Corpse Bride

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
Storm

Corpse Bride

Post by Storm »

I just saw this last night. Not a patch on 'The nightmare before Christmas', but the visuals are excellent and the Corpse Bride is somehow exquisitely beautiful, despite the fact that she is a corpse!
[Kate]

Post by [Kate] »

Havent seen it, I will maybe rent it.
Kate
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

Well, it's hard for anything to hold a candle to 'Nightmare Before Christmas', that's one of my favorites by Burton.

I thought Corpse Bride was nice to watch, but I wasn't really able to identify with anyone, even the Groom (I forget his name). He was WAAAY to wishy washy. But I liked the single mindedness of the corpse bride, she really tried :)
Deirdre

Post by Deirdre »

I really liked the corpse bride...
I agree that it wasn't as good as nightmare before christmas, but i thought it was still very good... must have seen it about 20 times now :P
* ~ * Deirdre * ~ *

Just waiting for my mind to catch up with me.
_Cheshire_

Post by _Cheshire_ »

I fell in love with Nightmare before Christmas when I was still young enough to be the target audience, and I still watch it as an adult. Corpse Bride just didn't do much for my love of Tim Burton movies, it was alright. I watched it once, and that's good enough for me.

As far as NBC, I'll watch that every Halloween and Christmas until I die, methinks. lol.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

As far as NBC, I'll watch that every Halloween and Christmas until I die, methinks. lol.
Ditto lol
Pessamistic Angel

Post by Pessamistic Angel »

I third that , theres nothign like xmas coming and knowing you have an excuse to break open that film , he he he
i liked corpse bride but i was a little disapointed as it didnt hold to my expectations
:roll:
Heaven Wouldnt Take Me And Hell Was Scared Id Take Over...
Yes, Im Evil. But Its Part Of My Charm.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

that burton guy obviously has mental problems...i did like batman though
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Yes, but at least he has *interesting* mental problems.
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

yeah, im just amazed his themes come under childrens things...who-ever decided the ratings is stupid!
Orion

Post by Orion »

I'm an oddball, I never saw Nightmare Before Christmas. Therefore, when I see the Corpse Bride, I see the Corpse Bridge not Nightmare Before Christmas 2 to the fourth power. And I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As far as Burton, he is a twisted mind with a camera that I enjoy. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory... I am simply a sucker for that one ;).

And the final delayed rant, lol, is the themes coming under childrens' themes. It is really not that surprising. And the ratings matter little. The movies, shows, and games rated "Never show this to small children" are bought by parents, given to small children, and then parents rant and create watchdog groups about it.

Just a random spiel ending in, the Corpse Bridge is good if you allow it to have its own worth instead of matching it to a cult classic like Nightmare Before Christmas. :P
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as judge in the field of truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the Gods." -Einstein

There are always facts, the best most of us can do is try to continuously adjust our opinions to become closer to those facts. For that, there is Science and Philosophy. One to argue facts and one to argue opinions. The result: The big bang is some sort of sexual innuendo resulting from your subconscious.
Suppose;

Post by Suppose; »

Meh.
It was okay. I'm not going to deny it: I liked it because it had Johnny Depp in it. I don't think it's even close to being the best Tim Burton. I don't even think it can compare with The Nightmare Before Christmas. The only thing is, TNBC was a Disney flick, so I think Corpse Bride had some funnier, more adultish jokes.

But, hey, I'm not complaining. I love Johnny Depp, I love Tim Burton, and I love Claymation.

Can't go wrong.
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

I personally didn't like Nightmare Before Christmas too much. It might have to do with the fact that I had a friend OVERLY obsessed with it, and it annoyed me to no extent, haha.

I did like Corpse Bride though, not one of my favorites, but still a pretty good movie. I like Tim Burton, his kind of movies are "different" and I like that.

Blessed Be,
Wolf Heart
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~
[EarthWitch]

Post by [EarthWitch] »

I liked Nightmare and Corpse Bride...I thought they were warped and funny. But I am warped as well...I am not sure about the funny part...hehe
...not all who wander are lost... (tolkein)

I am the daughter of Earth and Water
and the nursling of the sky-
I pass through the pores of the oceans and shores
I change, but I never die.
-shelley-
brokenxdreams

Post by brokenxdreams »

The Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my top favorite movies. The Corpse Bride was very good, but somehow it put me in a kind of dreary mood whenever it focused on the living. I always have to fast forward through those parts.

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”