What NOT to do as a New-Comer to the Craft

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

What NOT to do as a New-Comer to the Craft

Post by SpiritTalker »

The type of witch you are will be revealed as you discover what comes naturally and what you’re most interested in. It’s a part of connecting to your daily environment.

All paths share that witches are drawn to Nature and appreciating the flora and fauna, and the paranormal appears in their life. So don’t try to find where you’d fit by matching what you already believe to any historical practice. You would fast outgrow such a path if it exists. Instead, do consider what you want to learn about and follow-up those leads. You’ll grow into a path that holds your interest.

Don’t worry about adopting a Witch-name. It’s not really relevant to individual practice. If you want to create a magical persona then use a D&D gaming-deck or similar for practice.

Don’t buy formal ritual tools until you’ve tried out a path and found that it fulfills your goals. Tools will vary by path. The absence of formal ritual tools can’t stop anyone from worshiping or from practicing their Craft. Do build a starter-kit with a few basic supplies - salt🧂, water🥛, candles🕯, heat-safe bowl🍵, incense🥢, a bit of vege⚱️oil, notepad 📝, & DIY with what you already have.

An oath has spiritual consequences so don’t pledge to a deity or to a path right off the mark because you could change your mind as you go along and gain experience. But if you do dedicate then state a time limit of a year & renew as desired.

Don’t post asking for someone to be your mentor/teacher. It’s against EUTM rules. No one but you can sort out your thoughts. But stay calm - people will want to help you to help yourself. Do post any questions that you want to ask & ask as many Qs as you like. Browse the website before panicking. And please, don’t put yourself at risk with Private Messages to strangers. And do check out open meetings in your area that welcome public inquiries.

For your safety:
Learn how to smother a fire before lighting one
Learn to banish before attempting to summon
Don’t burn poisonous plants
Do close what you open and dismiss those you call
Always dilute essential oils in a carrier oil
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What NOT to do as a New-Comer to the Craft

Post by Firebird »

Don't call yourself a Baby Witch!, :annoyed: although that is really a personal peeve.
You may be new to the path but that doesn't make one a baby.
NewB is my second peeve. But thats just me. :roll:
Other good words would be maybe freshman, greenhorn, newcomer, tenderfoot, novice, beginner, rookie, fledgling... :wink:
Fledgling is especially nice because it indicates you are beyond a baby and ready to absorb the world.

DON 'T rush, there is a great deal of information out there and it can be overwhelming to the fledgling. This is one of the reasons it takes 3 to 5 years to become a High Priest/ess for those on that path. At the very least a year and a day of study, practice and digestion of info is a typical span of time to determine if this is something one wants to continue.

Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

In honor of our pet peeves I’ll change the title and remove the curs-ed “newB” ... & I also gnash 😬 my teeth at “baby-Witch” because it suggests the newcomer wants spoon🥄 feeding and it just doesn’t work that way. So, up-up-&-away all Ye Fledgling broomstick :flyingwitch: riders!
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Oh! LoL, I didn't even think of the spoon feeding! Good point!
Thanks for changing topic title, that wasn't really necessary.... I mean sure, newB, is a common description for folks trying out Anything new, not sure why the term makes my brain flat.

Here's another:
Don't expect things to fly or vanish with the flick of your wand, this is real life...not the movies.
Note:
Flying on a broom is a state of mind sometimes facilitated by psychotropic herbs,
which is a whole lesson in itself young practitioner!
:flyingwitch: :flyingwitch: :flyingwitch:

Bb, FF
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “F.A.Q.”