Angelite or Blue Anhydrite

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
jcrowfoot

Angelite or Blue Anhydrite

Post by jcrowfoot »

I wanted to point out Angelite IS blue Anhydrite. This is not clear in some texts, and I found out the hard way, to my regret.

:oops: Word to the wise, don't put Angelite in water. Bad move.
I did, and now all my "giveaway" peices are now coated with gypsum, and if I am unlucky, may crumble into dust. :-(

I was thinking about re-polishing the peices so that they are once again blue. Does anyone know if you need to coat them with something, so they don't just absorb moisture from the atmosphere? A coating of oil, maybe? From now on, I'm just packing them in salt the next time they need cleansing.
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

I don't know, but my favorite store carries angelite and I'm going there in the next couple days so if you don't have an answer before then I'll talk to them and see if they know how to protect it properly.
[Enlightenment]

Post by [Enlightenment] »

I also found out the hard way, hence why I now consecrate most of my Cyrstals/Stones in a bowl of Salt. Fair enough, I still use Salt Water but only when I'm 100% sure they will not disintegrate.

I'm collecting a magazine that's out over here in the UK called 'Secrets of the Stones.' It's a great source of info and tells you which Stones like to be cleansed with what. You also get a different Crystal with each issue :) I wonder if anyone else is collecting it, hmm, new post time...
~Blessings One and All~

***Knowledge really is Power***
[ravenwing]

Post by [ravenwing] »

Anhydrite is a relatively common sedimentary mineral that forms massive rock layers. Anhydrite does not form directly, but is the result of the dewatering of the rock forming mineral Gypsum (CaSO4-2H2O). This loss of water produces a reduction in volume of the rock layer and can cause the formation of caverns as the rock shrinks. Good mineral specimens of Anhydrite were extremely rare dispite its common occurrance. However, fine specimens of Anhydrite have been found in Mexico and Peru that show good crystal habit, a nice blue color and even a play of light internally in the crystal.
Lilac blue Anhydrate is sometimes called Angelite, for it's "Angelic" color.

The best way I've ever seen someone "repolish" one is to polish it with a fine cloth and then "dry" it using one of those food drying machines. you dont need to coat it with anything, the humidity in the air wont do anything to harm it.

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”