the old Slavic deities?

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
GregoryLionborn

the old Slavic deities?

Post by GregoryLionborn »

While I have an incredibly powerful draw for my mom's side, I also have an extremely vested interest in my dad's bloodline's old ways. For me, I've found a particular love for both Piorun and Marzanna (Polish names for them) - and chiefly the changes of Marzanna over time. Her later portrayal as a malevolent being instead of a Goddess of winter, death, and the like. Things not evil, but easily vilified externally. Piorun/Perun is easier for people to understand, and he was my introduction to the world of my father's ancestors' beliefs.

That being said, I am locked on the California coast, and have little in the way of learning more about the Slavic gods. Even more thorough internetting has granted me little that I didn't already know. I was curious if anyone else knew much about the Slavic gods and/or their practices and rites performed by those who follow them? I am (pardon the pun for Marzanna) dying to learn more about them.
Eternity begins, and ends, with the ocean's tides.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: the old Slavic deities?

Post by SpiritTalker »

“Slavic Witchcraft - Conjuring-Spells-Folklore“
https://www.amazon.com/Slavic-Witchcraf ... 1620558424

“Slavic Folklore”

https://www.amazon.com/Slavic-Folklore- ... 0313336105
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Hey Gregory :wave:
I found this info here with a listing for Marzena, close spelling so maybe the same?
'Slavic Deities Redone'
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=20245
An this was a real good thread much thanks to members Bychan Wulf and moonraingirl.
'Slavic Pantheon'
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=34327

I also looked around for a southern California Slavic society or some such group but did not find anything. Seems there is a concentration in the Sacramento area and more groups and church's in that area. Long way to go for fellowship. I did find this facebook group page that might be interesting if you have facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/123540450359

bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SapphireRoad

Post by SapphireRoad »

I guess one can start with Rod and Slava as creators
although the supreme creator seemed to be called Ramcha.
ᚩ ᚷ ᛒ (God and Goddess runes in union)
tea_and_pigeons

Post by tea_and_pigeons »

Hey Gregory!

I've been very interested in this lately as well. I'm Russian and never really knew anything about Russian paganism, so I'm reading up on it to see if I feel any connection to specific deities. I just started reading this Russian book on the mythology (It's really meant to be a storybook for kids, but it is very thorough). It tells the basic mythological stories, and I am making a pantheon family tree to better understand it myself.
Russian mythology is difficult, since there was barely any literacy in pre-Kievan Rus' and all of these stories were passed down by word of mouth. The author of the book I'm reading has done her best to compile all the mythology from available sources. I'd love to discuss this in more detail!
GregoryLionborn

Thanks for the input everyone!

And to:
tea_and_pigeons wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:50 pm Hey Gregory!

I've been very interested in this lately as well. I'm Russian and never really knew anything about Russian paganism, so I'm reading up on it to see if I feel any connection to specific deities. I just started reading this Russian book on the mythology (It's really meant to be a storybook for kids, but it is very thorough). It tells the basic mythological stories, and I am making a pantheon family tree to better understand it myself.
Russian mythology is difficult, since there was barely any literacy in pre-Kievan Rus' and all of these stories were passed down by word of mouth. The author of the book I'm reading has done her best to compile all the mythology from available sources. I'd love to discuss this in more detail!
That's really interesting! In my research for my dad's family from Poland, I eventually came across a couple things. One is a general resurgance in pre-Christian Slavic practices, and the other was actually the "Native Polish Church", which has a very complex and curious web about it. (meant that in a mostly positive way lol) I did end up getting the "Slavic Witchcraft" book from Amazon, which is basically just a very lengthy spell list, rather than offering much in the way of in depth information, but it's still a very solid list.

I also got "Seasons of the Slavic Soul", which I haven't started yet, but it covers all manner of religion and spirituality, their ties, and more. All from a Polish perspective, though I'm sure anyone of Slavic origin or preference culturally/spiritually would find it intriguing! I'm eager to get started on it.

I've been really hoping specifically to connect with people who actually practice and have direct knowledge from passed on tradition. Ideally overseas. But it seems to be a very difficult thing to accomplish. :\
GregoryLionborn

Hope I didn't sound like I was ignoring you two, Sapphireroad and Firebirdflys, I appreciate the reference and the "big names" for the gods. I had also heard that the pantheon plays a similar role as Hindu, where they're essentially sentient and individual, but also part of that larger "universal god". I also learned that we have a god that seemingly has ties to Indra from Hinduism as well, which is very curious. (though it seems to be adopted later on, it's still a fascinating connection if true)
tea_and_pigeons

Post by tea_and_pigeons »

It would certainly be interesting to hear from those who currently practice the traditions as they were passed down! The Native Polish Church does sound interesting (from a quick read of the Wiki page lol). What's the origin of "Seasons of the Slavic Soul"? Was it written by a current practitioner?
From a Russian perspective that would also be hard because the Slavic neopagan movement there tends to be a bit, uhh white supremacist. So I don't really know how I'd start a search for people that are more tolerant haha.
GregoryLionborn

tea_and_pigeons wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:56 am It would certainly be interesting to hear from those who currently practice the traditions as they were passed down! The Native Polish Church does sound interesting (from a quick read of the Wiki page lol). What's the origin of "Seasons of the Slavic Soul"? Was it written by a current practitioner?
From a Russian perspective that would also be hard because the Slavic neopagan movement there tends to be a bit, uhh white supremacist. So I don't really know how I'd start a search for people that are more tolerant haha.
Hmm, the author is a practitioner of Polish descent. As for the book itself, it's vague in some ways, but not what I'd call in a bad way. If that makes sense. It feels like the author was more or less in a similar position as our quest to learn and understand what we can, and the book was the result of her accumulation of knowledge in order to log what she's gathered and pass it on as well. That said, the book itself is very short, but arranged into chapters based on seasons (interestingly, I assumed the book's title was a well worded metaphor, but it's actually quite literal!), and in it she recounts what she's learned from her travels (Poland), as well as speaking with people to learn what traditions and rites have been passed on, etc.

There's also a keen correlation to (as the Slavic Witchcraft book also makes mention of) Christianity, and namely how post-Christianity practice evolved along a similar line as Voodoo. Incorporating the Abrahamic God, the Catholic saints, etc... It's quite fascinating. Each "season" is ended with a page each to offer suggested questions for reflection, and suggested practices for that season/intent. Again, though, it's very short compared to what books on Wicca and many other pagan paths can offer, so don't expect toooo much if you're interested in getting it. (or find it for a cheap enough price. The 10ish USD I paid - i think - isn't that bad, in my opinion.)

And yikes. Yeah, regrettably a lot of pagan paths have a strong draw to those kind of people. Especially since, in my experience, Slavic practitioners (and many Slavs in general tbh, at least from my experience with the Polish community here) are often very humble and quiet when they're genuine, so you'll get the bad eggs wielding tradition in a harmful way, while the positive ones are left unseen.

While I'm not concerned about it in the Polish wing of things, I absolutely share your concern in general. Granted, I also generally am a cautious person and while I like to be friendly and positive first, I also get picky with friends and connections as a protective measure. A lot of those bad eggs like to pull people over slowly, which is both sad and dangerous.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”