Spells

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Yellow_day

Spells

Post by Yellow_day »

Is there a feeling you get when you know you have done a successful spell?
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Well, it depends. There are some I have done where you get immediate signs that *something* has happened. One classic (an old witch's tale??) is about a candle that seems to go out but lights back up again, or a candle going out at a specific time. (The later is for curses, and the candle being the candle representing the accursed.) I haven't seen these things happen very often, and I've been around a while. Failing that, people look for other signs that they got something. The direction that incense from a cone or stick spirals at a given time, or marks left in wax by burning candles, or even feeling a "pop" of energy at the end of a spell are all said to be signs that you got what you want out of a spell.

While I enjoy collecting every bit of lore my eyes and ears come across, I have to admit to being somewhat practical in this arena and simply wait until I see results. Sometimes, I'll do a Tarot reading about two weeks after casting to see if things have changed at all. I only do this when it involves a spell for someone else whom I haven't heard from in a while.

This sort of paranoid checking is seen as being counter productive to the act of spell casting itself, because you are meddling with the energies that you manipulated in the first place.

Let me explain. It's like messing with the space-time continuum too much when you are a time traveler. The cannonical advice for spell casting is to forget you cast the spell and go on with your life. You've done what you've done, and if you keep picking up those threads of power you may ruin what you've already done. Sort of like adding more spices at the last minute before serving a stew, that you know you'll have for leftovers later.
If that makes any sense.
Yellow_day

Post by Yellow_day »

It does make sense. Thanks. I did a spell yesterday that made me feel really powerful and dizzy and light-headed, I was just wondering if those are good indications.
Jovi1

Post by Jovi1 »

The feeling you described is a pretty good indication you did something, wether or not you were successful basically time will tell. Typically I don't do spells unless it is something I can't achieve on my own and all other means have been exhausted, so much so if that if I haven't done one in a while it isn't unheard of for me to blow the top of my candle up.
GenevieveDawn

Post by GenevieveDawn »

Being dizzy and light-headed comes from the energy raised during a spell. When you are done casting, you should do a technique called grounding which return the energy back.
...magic consists of removing the limitations from what we think are the earthly and spiritual laws that bind or compel us. We can be anything because we are ALL. - Mary Greer

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”