Beliefs on Old Souls?

Discussion of Reincarnation, Afterlife, Life-Between-Lives (LBL)...
SolitaryWitch88

Beliefs on Old Souls?

Post by SolitaryWitch88 »

I came across some article on the web somewhere, don't remember where exactly, sorry can't leave a link, but it mentioned the theories on old souls and new souls and reincarnation. It wasn't written very well, so I didn't get much info from it without getting confused :?: and I was wondering if anyone knows about reincarnation and old souls and stuff. I know a few minor details, but the main connections I don't get.
juliaki

Post by juliaki »

IMO, the whole bit about "old souls" and "new souls" is just a way to try and make people with low self esteem feel that they're more "speshul" than everyone else out there.

We're all made of star stuff...we're all built out of the dust of the ancients....we're all filled with ancestral blood. We're all "old", but in the cosmic sense of the universe, we're still very much children.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

I've never gotten the whole "old souls" thing either. People in super markets used to come up to me and say, "Your soul is ancient" because of something they saw about the look in my eyes. Dunno about that... I've had some "past life" dreams, but nothing really old. I just happen to know what happened to me during the 40's and also in the 60's. I think I had some resonances in France during the 1100's but not sure.

I don't think of that is really OLD. Just average.
amunptah777

Reincar-national

Post by amunptah777 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reincarnation

I can't vouch, because I can't access Wiki in Beijing, but my experience tells me this is about the simplest explanation you can get for reincarnation.

I guess my question is, what are you really looking for? Are you looking at it because someone told you you are an "old soul" and you'd like to investigate the matter further? Are you wondering if someone in your life has an "old soul?" Are you offended by the concept and think perhaps you may find a a way to explain such thinking?

Whatever, it's fine. I believe, personally. I've studied Buddhism/Hinduism for about 15 years and I'm pretty sure I have a handle on the what's, where's and why's of it.

The Egyptians, too, believed. Unfortunately, they misunderstood the concept and thought you come back in this body...tsk tsk...silly Kemetans....

For me, the most important concept is the middle-part, the between stage...called the Bardo by Tibetans.

But I could rant all day!!

Thet
SolitaryWitch88

Post by SolitaryWitch88 »

Well, I've been told I have an old soul, and I just wanted to find out more about the beliefs. I'm not too curious to find out who I was in the past, I've heard that could mess things up or you end up finding stuff out that you wouldnt want to know...I don't know...I've just heard stuff about it that makes me not want to find out.
amunptah777

Post by amunptah777 »

Alright. Well, Tibetans believe that you're supposed to remember certain things about your past lives because the Karma one incurs in one life transfers to the present.

I'm kind of middle ground on that. I've remembered things from past lives, but nothing I found really useful in this life except some pretty pictures...if you know what I mean.

My advice is that, unless you've had a vivid dream or a brief flashback which would indicate that you should follow up on something, don't even worry about it. :)

Thet
Zei

Post by Zei »

I once read that the only difference between 'old souls' and 'new souls' is just the choice that your soul chooses to experience.

In reality every soul was created at the exact same time, but sometimes souls choose the experience of wisdom and experience, and others do not. No choice is better or worse than any other choice, it's just a matter of what is beneficial to our development.

So I've heard.
jcrowfoot

Post by jcrowfoot »

Another idea...

This comes from a friend of mine who collects odd ideas. (he even has relatives who are Catholic, and believe that Jesus was an Alien!!!) He thought that maybe those people who are "new souls" aren't really new but spent time ensouled in other galaxies and didn't absorb compatible or relevant wisdom to this world.
sm177
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

I believe in reincarnation.I've seen old souls many times.Usually through the eyes of newborn babies.I believe we are not meant to consciously remember this.Those who do often are very troubled, it can make adapting to this life hard.My youngest grandson was the latest I saw.It's difficult to describe ..but ..I'll try ....I see sentience, I see pain, confusion and wonder.It's like they are aware of being here, but very confused by their form,it's like ..."HELP! I can't speak,what is this?Why can't I walk,do things?What am I?Where am I? Who am I?" I speak with them gently, I'll say " I see you, hello.I am Geri,you are a baby again.Welcome,your name is [name] and you are here to live a new life.Do not worry, it will be fine" Words like that.It soothes them, I know they hear me.After a little while the old soul recedes back and merges with the new self.Sometimes, I see it come through again,momentarily,it's natural, I think.Perhaps another way to look at it is guardain angel or spirit guide, that which is sent to be with you and guide you,part of you, but part of the greater also. Feel free to think me mental.
[Obsidian]

Post by [Obsidian] »

That's interesting. Do you think that people who don't follow the crowd in what they do have an older soul. For example, would you think that a teenager who deliberately decides to not hit the disco or bar and instead works on something that they feel driven to do is an older soul? Or a person that is more contemplative and less "rush in" based on emotions? Do you think that's a result of having more experience through your soul or would you say that's just a psych/personality of the new body?

Harry
amunptah777

Post by amunptah777 »

Harry,

Interesting concepts/questions.

I feel like those examples could all be true. I think the point is simply being conscious of one's experience. An "old soul" in this context would be the person who is intentionally engaging in whatever experience they're having.
If your proposed teenager chooses to stay home and work on a project or if they choose to go the club, but says to him/herself I am moving in this direction in order to fully experience this or that...it would be indicative of the contemplation of life...and therefore wisdom.

We could say, then, that even mall rats, street performers or the person who works at a local fast food establishment could be an "old soul" if they are doing so with the specific intent of observing life, observing others and the reactions they are having to those others, and using their energy in contemplation of those experiences.

:)

Thet
Eretik

Post by Eretik »

Yes I do,Harry.Spot on.We all affect each other.Those of us who dare,who dream, who create,who have the courage to be different.We change the world. I was once, I am now, I will yet be.A step at a time.Old souls, new souls, it comes together.
[Obsidian]

Post by [Obsidian] »

I'm so glad to have found a religion that actually contains what I independently had pulled together from god knows where :) It makes me happy :lol:

Harry
GenevieveDawn

Post by GenevieveDawn »

Well, to me an old soul is someone who has being reincarnated many times, and a newer soul is someone who's had say only a few. That has always been my feeling on it.
...magic consists of removing the limitations from what we think are the earthly and spiritual laws that bind or compel us. We can be anything because we are ALL. - Mary Greer
Sacred

Post by Sacred »

Old souls are souls that have been reincarnated many times, new souls are those who have not. Old souls "ancient souls" "wise souls" etc... just means that that person has had a lot of lives (thus gone through a bunch of different life experiences).... and who doesn't learn from life experiences in ONE life, let alone many lives? Thus.... "wise/old/ancient" or whatever word you want to use comes about.

Return to “Reincarnation & the Afterlife”