Winter Solstice in Australia

Chat about pagan and Wiccan holidays.
Locke

Winter Solstice in Australia

Post by Locke »

Yule is fast approaching for anyone living in the Southern Hemisphere (as i have been led to believe) and as such I'm wondering if anyone more experienced in Wiccan and Pagan holidays could give me advice on how to celebrate?
This is for my own curiosity as I dont quite consider myself a follower of Wicca. Please help if you can, it would be much appreciated.
All the best in these trying times,
-Locke
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Winter Solstice in Australia

Post by SpiritTalker »

Try to pin down what you’d enjoy to express the season.

1. What do you want to celebrate.? What’s the nature related theme?
2. Do you Enjoy any seasonal traditions - decorations, breads-cookie-candy-beverage associated with the season?
3. Consider weather - can you go outdoors?
4. Do you enjoy doing ritual to alter consciousness? To commune with the Forces of Nature?
5. Get supplies as needed.

I keep things simple myself. I make popcorn for the birds & hang suet seed cakes, grab some dried corn, nuts & raisins for the squirrels, catnip for my feline buddies, & peppermint-hot cocoa for me. I go outside and watch the sunrise - or sunset if I over slept - while drinking my cocoa, & leave the treats for the critters, meditate a bit & then scurry back indoors to warm up. One Yule I’d tied three ears of corn together with a red ribbon. A squirrel ran off with the ribbon - to decorate his nest, I presume - and came back with a friend for the corn. They also like Doritos chips & doughnuts 🍩.
Black Cloud

Re: Winter Solstice in Australia

Post by Black Cloud »

A major difference in Australia, in reference to Wicca, is the direction the shadows move in the Sun. Ritual movements are often reversed by practitioners of Wicca in the Southern Hemisphere.
See following link for an explanation: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art52366.asp

Many Mesoamerican traditions (i.e. Aztec, Mixtec, Maya, Zapotec,...) saw things differently than modern Wiccans and their ritual movements reflected that.
"People with a high tolerance for boredom can get a lot of thinking done." -Stephen King
“For every woman is at heart a witch.” -Charles Leland
“Men argue, nature acts.” -Voltaire
“Our life is the creation of our mind.” -Buddha
“Any person capable of angering you becomes your master.” -Epictetus
“Facts don’t cease to exist because they are ignored.” -Aldous Huxley

Return to “Sabbats and Esbats”