Book of Mirrors

Start your own thread named "[Name's] Book of Shadows" and add spells, rituals, correspondences, music, videos, etc. that you would like to keep for future use or share with others. Use as many posts as you'd like. It's not private, but at least your family won't see it. You can also get ideas from other people's Books of Shadows.
Baratoz

Book of Mirrors

Post by Baratoz »

I was wondering how many here keep a seperate Book of Mirrors or do you combine it with your Book of Shadows.

Here is a definition of the BOM/journal I grabbed off the net.

Book of Mirrors

As we walk the Wiccan path we are continually learning and striving to grow and change. Often this growth requires deeper personal exploration and sometimes hard, emotional work. The Book of Mirrors is a repository for the information gleaned from that work.

It is a place to record your reflections on the work that you are doing. This can include impressions felt before, during, or after a particular spell or ritual. You may also choose to record your dreams and life's amazing synchronicities in your Book of Mirrors and analyze how they fit into what is happening in your life at that time. In addition, the impressions you get or the things you see and feel during meditation or shamanic journeys can be recorded and explored in the Book of Mirrors.
Only through silence can we truly hear the words of the Goddess and God.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

That's how I define my BoS.

While I keep a seperate one for herbal stuff (because it's such a large and ongoing practice for me) I put everything else I learn and experience into my BoS.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

I keep several folders [black plastic with clear sheets for paper inside - cos of household kids and pets- means my work stays tidy!] on each area I study. I also have a 'good' book for my polished articles etc. I transcribe to this often, but my work books get used more. I think it's a good idea to record all your experiences anyway.
Semjaza

Post by Semjaza »

I try to write things down in a journal when I remember to, but it's not limited to 'magical' things. My notes on what animals are in the area, and what's going on daily are in there too. I keep a seperate grimoire, and a binder of useful articles/essays.

Cheers,

Semjaza
FFFF
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

i have a few seperate books but i agree with sercee, i always though that was one of the primary function of the BOS.
Baratoz

Post by Baratoz »

Thanks everyone for the input.

I see my BOS as primarily a repository of spells, rituals, customs, techniques and rules governing Wicca and the craft. I don’t like the idea of making it a daily journal as well. I think it would take up to much space and isn’t necessary. I don’t even add a spell to my BOS until I am satisfied that it worked. I keep them in a separate place along with other spells and rituals I am working on until I think they are ready to be put in the BOS. Of course, if something happens during a ritual or particular spell, or a major event happens I would make a note of it in my BOS.

I like the idea of having a separate journal I can take with me wherever I go and record my thoughts and experiences in it.
Only through silence can we truly hear the words of the Goddess and God.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

i can understand that, that what i would use it for and probably not bother with the diary aspect. but yeah all the sources ive read say it should include experiences of a daily nature aswell as the spells rituals etc.
WolfWitch

Post by WolfWitch »

My Mirror book is one of the volumes that make up my BoS. I have a copy of everything on my laptop but the hard copies are three books with the mirror book being the first and most written in.

WW.
The greatest advice I was ever given: It matters not what you believe. Only that you believe it wholeheartedly.
Suki1016

Post by Suki1016 »

I have a rather large BoS, so I have room to write in it like a diary, but I don't really like the concept because I try to keep the emotional attachment to it as happy as can be and alot of times my life is harder than I'd like so I don't like to "Dirty" it up like that. I just feel that I wouldn't be able to look back and feel good if I wrote down all the things that happen every so often, but I do write down good experiences and life lessons in it as well as spells, poems, rituals, ect. I think its a personal decision for the owner if they want to combine it or not. :D
The world seems not the same
Though I know nothing has changed
It's all my state of mind
I can't leave it all behind
I have to stand up to be stronger---Pale by "Within Temptation"
WolfWitch

Post by WolfWitch »

Why would that be "dirtying up" your book?

The Book should be personal and intimatly connected to the user/writer. The more that is added and in the words of the writer, the more interlinked it becomes to the creator. It's your right to choose what to enter and what to leave out, that I'd never dispute. But I am curious as to know why the idea of writting you personal thoughts would be dirty?

WW.
The greatest advice I was ever given: It matters not what you believe. Only that you believe it wholeheartedly.
Suki1016

Post by Suki1016 »

What I meant was that when I think life is unfair I vent and rant and say things that I don't really mean. I'd rather just write that in a notebook than put those bad images in my BoS. I often reread my BoS and I'd rather not relive my own anger. I hate when I get like that, no use remembering when you've learned all you can from it. I like to keep the connection free of all anger and the like. It helps me get the write mind set when doing certian things. That's my own feelings though. Not saying that everyone should do that. By all mean, write your heart out lol. :wink:
The world seems not the same
Though I know nothing has changed
It's all my state of mind
I can't leave it all behind
I have to stand up to be stronger---Pale by "Within Temptation"
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I think that's a good reason, Suki. While I put lots of things in my BoS I don't like to fill it with thoughts that are just empty and negative. I'll only put something like that in if it's constructive to something I've learned.
WolfWitch

Post by WolfWitch »

Okay. That makes sence.

Return to “Member's Books of Shadows”