OCD??

General chit chat and discussions here.
All are welcome!
raven123789

OCD??

Post by raven123789 »

obsessive compulsive disorder

there are alot of things about ocd i don't understand?, alot of times i hear about it only affecting things you do in life[example] turning off a light ten times or washing clothes 4 times before you actually wear it ect..,i never had heard that it can affect somones mind or thoughts...

with OCD do you sometimes find yourself unable to control thoughts or certain unwanted images that bother you that play over and over in your head even though you try your hardest to get the image/thought out and most of the time the images or thoughts don't even make sense

does that sound like ocd or something else?

sorry i realize this probaly isn't the rite place to put this but i wasn't sure which thread this would fit in

any advice/answers are appreciated
ATraveller
Banned Member

Post by ATraveller »

From Wikipedia:
To be diagnosed with obsessive-compulsive disorder, one must have either obsessions or compulsions alone, or obsessions and compulsions, according to the DSM-IV-TR diagnostic criteria. The Quick Reference to the diagnostic criteria from DSM-IV-TR (2000) describes these obsessions and compulsions:[1]

Obsessions are defined by:

Recurrent and persistent thoughts, impulses, or images that are experienced at some time during the disturbance, as intrusive and inappropriate and that cause marked anxiety or distress.
The thoughts, impulses, or images are not simply excessive worries about real-life problems.
The person attempts to ignore or suppress such thoughts, impulses, or images, or to neutralize them with some other thought or action.
The person recognizes that the obsessional thoughts, impulses, or images are a product of his or her own mind, and are not based in reality.
Compulsions are defined by:

Repetitive behaviors or mental acts that the person feels driven to perform in response to an obsession, or according to rules that must be applied rigidly.
The behaviors or mental acts are aimed at preventing or reducing distress or preventing some dreaded event or situation; however, these behaviors or mental acts either are not connected in a realistic way with what they are designed to neutralize or prevent or are clearly excessive.
In addition to these criteria, at some point during the course of the disorder, the sufferer must realize that his/her obsessions or compulsions are unreasonable or excessive. Moreover, the obsessions or compulsions must be time-consuming (taking up more than one hour per day), cause distress, or cause impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning.[1] OCD often causes feelings similar to those of depression.
The Judge

Post by The Judge »

Yep, I've been diagnosed with minor OCD, but I can usually get over what's bugging me in an hour or two after the fact.:)
Spelling and grammar are somethings that really bug me but I try not to correct people. I know not everyone has a handle on the english language. There are others but this is the one that aplies here. I even correct people while speaking to them, my friend got used to it, but it still bugs him sometimes. It's just like the reports I've been reading. They keep spelling spelling within like this: with in. That is really annoying.:)

Anyway, I'm ranting so I'll talk more later. Blessed Be.:)
Do not attempt, Achieve
Do not hear, Listen
Do not go blindly forward, See
Do not judge, Understand
Do not forget, for in this you shall learn nothing
-The Judge
LUNAAMOR

Post by LUNAAMOR »

oh goody you are talking about my boyfriend.
i think he has that because we always (before we hang up the phone ) have to say like 20 time ok bye i love you .
it drives me crazy :D
but i still love him
"Light up the Darkness" Bob Marley
hedge*

Re: OCD??

Post by hedge* »

I have OCD, had it ever since I was a very young child.
raven123789 wrote: with OCD do you sometimes find yourself unable to control thoughts or certain unwanted images that bother you that play over and over in your head even though you try your hardest to get the image/thought out and most of the time the images or thoughts don't even make sense
Thoughts are a part of OCD though not as well documented as the actions seem to be. Traveller's link is a good one that you should take a look at.
The "mental" side of my OCD isn't as bad now as it used to be, I have grown out of certain things naturally.
Shaman of Bliss
Banned Member

Post by Shaman of Bliss »

I believe(never been told by a doctor) when I get stressed out in serious situations where I have to wait, I get a little OCD. Like there was this incident at my summer camp, blah blah blah, I hit him with a stick across the back he through a stone and hit my in the temple, whatever. When I was waiting for the leaders to get back with the big boss lady, I went stir crazy, i felt so bad for loosing my head. etc. I put every deck of card in a trailer in order, which was about 6 decks, It took me all of a minute and a half. I becan to caount the number of dots on the wall desgin and do math in my head to figure out how many covered the wall, a couple million.

I did similar things, sort the cultlary, etc. I went crazy, or when I'm bored ill count the holes in the ceiling tiles, yeah, I'm weird like that.
Kolohe
Banned Member

Post by Kolohe »

It can be sort of a coping technique when you also have ADD. Both undiagnosed for me. I have certain things that must be done at the right time and in the right way and those get done without much problem, otherwise if I see something shiny forget it.

Kolohe
I am not afraid of the dark...I am the Boogeyman.
Anive1

Post by Anive1 »

Would you think having to make certain the two locks on the door are both entirely locked every night before bed, even though I know I locked them, and having to make very certain that both switches in the bathroom are off without really looking at them or touching the hard floor in the bathroom, I have to touch the carpet, is OCD? I almost always have to hold my hand over the switches for a very long time to make sure they're both down, even though I know that I didn't even touch the second one. If I don't do the bathroom light switch thing I tend to get anxious and worried about the spinning heater-like thing coming on, I don't like that thing. Do you think I have slight OCD?

Sorry about rambling on, I'm just very uncertain. I'm not trying to make anything about me. Sorry.

I just noticed something, I apologize a lot, once a friend got angry about it.

Sorry.

Have fun!

Blessed Be.
Szette

Post by Szette »

My husband has OCD! It can be rather annoying to me at times, most of the time his compulsions are aimed toward me(piching my arms, playing with my hair, sometimes he even has to sleep with one of his legs over me so he knows if I get out of bed at night) With the meds its not so bad, but most of the time he won't take them. He also has the obsessive thought patterns, the same thought can plaque his mind for months at times. I love him, but sometimes I need a break from it! Pictures on our walls have to be level, if one is slightly crooked, he will get a level out and check every picture!
Blessed Be,
Szette

Return to “For Everyone”