What's your fav. Spell book?

Paganism, witchcraft, and Wicca as portrayed on TV, movies, and popular culture. Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, Practical Magic, etc. If you know of a good show or movie, you can recommend it here or discuss it with others.
[WitchMomma]

What's your fav. Spell book?

Post by [WitchMomma] »

I have quite a few, but am just not super impressed with any of them. I am looking for any of your favorites and suggestions on finding one.

Thanks.
juliaki

Post by juliaki »

My own one, written based on my own experiences and practices.
[WitchMomma]

Post by [WitchMomma] »

juliaki wrote:My own one, written based on my own experiences and practices.
That's great. May I ask how you come up with your spells. For example, do you research what herbs, candles, colours, flowers, scents etc. are best for whatever it is your planning on doing the spell for and then maybe write something as a chant that pertains to the situation? Do you use meditation as part of your spell?

Sorry for all the questions, I am just very interested in learning other peoples process'.

I have made my own healing spell, but not sure if i added all the elements that maybe I should have?? From what I understand there is no wrong way to do it, just learning what works for you. So I am in the trial and error phase of spell casting.
juliaki

Post by juliaki »

A lot of times what I'll do is think about exactly what goal I want, and then figure out what comes to my mind first. I have some "standard" spell techniques that I work with more often than others. Here's what I use most often.

1. Charging a candle (either white or, if I'm moved, some other "appropriate" color) and then letting it burn

2. Lighting candles on my ancestral shrine with a petition for whatever I need/want

3. Making/offering foods/drinks to the local spirits with a petition for whatever I need/want

4. Adding money to the house prosperity bowl when I need more money coming in (and then spending money on something trivial to ensure it works)

5. Various hoodoo/folk techniques I've swapped with folks over the years

6. Various anointing rituals I've developed over the years

7. Writing sigils

8. Using a couple other tradition-specific teachings

9. Knot work

10. Charging and carrying a stone or burning personal incense blends

Most of that I do by instinct... for instance, I'll feel whatever I'm using to see if it feels right in my hands or I'll smell herbs/oils (if they won't work energetically well for what I need, the smell will make me queasy). I might look up things in tables of correspondences after the fact, but rarely before.

Hope that helps!
[WitchMomma]

Post by [WitchMomma] »

Yes, thank you. I am finding I follow what I gravitate to, and I know my instincts are keen so I must use them.

Thanks. Again.

I am still interested if anyone has any books that you find quite useful, as I am not planning on writing all my own spells or rituals.
AkanaAnash

Post by AkanaAnash »

Hi Witch!

(It's Thet) :)

Well, not to sound all broken-recordy, but my favorite spell book is my own.

As the basis if my practice is divination, all my spells are taught to me
by the Spirits (Praise the Ancestors!) so to use a Wic phrase,
the best spell book is the so called "book of shadows" as it were.

How you doing anyway?

Thet
"The Prince Of Darkness is a gentleman"
W. Shakespeare
kuotetsu

Post by kuotetsu »

My very own book.. :) :D
[WitchMomma]

Post by [WitchMomma] »

AkanaAnash wrote:Hi Witch!

(It's Thet) :)

Well, not to sound all broken-recordy, but my favorite spell book is my own.

As the basis if my practice is divination, all my spells are taught to me
by the Spirits (Praise the Ancestors!) so to use a Wic phrase,
the best spell book is the so called "book of shadows" as it were.

How you doing anyway?

Thet
I am doing great thanks. And you?

Well i guess I better be making my own book. I found a wonderful book to use as my Book of Shadows. I have another one right now that I am just jotting, and writing a bit of everything in. I still will need some more reference books until I am more practiced and confident. All in time right?
AkanaAnash

Post by AkanaAnash »

Man...my books are so scattered around, like...I'll be doing practice, writing something I was taught by the Spirits and then remember that I have to go to grocery and jot down a list in my book before I forget...

It'll be hilarious to look back on it all when I'm 90 and go..."oh Yah...Praise Isis...I need detergent..." hahhahahahaha
"The Prince Of Darkness is a gentleman"
W. Shakespeare

Return to “Witchcraft and Wicca in the Media”