Body electric

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
rjmamula14

Body electric

Post by rjmamula14 »

For those of you who have heard the song “I sing the Body Electric” the lyrics seem to relate to Wicca/pantheism in that is about how the energy of our bodies is one with the universe.

Now here is why I am bringing that up. I first heard the song as a child in the 1980s as the theme song of an exercise show called “Body Electric.” I thought the song was written for that show until the past week. I went on Wikipedia to research a movie from my childhood called “The Electric Grandmother.” I learned that it was based on a short story from the 1960s called “I Sing the Body Electric.” This prompted me to do further research to see if there was a connection to the exercise show and I learned that the song was from the soundtrack of a movie titled “Fame.”

Anyhow, what are your thoughts?
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Body electric

Post by Firebird »

It's funny I remember the movie Fame being real popular but I never saw it, or heard that song. Wow, that movie is over fourty years old now!
But to take it back a little further, I Sing the Body Electric was a poem in the Leaves of Grass by Walt Wittman. I think all versions stemmed from that even though he doesn't actually use that verse/line in his poem.
And yes the song has elements in it that sound very "earth centered".
One of the things that I have mentioned before is that the body does have a electrical componet that spark of life, if you will. And since electricity can never end it can only change forms ...gives me comfort in knowing that that part of humans will endure throughout time in some form! So death not ends it.
Bb, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
rjmamula14

Re: Body electric

Post by rjmamula14 »

Thank you for your insight

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”