Setting a Circle

Many pagans and witches use prayer as a form of worship and for requesting help from deities. Share and discuss prayers here.
Inquisitor85

Setting a Circle

Post by Inquisitor85 »

Hi I'm fairly new to this and I have a question that I think is probably a bit daft but here it is, and apologies in advance. Is it neccessary to set a circle when praying to your chosen deities or is that only used for spell casting?
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Setting a Circle

Post by Firebird »

In my opinion that is up to you, but I don't think it is necessary because a time may arise when you need to speak with them in a hurry or in a place where casting a circle isn't practical. Some people don't cast circle when casting spells either.
I personally prefer to send off magical work of all kinds from inside a consecrated circle.
BB, Firebird

Ps, please swing by the intro section and tell us a bit about yourself, Thanks :fairy:
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Corbin

Post by Corbin »

(personal thoughts)

Some people don't by choice, others don't really understand circles. Beginners should cherish circles because they work: so many people collectively believe they work (so there is collective symbolism and belief or 'imprint' behind them).

In prayer and magical workings it's all about foci however.

When creating a circle you define what is inside and out and are creating a working model of the universe: a microcosm of the macrocosm. You bring the simplified elements of the working universe inside and magic or/and deity. You do the work at hand and then release it with raised energy (with prayer for example emotional honesty has serious energy) into the macrocosm where it will hopefully resonate and echo outwards.

And wait for the ripples of the tidal return. As above, so below. You may consider that its easier to speak to someone across the room then shout at them across an open field. Here a defined ritual or spiritual space is useful.

However very personal relationships with deities can suppass the need for a circle as can using an item of devotion such as a dedicated symbol, shrine or altar. They are all foci when they create a connection.

If developing psi-witchery for example the auric egg can become your microcosmic circle and prayer and magical acts composed through concentration, visualisation and determination (belief or will).
JennAdeleK

Post by JennAdeleK »

Inquisitor85 wrote:Hi I'm fairly new to this and I have a question that I think is probably a bit daft but here it is, and apologies in advance. Is it neccessary to set a circle when praying to your chosen deities or is that only used for spell casting?
I'd say it's up to you how you want to do it, and to trust your intuition.

Personally, I don't cast a circle for prayer... only for spellwork... but that's just me. :flyingwitch:
"Everyone deserves the chance to fly!"
~Wicked~
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I think there’s pros and cons. A circle keeps magical energy contained until we’re ready to release it and it. Personally I don’t use a circle for daily prayer or devotions or to crystal-gaze or remote-view.

Return to “Pagan Prayers”