com.au/dictionary/dict_m.html

Sometimes called the interior life, mysticism is a way that reaches for immediate (meaning no mediator or other mediating influence) awareness of God, and beyond that, for identity in God (in the words of Catherine of Siena, "My me is God"). Mysticism implies an intense spiritual commitment but recognizes that progress along the path is attained by Grace alone. A mystic's relationship with God is intimate, constant, and boundary-less, until finally only God remains. ...
www.zoofence.com/define05.html

The belief that knowledge of divine truth or the soul's union with the divine is attainable by spiritual insight or ecstatic contemplation without the medium of the senses or reason
www.innvista.com/culture/religion/diction.htm

a conscious (and usually disciplined) quest for direct experience of union with the divine.
ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rels/002/terms/

a religion based on mystical communion with an ultimate reality
obscure or irrational thought
wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Mysticism (ancient Greek mysticon = secret) is meditation, prayer, or theology focused on the direct experience of union with divinity, God, or Ultimate Reality; or the belief that such experience is a genuine and important source of knowledge. In the context of epistemology, it can refer to using any kind of non-rational means — such as feeling or faith — in attempt to arrive at any kind of knowledge or belief.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysticism
Idz qaala
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

That should answer your question for you :D
Thanks for that post comus - it was very informative.

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”