To Ride a Silver Broomstick... Silver ravenwolf...

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
kuotetsu

To Ride a Silver Broomstick... Silver ravenwolf...

Post by kuotetsu »

how would you rate this one? is it worth reading ?
Sercee

Post by Sercee »

No, no no, and no.

lol :)

There are several threads in this forum about books. Most of them touch on this one in particular. Skim through some of them and you'll find most of our opinions :)
Wolf*

Post by Wolf* »

---Wolf---

"And a godlike man--a man who is pure force--inaccessible to any compromise--is called a hero."
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

why did you say so? ::coolglasses::
Sobek
Banned Member

Post by Sobek »

lol, give these links a goosy.

ROFL, i got those by googling "silver ravenwolf" aside from her official page the rest of the matches are to the effect of "Why We Dispise Silver Ravenwolf"...i wonder what she thinks when she googles her own name?

http://www.ecauldron.com/opedtarnishedsilver.php

http://wicca.timerift.net/ravenwolf.shtml

http://www.fortunecity.com/roswell/vanthal/608/id57.htm
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

EDIT: I hadn't seen Sobek's post until after I posted mine, and after reading his links, I have changed what I am posting here.

Basically, there are other reasons to dislike silver ravenwolf, and part of it is another coven she absorbed a while back and the rep of that coven.
I'd point you to the website that has all the research into the company she keeps, but it is no longer there. I'm doing further research, but that will take time.

Seriously if you REALLY want to read Silver RavenWolf, and read her fiction. It's her best work. It's actually reasonably plotted, and while she's not a master stylist, she does knit a good yarn. It's "good fun" level stuff. It is not historically accurate, but I don't ask that of my fiction (unless it's labeled "Historical Fiction"). She skitters away from realistic description of magic a bit, but I'm forgiving in that area. Her work for adults is best. I never bothered with her teen fiction, so I can't tell you either way if it's any good or not. Too bad she gave it up when she discovered it wouldn't make her money!

Further if you want a good intro to Ecclectic Witchcraft (who actually does freaking RESEARCH), go get some Christopher Penczak. Seriously.
Inner Temple of witchcraft plus the Outer Temple of witchcraft is enough to get you started. (The first is about energy work and meditation, the second is about spells and ritual. Do Inner temple first...) He also happens to be a really nice (read honest! serious about enlightening his students! ) guy and I'd give him the price of a book several times over.

For fiction: If you want a more gritty and realistic stuff that is clearly horror, not horror lite like Silver, then read M. R. Sellars. "Harm None" is his first book. There are nine books and counting in his series. His stuff kicks serious tail. Borders often carries his stuff, though it's best to buy it on Amazon, since Borders has a tendency to not stock up.
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

gee thanks! now i know why u despise Ms. Ravenwolf... thanks for enlightening :wink:
Colubra

Post by Colubra »

I agree with jcrowfoot, Christopher Penczak rocks. His Temple of Witchcraft series and several of his other books are useful for beginners and non-beginners alike. I'm not a fan of Ravenwolf myself.
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

inner temple of witchcraft won the best magical book in 2003 right?
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Yep. And it really is worth reading.
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

i see.. so i better buy one :wink:
Wolf Heart

Post by Wolf Heart »

I don't reccomend Silver RavenWolf to anyone simply because I think she is far to "fluffy" about her work. Her book "Teen Witch" was the first book on witchcraft I ever read, it made me turn away from the religion, it sounded much to, well as I said then "gay". I later found out from a real witch that it is NOTHING like that and she showed me the way.
~*People fear the beast within the wolf because they do not understand the beast within themselves.*~
LaFiamma
Banned Member

Post by LaFiamma »

Here's another link to a review of the book which includes some very extensive quoting from the book and explanations on what is wrong with it (the reviewer also does acknowledge a few things that she sees as good, but notes that these are far, far outweighed by the not-so-good)

http://www.geocities.com/septegram/opin ... moresacred
Ashara

Post by Ashara »

I read the Silver books first...I won't say they were a mistake, but I did put off learning anymore for a long time. I read other books over the course of time and recently made my first educated purchase. I have a list of 13 pages of books that I want to read, a mixture of books, that I have gleaned from this website and a host of others. Of the non-fiction I only wrote down the ones that appeared on every list UNLESS, it was one that I knew from some other source was a good book. For example...Phyllis Currotts Book of Shadows was only on one list, but it is one of the first books I read after the Silver Ravenwolf books that actually made sense to me and excited me about Wicca. The sad part about the books are, my library (small town) does not have 99% of the books I want to read. Nor do I want to own all of the books (some 200). They do, thankfully, have most of the fiction. I just want to read all of them and then after I read them I'll choose which ones will stay in my permanant library. Even the discount bookstore only has the crappier books (I check from week to week).
But there are tons of websites that you can check tons of qualified websites (don't forget the books list on this one) that will recommend excellent books for you to read that will help you along the path.
Blessings
Ashara

Not a morning person doesn't even begin to cover it.

Next mood swing in 6 minutes!
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

there is one thing that i'am annoyed most everytime reading silver ravenwolf's books... as if's something's wrong.. i don't know why but probably its something about her prnciples that don't match with mine...

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”