Differently abled people doing magic differently

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
NeverMoonAWerewolf

Differently abled people doing magic differently

Post by NeverMoonAWerewolf »

I was thinking about how people on the autism spectrum may not be able to go along with some instructions on how to learn spiritual stuff-for example, at the moment I have real issues with meditating, which hurts my Buddhist practice some. It is not always like this, but I know other people on spectrum, also with ADD/ADHD have similar problems.

From there I went to thinking about deaf, mute or blind people or even those with slight mental handicaps - I know one witch with Down syndrome for example - and even those with mental health issues.

So I did a little digging and found some very interesting websites by differently abled people. Too many links to post really, but maybe if you want to explore those differences and learn from them you may want to google deaf,blind, disabled pagans and you will find a whole lot of information. Not only on ways magic is done differently, but also about the challenges differently abled (and chronically sick) people face attending rituals and festivals.

I think pagan communities have a lot more to do to include everyone.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Differently abled people doing magic differently

Post by Firebird »

Thank you for this topic, I think many potential pagan practitioners might be put off by things that might be too challenging to their specific issues.
I my self have to write cue cards when the brain fog is too much. Seems kinda crazy after all these years but the fog is leftover from a lifelong health problem that sometimes still flares, even though I have been treated and more or less cured.
One year at pagan pride our group was leading a ritual, about 60 people were in circle and one gal in a wheelchair wanted to join, I told her that we would be doing a spiral dance at a point in the circle. She didn't think she would be able to navigate that, so I suggested she move to the center for that part, which she didn't want to do. I felt bad because her and her caretaker wandered off when we got to that part. Not sure what else I could have done to accommodate her. The center is a great place to be with all that energy circumambulating around you. We have had folks in the past who weren't feeling well to go to the center for this part and say they felt much better after.

Here's some resources NeverMoon posted, viewtopic.php?f=12&t=39412

Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”