How did you learn Wicca?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
light side of the moon

How did you learn Wicca?

Post by light side of the moon »

I was just wondering... how did you find out about magic and wicca?

I learnt through a book. i thought it sounded like the perfect thing so i read up on it, later started meditating and practicing a few simple protection spells. i got better as i went and i'm so glad i chose wicca. how about you?
Last edited by SpiritTalker on Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Color of text & title
Exilus
Banned Member

Post by Exilus »

I was born and raised pagen, My whole family has practiced our religion for as long as we have family history for and thats a long time.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I found out about it years ago through some friends in response to the way my thoughts and feelings tended to lean. I didn't get serious about it until this year (I was finally able and 'ready') and I get my information fairly equally from books, friends, and nature.
Jeanne84

Post by Jeanne84 »

I found out about it almost nine years ago. A friend of mine and I would go to the library and just wander. We would spend hours just looking through titles. We got to the section on witchcraft, palmistry, and the like. It demanded my attention, so I read everything I could. Back then I was immature and didn't understand much of what I was reading. But, thankfully, the times and I have changed.
vonigan

Post by vonigan »

my mom told me when I was about 6 years old not to go any where near witchcraft. my mother raised me with no religion at all. when I got to the age of 16 I was naturally curious of such things after learning about these people that believed in some greater being that was supposedly watching over all of humanity, and that there was an enemy of this being. I studied a little on who this Satan was and it all started from there. I am no longer a satanist, for good reasons. now my mother brags to her friends about me :oops:.
that's my story.
spinneyhex

Post by spinneyhex »

I found a really dodgy witchcraft book when i was a teenager and went off into the woods looking for odd herbs and plants for potions, luckily did no perminant damage
Storm

Post by Storm »

Eight years ago (oh Goddess, where do the years go??) I was working in a bookshop and was put in charge of the Mind, Body, Spirit section. I picked up Teresa Moorey's beginner's guide to witchcraft and the rest is history.
jcrowfoot

torid tales of Juniper's early paganism :-)

Post by jcrowfoot »

A friend of mine in High School was really into witchcraft, and she sucked me into it. I was already studying occult stuff, actually. That came from a history book, where I stumbled on a reference to Dr John Dee and his ilk. Also, a friend of mine at the time (who was a college student) threw some books by Alistair Crowley at me, after hearing me ask about ritual magic.
So I had a rather, um, quick and early education. Also, said college friend was also hanging out with some metaphysically minded grad students who all lived in this house together.

They ranged from an atheist pagan using the gods as a psychological metaphor, to a semi-thelamite who taught a class on Eschatology at the University of Michigan. Also, the future chief druid for one of the largest ADF groves in the country also lived there. I went to some parties there starting when I was 15. I actually met Robin Wood at one of them. Everyone thought I was in college, except the friend who brought me. There were some close calls. He and I once went for a walk from the Samhain party (my first party there, actually!), only to find that it had been busted while we were gone. Fortunately, the fellow I was with was savvy, and we walked innocently by and back to the car. The cops never stopped us.

The irony of the whole situation was that their parties were never that wild. The sole reason it was busted was because a guy no one knew wandered into the party. (There were about 30 people there... it took a while for people to figure out that no one knew him) He was tripping on acid and had ulcers. For some reason he decided to help himself to some alcohol and started screaming that he needed bread. The neighbors called the cops. He didn't even take the acid there.

This is the official version. When I say I've been a practicing witch for 15 years, this is the time I generally count from, since I was serious and systematic at this time.

However, I also sort of invented my own paganism based on readings about Greek mythology when I was about eight or so. I set up my own temple in an ageing grain storage shed on my grandma's property. It was my little temple to Athena. (Me as a kid: Wow! A female god!) I had this huge statue of an owl that I took from my grandma's house. I had flowers picked fresh from the fields every day and incense taken from my grandma's stores. Also some scarves raided from the attic to make it look pretty. Sadly, my grandma taught Sunday school for 30 years, so she raided my temple and gave me a serious dressing down. Serious enough that I was Christian afterwards... mostly to make her happy.

So I maybe I should officially step down as a role model to future generations of pagans. :-D

The bug did come back later, and I've been practicing ever since.
Lady Lily

Post by Lady Lily »

Sounds stupid, but "Bewitched" was one of my favorite shows as a child. I would make up spells just like Samantha. Years later after the kids grew up and moved out I started searching the net for information about two or three years ago. Kinda got bummed when I found out there was no disappearing or flying involved. :lol:

Wicca just makes more sense to me than Christianity and I feel a lot more comfortable spiritually because I don't feel like someone is watching and judging my ever move and thought.

Lily
Pixie Tales

Post by Pixie Tales »

Grandma taught me everything she could teach me..

Then it was web sites, books, forum boards like this.. etc etc
Revolpathon
Banned Member

Post by Revolpathon »

i've met "magick" on a board called veritas (latin for truth i believe"
it was a site full of energy work and the like, i was 14 yr's or so back then

but i really just met wiccan/paganism 2 weeks ago while searching for techique's to astrally project so it was luck (or faith) that brought me here.

i've also watched the entire charm series (up to season 7) and i liked that very much and when i was a kid i watched sabrina (now they have this cartoon on nickelodeon of it but it isn't so much fun).
twilight

Post by twilight »

It first started for me when I went in a wiccan shop when I was young, and I was so amazed, I bought a Wicca book for teens while I was there but I was busy with school so I could never really learn fully (plus I had no money lol)

But now I have more free time and I'm older so I feel I can dedicate myself to this path now. I read some of you were raised Wiccan, that's great, I plan to raise my children (when I have them) Wiccan.
KalmaNyx

Post by KalmaNyx »

Ive always had a passion for aromatherapy and through that I learnt about crystals and their healing properties. When I was about 11 or 12 I started collecting a magazine called Mind, Body and Spirit which unfortunately I never got to finish collecting. However it had all sorts of information in there about crystals, aromatherapy and also witchcraft such as different people's experiences say with ghosts, casting spells to help you in your everyday life and also healing with angels. I was always interested but my interested lowered for a few years but after visiting Newquay at Christmas and visiting lots of Pagan shops my interest has grown again and so over the past few months I've been reading up on it more than ever. I don't consider myself a Pagan but I love reading about the different areas too, especially the history of Witchcraft which is really interesting to read through.
shedtroll

Post by shedtroll »

My mum bought a book. One of these quick guides on Wicca, that's when I found out. Some years past before I had a good look at it and started practicing....
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: How did you learn Wicca?

Post by SpiritTalker »

Old post

I had a mid-life turning point; while passing a bookstore my guide suggested I d find something useful. Cunningham’s “Wicca” was the book I bought. 💡bing!

Cunningham’s Solitary Wicca free PDF
https://cdn.preterhuman.net/texts/relig ... itioner.pd

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”