The Covenant...grrrr

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
Storm

The Covenant...grrrr

Post by Storm »

Anyone else seen the ads for this film coming out? Good-oh, another film that, like 'The Craft' (grrrrr) makes witchcraft look like a kid's fantasy.

Blaaaaah.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

your point being. i think it looks good. if they tried to make it real it probably wouldnt be very entertaining would it?
Storm

Post by Storm »

My point being... I think it looks rubbish. The kind of film wannabes like watching because that's what they hope and wish witchcraft would be.

And they will certainly include many elements of wicca and witchcraft in the plot, but also give the 'witches' ludicrous powers and then of course they will go 'bad'. I personally believe that films like these give paganism and witchcraft a bad name.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

they do, but there is no sense harping and hooning over them. lots of films give the reality of thier central theme a bad name, thats life. they may include alot of true wiccan and pagan belief but again thats life. entertainment doesnt always have to be real, it has to be entertaining, the only place to find "real" stuff would be in documentaries. write angry letter if you feel you must.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I don't think it's too bad of a thing. I can't stand movies that blatantly put Witchcraft in direct contest with Christianity or other major religions, but The Craft, for example, was pretty fun to watch and showed good AND bad witches. I agree that it sensationalized it a bit (what movie/media production doesn't?) but if it makes someone interested enough to do some real research then that's one more person who knows the truth and can help influence others.

Bad publicity can still be good publicity if handled right.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

I get tired when people assume ghosts are like something out of the Grudge, the Ring, 13 Ghosts, etc.

That is a part of the reason I hardly tell anyone about my ability, because they think I'm involved in all evil and harmful ghosts and such.

(The other reason is because people think I'm already crazy! :D )
Storm

Post by Storm »

Sobek wrote:they do, but there is no sense harping and hooning over them.

That was just an irritated grumble. You'll know when I start 'harping and hooning' and having a proper rant. :wink:
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

LOL
I can't wait to see one of your rants!
Storm

Post by Storm »

Hee hee Sercee.

I'm new here, so I'm reigning in my rants at the moment. I think you need to be an established member of a board before you go 'off on one'. Lol.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Look over at your avatar, what does it say? Established member. Rant away, you've earned the points already,lol.
cnolan7263

Post by cnolan7263 »

I don't have cable anymore :shock: so I don't see the previews for new movies. The Craft never really bothered me - I guess maybe I think that if that's the type of thing someone's looking for, they'll be disappointed.

Whatever. ha. live and let live, i say!
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

LOL What Eretik said! You sure look established to me!
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

i love a good rant. but only if it has purpose
thatguy

Post by thatguy »

Well, I'm a real Jedi, and when the Starwars movies came out, I can tell you I was pissed! In fact, since my light-saber was red I had to start hiding it because Darth Vader uses a red-light saber and people would see me chopping up firewood with it (light-sabers are usually used for more practical matters, not always for glamourous fighting as shown in the movies) and would immediately assume I was evil.

Another thing which pissed me off was how the emperor was portrayed. Now you see, my Jedi students call me 'emperor' as this is the traditional honorific used by students towards their Jedi master. I also wear a black hooded robe, (this is my fashion sense and has nothing to do with being a Jedi) and occasionally blast people into oblivion by shooting lightning out of my fingers. Well I can tell you, I had to stop doing that right away. People would see me doing this, and because of my attire, and because they'd heard others call me 'emperor', they'd immediately assume that I was like the emperor in the movies.

These movies also encourage many misconceptions about the Force. For example, if you use the Force to make someone believe what you want them to believe (like Obi-Wan did to the storm-troopers in Mos Isely) their brains will liquify and drain out their ears within the next 30 seconds. For this reason, this technique is consider evil and forbidden. However, since a 'good guy' uses this technique in the movies, no-one had the foresight to codify a local by-law forbidding it. When I tried to bring this up at a city council meeting, no-one believed me until I demonstrated on some of the council members. Well, although the surviving members of the council agreed that I had a valid point, they claimed that they couldn't pass a new by-law until the deceased members were replaced. I can tell you, if I were a Baptist rather than I Jedi, I'm sure the proposed by-law would have been put to a vote that very night.

Another unfortunate circumstance is that these movies have encouraged many adolescents to take up the study of the force in a reckless and ill-conceived manner. For example, many, taking the movies as fact and wielding poorly constructed green or blue light-sabers (mainly cobbled together from plans found on the internet, and previously by mail-order catalogue), have attacked me in the street thinking that I'm an evil Jedi. Unfortunately, when faced with such a situation, I usually assume that these are legitimate Jedi-in-training seeking a sparring match. Many a time, a gentle blow (which I had merely intended to solicit a parry) would cleave these unfortunate youngsters in two when their sub-par light-sabers would fail. To add insult to injury, while transporting the bodies of these poor souls to an abandoned field for a proper burial, and sometimes even during the burial itself, I have been routinely harassed by local law enforcement. Not satisfied with my explanations of a Jedi sparring match gone sour, these officials would often detain and question me against my will. On a few occasions I even had to appear in front of a judge. This type of religious profiling just makes my skin crawl.

Myself and a few other Jedi even tried to bring a class-action suit against George Lucas. Unfortunately we were unable to raise enough funds for both legal council and the appropriate filing fees. Soliciting donations from the community was impossible and no lawyer was willing to work pro bono publico because everyone assumed that either the Jedi population was too small to warrant attention or (again because of my attire and appellation) that anyone with enough funds to construct something like the Death-Star could surely afford to file a lawsuit.

I won't even get into the frustration I've experienced over the historical, religious and philosophical inaccuracies put forth by the more recent Starwars films. Suffice it to say that any Jedi who was as moody or as staggeringly immature as Aniken Skywalker would be immediately dismissed by their teacher. Jedi training is a serious business, and Starwars has made a mockery of us all.

'Emperor' T. Guy.

P.S. ok, I'm not really a Jedi.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

roflmao!!!

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”