Are Your Parents Like Mine??

Teenagers are a special bunch with concerns different than adults. Teens can chat with each other here and learn from one another.
[Haley]

Are Your Parents Like Mine??

Post by [Haley] »

My mom NEVER takes my side of anything! She said it was my fault I'm called a freak and people don't like me, and it's my fault Dad threw a bowl at me and nearly choked me, and it's my fault I'm failing algebra. She says that because I'm quite, dress in black and "look mean" all the time, I get picked on and called names. She said it was my attitude that get me nearly choked be my dad. And now she says I'm failing math because I'm lazy. NO!! NO!! NO!! THAT IS ALL WRONG!! Fleming (math teacher) can't teach worth shit!! He gives the class a few f*cked up jumbled bunch of examples, gives us work and expects us to do the work without asking for help! And when someone does ask he either does the problem for you and doesn't explain how he gets the anwser or he'll get pissed at you for not understanding EVERYTHING when he does it on the board! I don't do my work because I don't understand ANYHTING! I ask for help and he thinks I don't pay attention because I ask for help, then when I get home I STILL don't get it and don't do the work because I don't know how to start the problem. And today I found out that he laughed at my work on a test when he was grading it because my anwsers were so rediculous.
Suki1016

Post by Suki1016 »

I can say that I have felt like you earlier in my life. I know that just because you may act, dress and look different people think your a "freak" Or "weird" or a "Loser". I for one am not scared at being called such. I know they only say that because they themselves feel lost and alone. I try to understand that they are probably worse off than me emotionally. As for your math, maybe you could buddy up with someone in class? I'm actually a very shy, timid, and soft spoken girl in class (I get mad at myself because I am TOO soft spoken) but I always ask others for help if I don't understand. There's no shame in seeking some advice. Infact, maybe I could help you? I don't know what math your doing, but I could give it a shot. I have a 3.98 GPA. :roll: As for your mother. I'm not sure how to respond to that. My mom sometimes ignores me and sets aside my own needs, but I still love her and I know she loves me too. It didn't used to be that way though. I would just try to be understanding and stay out of their way. If standing up hasn't gotten you anywhere that is. Just know we're here for ya! :wink: Pm me if you would like to give me a shot in your math.
The world seems not the same
Though I know nothing has changed
It's all my state of mind
I can't leave it all behind
I have to stand up to be stronger---Pale by "Within Temptation"
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

i had a maths teacher like that and i have just finished highschool so depending on what the unit is i may be able to help aswell. as for the teacher himself the best thing you can do is go see the head teacher of maths tell them whats goin on and see if you can either get a new teacher or shifted to a different class.
as for your parents, i dont know them as well as you do so dont kill me if im wrong. but it seems they are uncomfortable with who you are, like the way you dress etc. and they are trying to get you to change by making it seem like the world wont accept you, i doubt they are doing this consciously but still valid because in reality its rarely a persons own fault if they get picked on etc. my mum is like that on some aspects of my being but i dont really care. and my dad barely knows my name so he doesnt matter. basically in all my ramblings i say dont give what other people think and say about you a second thought, just do what youve got to do!
Addalaide

Post by Addalaide »

I think eveyone has a math teacher like that. Its one of the hardest subjects for alot of people and thay use idiots to teach it.My teacher whould work it out, and hand you the sheet of paper back and not explan anything about it. She got very agitated with all the kids who asked her for help. Thay fired her last i herd because after thay did the test and saw all her students almost faild the math section she was fired.

I am almost exacly like my father so we dont arguee about anything, infact he told me he liked the way i dress way better then my sister cause i cover up, a little color whould be nice, but he only where black shirts as a kid so he understands. But my mom is the complet opasit of me and defends my sister over eveything. My mom finaly realized how people treat me one day at walmart right after i turned 16 and a man followed us to the car and i got in and sat down, he came to my windows and said, God loves you you dont need to worship Satan, Jesus is your savior, i looked at him and said Sir i have been a christion for 16 years and i am not a satan worshiper, and he just looked very stuned, my mom was very supried herself.( yeah that was befor i left christianity)

Hopefully things will ge better, i will keep you in my mind.
Merry Part
~Addalaide
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

ROFL
Ahh Christian fundamentalists. I love em and hate em.
It drives me nuts when I have to constantly recycle mormon or JH propoganda though...

About 3 years ago I did some High School upgrading to get into college. Math was one of the ones I had to take. My first teacher used to write "Calculus papers for the US military" so he felt that teaching upgrading kids high school math was beneath him. When we asked for help he literally said "No, the information is in the text book. Go read it". Then (I don't know if your school has teacher comment cards or not) our class was selected by the school to fill out a survey about his instruction. The vast majority of us said some not very nice things. The surveys are supposed to go right to the office in the hands of a student so the teacher doesn't see them, but he didn't tell us that, and he took them himself. The next day, after reading them, he basically told us all how wrong we were about him and that he's actualy very helpful and communicative we just never ask for help. So, we got him fired.

My next teacher was spectacular and I learned a lot, incidentally.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

why would the miliatary need calculus papers?
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

f***ed if I know.
Those are his exact words.
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

Suki1016: Thanks for the offer! You can expect to hear from me soon. :D Fleming said if I can do few problems form each lesson on chapters 2&3 then he'll consider using that to bring my grade up. I have an F so far. I've only turned in bell ringers and two or three assignments. :oops: The bell ringers count as a test grade by the end of each week and I pretty much bomb on that and he keeps going on about how the problems are from 6th & 7th grade books and they should be sooo easy. Bullsh*t!! Anyway, I hope I don't have to take algebra next year...I really want to have geometry.

Sobek: Don't worry I won't kill you! :D That is how my parents act. My mom more so. She tried to ge tme to change my career choice because she thought a modifier was wierd or something. I tried telling her it payed well it is what I wanted to do, but she still doesn't like it. I want to talk to her about A LOT of things but I just don't want her to open her mouth because everytime it does something bad always comes out. I hate that we can't talk without the conversation ending in me leaving the room pissed and her wondering what she said even though she knows exactly what she said! She always says something like "Well I'm sorry, but that's just how I feel." And she expects me not to be angry that she won't support my decisions for my furture even though she doesn't like what I've chosen. She just thinks that me being a modifier, a professional drummer, or a skateboarder are completely insane, irresponsible, and impractical occupations. *laughs* What till she finds out that I'm considering not going to college.......oh, I'll probably end up going anyway.....

Okay, sorry for that rant. It was stupid, I know. Everybody has communication problems with their parents.

Addalaide: I'm A LOT like my dad.....it's a little scary! Your teacher got fired?!?! I wish that would happen to Fleming!! He should totally get his ass kicked out of the school!! And so should Butta (he's exactly like Fleming but worse...or at least that's what I heard and I have him next semester.) Oh my gosh!! Someone actually said that to you?! I can't believe that!!....Well actually, I can.....

Sercee: That's what my teacher does sometimes. I hate it soo much! The point of being a teacher is to TEACH not to be a babysitter!!!! We don't have teacher commetn cards but if we did then I can garentee you that three of our teachers would be fired or at the very least in trouble with Dotson (the new principal.) I'm gald you got him fired. People like him shoudn't be anywhere near a school......Calculus papers for the military?? :?

I can't wait to have Mrs. John!! She's the high school geometry teacher and she's a related arts teacher for the middle school. She's soo much fun and I haven't even had her class yet!! Kim told me about her. She sings in class, loves metal, and doesn't get mad if you don't understand something!! I love her already!! :D
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

well you might aswell book a bed at the convent before you tell her anything lol
flinch

Post by flinch »

If it makes you feel any better, before I got my act together and actually tried in school, the teachers passed me with D's in algebra just so they wouldn't have me the next year. I wasn't a bad kid, I just wasn't a good kid. Anyways, I hate(d) math! But I might have a spell or something that's suppose to help with homework and school probs. I'll look at home tonight and get back to you, if you want it.

Flinch
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I think you may want to direct that spell towards memory or mental clarity. Unless that's what you meant, Flinch.
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

Sobek: lol Yes, perhaps I should. :D

Flinch: Thanks for the offer! I would like to get as much help with this as possible.

Sercee: Mental clarity? I could use more of that. :)
flinch

Post by flinch »

Ok, I couldn't find the one that I had but one of my best friends Erin gave me one last night for good grades on tests....

Before taking a test or exam, say the following:
"On this test I take today, I will recieve no less than A.
Earth, wind, fire, and sea, As I Say So Mote It Be!"
* it also helps to draw a pentagram on your test paper
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Uhh just be careful to draw the pentagram lightly and erase it after.

It's good to be proud and draw power from what you believe, but pentagrams on school papers tend to draw unwanted attention. I don't think that's what you want right now.
[Haley]

Post by [Haley] »

Great!!!! Test are what I really f*ck up on! Because I can't ask for help or anything like that. Pentagrams on my papers are the least of my worries. I don't care what anyone- especially Fleming- thinks about my religion anymore. I just tell them to shut their mouths because they have no idea what the hell they're talking about.

Return to “Teen Concerns”