the four elements

Talk, spells, rituals, and questions about the four elements.
flinch

the four elements

Post by flinch »

is it possible to forge a wiccan circle (the four elements) in one person or would you need all four people if you want a complete circle

Flinch
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Technically, you are made up of the elements[ and spirit] all in one person, so you could. Wiccan circle? Ritual circle? I don't know much of Wiccan practice, in regard to this. You can be a 'one person' circle with my path, though. It's microcosm = macrocosm, you in all things - all things in you, a Buddhist could probably put it better. We all have the spark within.
Draconis

Post by Draconis »

yes you can cast a circle for one person theres no 'correct' number as Eretik said you are made up of the elements, usually when i cast for myself I use incense for air, a lit candle for fire, amestyst (sp?) for earth, water for water and myself as spirit. However thats jsut me theres no 'right or wrong' way its personel preferance, as long as your comfatable with it then its 'right' for you.
All of lifes little problems can be solved by beating the buggers on the head with a broom.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I haven't cast a circle myself yet, but considering there are plenty of times when you are not able to meet with others or when you are casting something very personal then I would think it's ok. After all, we solitaries have to be able to do it somehow.
[Hearthwitch]

Post by [Hearthwitch] »

I'm not quite sure why you would think that a circle requires four people to be cast. Any number of witches can be involved in casting a circle. I've cast circles by myself and have been part of public ceremonies where dozens of magickal practitioners helped to cast the circle.

This rather reminds me of a thread from a lj community I visit. It was about how some people label themselves into a corner by saying there a earth/air/fire/water/etc. witch and then say they can't do magick from the opposing element.

Frankly, it's a bunch of hooey.

As was said already, we have all elements within us. We may have an affinity to one or more but that doesn't mean we can't work with the other elements. Besides, just how many elements there are and what they are depends on tradition.

Hearthwitch.
flinch

Post by flinch »

thanks, I didn't know that, the person who taught me as much as I know had always told me that you have to have four people to forge a circle for larger spells. I've never tried too many big spells, I'm trying to work my way up. I don't wanna start with really hard things until I can master smaller ones first...

Flinch
Kifes42206

four elements

Post by Kifes42206 »

i would suppose that u can have more or less than four people because when i do a circle with my group we can have up to 9 people or as few as 3 depending on peoples scheldule and when that happens we double up on elements that are neccesary but are not present. Me being earth i have study much of the other elements so usually i would take the missing spot or the leader of the group if u have which u really dont need depending on the skill of people around u. I hope that helps :)
[Hearthwitch]

Post by [Hearthwitch] »

flinch wrote:thanks, I didn't know that, the person who taught me as much as I know had always told me that you have to have four people to forge a circle for larger spells. I've never tried too many big spells, I'm trying to work my way up. I don't wanna start with really hard things until I can master smaller ones first...

Flinch
You're right to start slow and progress as you gain experience. Just doing basic things like casting a circle and learning meditation will help you a great deal. These things aren't flashy but they can form a solid foundations for later learning.

As for the four person circle.... I'm not sure what this person has taught you but it sounds a little fishy. The four person circle sounds lifted from that awful movie The Craft. Or I think that's what it's called.... it's been a while since I saw it.

I would recommend finding some good books on Wicca and/or witchcraft. Below are my general recommendations for beginners. Each book is worth reading but if you can eventually get a hold of all 5, you'll see that they compensate for each other's weaknesses. They are also considered classics, that all Pagans should read. The books aren't listed in order of importance.

"Triumph Of The Moon" by Ronald Hutton- This is on the history of Wicca and Paganism. A good book to show you a few important truths.

"Real Magic" by Issac Bonewits- Want to know about magic and the rules of spellcrafting? This book lays down some basic theory in a fun and very readable form.

"A Witche's Bible" by Janet and Stewart Farrar- Here we have Wicca as it was first practiced.

"Wicca: A Guide For the Solitary Practitioner" by Scott Cunningham- Here we have a more eclectic style of Wicca.

"Spiral Dance" by Starhawk- A very important book to Paganism in general. It has some good exercises for the beginner.

Hearthwitch.
[Kate]

Post by [Kate] »

Me myself and I is ok with me. Around my town, people tend to stereotype wicca as hocus pokus blah blah blah. There are a few followers in my school, and only one of them I feel to be into it for the right reasons. Many seem to see it as, my life sucks, I need a spell to fix it. When I cast a circle, or attempt a ritual I perfer to be the only one there. I feel more relaxed, I feel as if I am in control. Also, the people I know I feel dont believe so yeah. There are circumstances where a group may be needed, but being alone isnt so bad.
Kate
flinch

Post by flinch »

Thanks for the list of books, I'll look into it. I already have a big one by Silver RavenWolf... but I'll check into those too and see which ones I can find....

There aren't many people at my school who do magic either and as far as people I trust well, no one to be completely honest.....
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Flinch, I hope you trust yourself.
flinch

Post by flinch »

I trust myself, bc I'm the only one who I can trust around here, where I live...
Kifes42206

Circles

Post by Kifes42206 »

the real truth when it comes to a cicle is you have to have a sense of the other people you are doing it with you want to be somewhat comfortable with them. You have to know then u dont want to be doing it with complete strangers. And if it doesnt feel right to open the cirlce with those people dont. If you do magic and dont have a good feeling about it it could really screw up your results and hyrst yourself or someone else. If the only person you have is you u can do and trust that you can do it successfully never doubt yourself because if you do once again dont do it. Do it when needed and respect that its is still magic so follow your feeling.
flinch

Post by flinch »

Hey thanks I guess i would have never really thought about it like that... and if I doubted myself I would have done it anyway....

Flinch
Kifes42206

Casting a circle

Post by Kifes42206 »

In my religion i was taught that if you doubt yourself you dont do it, if you have any drastic feeling such as hate or anger you dont do a spell and if your not comfortable. I just depends on you always be confident because you are creating that energy and you want it to go out in the best way possible, you dont want it coming back and bitting you in the butt. Because when that happens it really sucks.

Return to “The Elements - Earth, Fire, Air, and Water”