How to Share the Gospel with a Pagan

Discussion of Christianity and other religious systems. How can we explain our faith to Christians? How can you merge your faith in Jesus with your belief in the metaphysical?
Broken2nite

Post by Broken2nite »

oh I know that Eretik, and I have no prollem with poking a little fun at stuff. Some of my favorite jokes are about Catholic priests, hehe. I was just pointing out a common missconseption cuz I don't want anyone getting the wrong ideas. Fundementalists do follow the OT...and fundementalists scare me a little bit.
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

They scare me A LOT. No kidding there. You can reason and debate religion and philosophy with lots of people and agree/disagree, safe in the knowledge of tolerance if not full understanding,but fundies have a peculiar violence and antipathy towards all different viewpoints -if they ever had real power, we'd all be in the s***.Forced conversion anyone? I shudder at them.[shuddery noise here and shoulder shaking]
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

Broken2nite wrote: Errrr okay, now I have to point out something. I read the persons post above me, and the only thing I have to point out about that is she used only referances from the Old Testiment. Yes, the OT is in the Christian Bible, but as a general rule, we tend to follow the NT, since the OT is the Jewish Bible technically. We just borrowed it to get a better sense of our history. The only thing we realllllly use out of there is the 10 commandments, and even those are somewhat re-touched upon in the NT. A lot of things that are seen as harsh and whatnot are re-addressed and changed in the NT, which is what Christians follow. Just thought I'd point that out.

Alright, end here. GNITE!

Okay so not to start any fighting, and I mean not to offend or sound catty. But isn't saying that Christians only follow the New Testament basically saying "Well we really didn't like the old one, so we made a new one, changed stuff to suit us as we are now. So who cares about the old crap."

That'd be like me saying "Well, I know that Wicca says I shouldn't harm others but, that doesn't really fit well with me now. I think I'll change it to a new way of doing whatever I please!"

I was christain myself growing up, and this whole OT and NT is only one example of why I turned my back on that religion long ago.
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~
Broken2nite

Post by Broken2nite »

The Old Testiment is the Jewish Bible. It is included in our Holy Bible because it's our history and is where we came from. The Jewish people strugged A LOT. I've read the OT in its entirety, and I must say the Jewish people suffered, and Christians today (well, most anyway) view it as our sense of history, where our religion stemmed from, and we take to heart the stories and lessons to be learned, but we follow Jesus' teachings, hense the name Christians. When He came into the picture, he changed a lot of things. We follow His teachings as Christ our Savior, so yes we take some stalk in the OT, but the New Testiment is really where our salvation comes into play here. It isn't about not liking the old one; honestly has nothing to do with not liking it, it's respecting it enough to acknowledge it and learn from it, but the OT really belongs to the Jewish faith, not our own. The OT is their Bible.

Eretik---Fundies would looooove to have another inquisition *not sure how to spell that word* and I'd prolly be one of the first they'd send to their death. I'm the ultimate traitor ;-)
The Judge

Post by The Judge »

As this seems to be something that should be copyrighted:-D I'll ask first, can I use this opening post it might get thisguy to cool off a bit.:) thanks, and Blessed Be.
Do not attempt, Achieve
Do not hear, Listen
Do not go blindly forward, See
Do not judge, Understand
Do not forget, for in this you shall learn nothing
-The Judge
cloud

Post by cloud »

i love this article i think i read it some where else but wat the heck i decide its to good of an article not to read again and the whole jo-ho thing i found funny and interesting to hear from people with different experiences
yeah yeah yeah im a kid but arnt we all
SecretSilence

Re: How to Share the Gospel with a Pagan

Post by SecretSilence »

Wow, great article and thread. Why anyone feels the need to convert others to their faith has always been a mystery to me, though. :roll:

Return to “Christianity and Other Religious Faiths”