Help! Confused about all the different deities

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
skytwinkle

Help! Confused about all the different deities

Post by skytwinkle »

Hello everyone!
I am deeply confused about all the names of different gods and goddesses people talk about. The Divine/One, Triple Goddess, Horned God etc. are ones I understand. However, when more experienced Wiccans start referring to their gods and goddesses by names in other religions— the most common ones were Ancient Greek, Roman, Celtic, and Egyptian myth names (ex. Aphrodite). I have a few questions:

What made you choose these named gods/goddesses?

How do these deities from other religions fit nicely into Wicca? What do they do?

What’s the relationship between them and spirit guides to you? (if you chose one or both, and how it works if you chose both)

Should I do the same? I feel pretty content with just the few “nameless” I mentioned, and I haven’t been attracted to other deities/religions yet. I also don’t have any ancestry with any ethnicity/nationality I mentioned, but I feel like I’m missing out on something.

I hope someone can answer a question at least, my brain is turning to mush! :evilwitch:
Image ”The day is for the humans who live on Earth’s surface. Come the night, and this belongs to the souls and spirits of the dead to whom the Moon alights for.” — J.M of Bariandaran
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Help! Confused about all the different deities

Post by Firebird »

Every ethnic group has ancient lore. Many people go with what is associated with their roots, but not always.
You may have to read and research the different pantheons to find who sings to you. Many times deity calls out to those who would listen, and perhaps becons your further exploration. Some never hear this yet build affinities with energies they resonate with.
Whatever the case, patience is a virtue. Revelations come when we least expect. In letting go, one gains what he seeks.
Spirit guides are not generally considered Gods/Goddesses and could be animal guides or perhaps an ancestor,
Many pagans work with Gods/Goddesses, spirit guides, totem animals, fairies, genus loci, and more simultaneously, some may use none. Unless you are a part of a group, which usually has some sort of tradition that is followed, you are open to mix and match or keep within a certain backgrounds God stories and myths.

Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
skytwinkle

Re: Help! Confused about all the different deities

Post by skytwinkle »

firebirdflys wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:55 am Every ethnic group has ancient lore. Many people go with what is associated with their roots, but not always.
You may have to read and research the different pantheons to find who sings to you. Many times deity calls out to those who would listen, and perhaps becons your further exploration. Some never hear this yet build affinities with energies they resonate with.
Whatever the case, patience is a virtue. Revelations come when we least expect. In letting go, one gains what he seeks.
Spirit guides are not generally considered Gods/Goddesses and could be animal guides or perhaps an ancestor,
Many pagans work with Gods/Goddesses, spirit guides, totem animals, fairies, genus loci, and more simultaneously, some may use none. Unless you are a part of a group, which usually has some sort of tradition that is followed, you are open to mix and match or keep within a certain backgrounds God stories and myths.

Bb, Firebird
This makes much more sense, thank you! I put in the question of the spirit guides vs deities because I thought the line would become blurry between what/who you call for help or guidance. And yes, I’ll try and do some more research of myths. :)
Image ”The day is for the humans who live on Earth’s surface. Come the night, and this belongs to the souls and spirits of the dead to whom the Moon alights for.” — J.M of Bariandaran

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”