Connections Between Thor and Apollo

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Connections Between Thor and Apollo

Post by SnowCat »

Is anyone aware of any connection between Thor and Apollo? I have a conversation going with a friend about that, but neither of us knows very much.
Daughter of Sekhmet
Corbin

Re: Connections Between Thor and Apollo

Post by Corbin »

Interpretatio Romana (or more specifically) Interpretatio germanica perhaps?

It was the practice by the Germanic peoples of identifying Roman gods with the names of Germanic deities which apparently occurred around the 1st century AD, when both cultures came into closer contact.

Romans encouraged the equating of foreign deities as versions of their own as their Empire grew. It was likely as much for political and cultural intergration as theology.

Not really my area study however I don't see many Apollo attributes in Thor.
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

Um... Delphi oracle was destroyed (by Celts?) and replaced by the temple of Apollo
Thor has a nice hammer to destroy things.

Seriously though I am intrigued about these deities too since I know so little about both of them.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
OdinsRaven

Post by OdinsRaven »

Hello. The connections that I can think of between Thor and Apollo are generic, not very specific, but there are a few.

Both are sons of prominent Gods often considered to be at the top of their Pantheon. Thor is the son of Odin and Apollo is the son of Zeus.

Their mothers were lovers of the Gods but not their wives. Zeus married Hera and Odin is married to Frigg. However, the Goddess Leto gave birth to Apollo and Thor's mother was an Earth Goddess often called Jord.

Thor and Apollo were protectors of mankind. Apollo was called the "averter of evil" and Thor was known for his benevolence to mortals. Thor was commonly depicted as a warrior that protected over his people and blessed them. Apollo was known for protecting people by forewarning them with prophecies and watching over seafarers and refugees.

They were highly respected and esteemed Gods who were worshipped across many lands. Their cults and influence spread beyond Norse and Greek cultures.

They both fought against a giant serpent/dragon and survived. Apollo traveled to Pythos and fought the serpent Python. He killed Python and renamed the city Delphi.
Thor was on a fishing trip and hooked the Midgard serpent Jormungand. They prepared to fight when Thor's companion, the Giant Hymir, cut the line and Jormungand escaped, slithering back into the depths of the ocean. According to legend, because he didn't kill Jormungand, Thor is destined to fight with the serpent during Ragnarok but this time they will both die.

Both of the Gods travel by chariot. Thor's chariot is pulled by goats and Apollo's chariot is pulled by fiery horses.

The other Gods and beings of their pantheons were often intimidated by their power and influence. Nobody wanted to be on their bad side.

There is a variety of animals associated with both of them, most notably the Raven.

I hope this helps to answer your question.
-Raven
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

Thank you. We had gotten as far as the sons of major gods thing. I thought other commonalities existed, but my brain was refusing to cooperate.
Daughter of Sekhmet
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

Thanks OdinsRaven, you rule.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”