Lizard comunication

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Lizard comunication

Post by Firebird »

I've always loved lizards especially the Western Fence lizard, aka the blue belly.
I have noticed more and more around my house lately.
One was really tiny that I would see on the patio frequently. I would stop and talk to it and he would stop and look at me, that cute way they cock their head. But I haven't seen it for awhile, unless it is the one I had this moment with the other day.
So I was sitting on the lawn when I noticed a lizard running across the plywood that covers a corner of the pond. I went over to look at him, tell it how cute he was and asked if he was hungry. He stood there with that what are you saying to me sideways look. So I went to seek out a red worm.
When I returned he was still sitting there, so I carefully place the worm about 3 feet from him. He jetted faster than you can imagine and gobbled that thing up strait away. I asked if he wanted another, so he waited while I fetched him one...and we did a third worm. Shoot that has to be a pretty full meal but I went to find another. He came across the board at me, cautiously of course, I move closer than before hoping he would eat out of my hand but shy of about a foot the worm squirmed away and fell into the pond, yea... fish happy now too.
Lizard hung out for a bit, then ran through some of the bushes nearby getting very close, stopping to do a few push ups before he ran across the patio.
I may be able to identify him if I see it again, It was clear he had lost his tail once.
That was a fun afternoon.
BB, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Lizard comunication

Post by SpiritTalker »

Amazing critters. It just makes you feel good.
Hazel Moon

Post by Hazel Moon »

What an adorable story. Thank you for sharing that with us. It put a smile on my face and brightened my day.

I absolutely love reptiles in general, but lizards have always been extra special to me. As a child, I used to catch them in the wild, keeping them for a day or two and feeding them before releasing them back where they came from. I made friends with many lizards when I was younger. They're just so adorable.
We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
Love knows no limits, not even death.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

I have considered myself somewhat of a lizard wrangler, I make a slip knot on the end of long grass to lasso them. Very easy to catch that way. Turn them on their back and rub their belly they get mesmerized. One time though I had a tough time getting the knot to back up and had to cut the grass real close to his neck, That scared me, I didn't want to harm the creature, I haven't done it much since that incident.
How did you catch them Hazel?
BB, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Hazel Moon

Post by Hazel Moon »

My method for catching lizards was to just pick them up, carefully holding them at the very base of their tails, right up close to their body, so it wouldn't break off. That was like a safe zone, because farther down their tails are more fragile, and I didn't want to hurt them so I had to be very careful.

Then I would hold them in my hand, speaking softly and petting them. I found that they like it if you rub them under their chin. Some of them would respond to this by closing their eyes and opening their mouths. I swear it looked like they were smiling or laughing.
We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
Love knows no limits, not even death.
Black Cloud

Post by Black Cloud »

The Aztecs had a day named Lizard. They believed anybody born on Lizard, that things would come easy to them. Your lizard friend had things come easy to him with you hunting for him. :)
"People with a high tolerance for boredom can get a lot of thinking done." -Stephen King
“For every woman is at heart a witch.” -Charles Leland
“Men argue, nature acts.” -Voltaire
“Our life is the creation of our mind.” -Buddha
“Any person capable of angering you becomes your master.” -Epictetus
“Facts don’t cease to exist because they are ignored.” -Aldous Huxley

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”