Three realms instead of Four elements?

Talk, spells, rituals, and questions about the four elements.
ennister

Three realms instead of Four elements?

Post by ennister »

Hi!

I recently read that in some celtic forms of wicca/paganism/witchcraft the three realms are used (sky, earth, sea) instead of the four elements.

Does anyone have any practical experience with this and could maybe share more about this concept?
[cherokeewind]

Post by [cherokeewind] »

The three realms are for the center. In Southeastern USA Cherokees use the center for three realms also "above, below, surface or ground." In ceremonies Father Sky is up, Mother Earth is down, and you have the person doing the ceremony standing on the ground.

The outer circle has 4 direction at the East, South, West, North. Indians call these the 4 winds.

Many of the older Wiccan traditions considered the center to be 1 direction called "spirit" which implies transcendence into the 3 realms. This was also called the 5th element and direction by some, it plus the 4 elements (outer circle) were said to represent the 5 points of the pentagram.

It is "three realms plus the four elements" rather than instead of...or the three realms can be thought of as one.
Cherokeewind
ennister

Post by ennister »

Hi Cherokeewind, thank you for that insight. I haven't really been exploring elements etc. in native american culture.

But what I was hoping for was specifically celtic, and the use of the three realms instead of the four elements in rituals etc. Or how these things work in celtic reconstruction traditions etc.
[cherokeewind]

Post by [cherokeewind] »

I had Celtic Wicca lessons from a Witchcraft school when I'd first started. I don't remember the tradition having 3 directions for the center, but covens would cast a triple ring outer circle.

It sounds a lot like a Native tribe, Ojibwe or Chippewa, the largest of the Michigan tribes. The 3 outer circle rings have a similar meaning. You see it on their flag...

1. The Inner Green.
The traditional color for THE EARTH MOTHER
2. The Middle Yellow
Representing the path of our Sun, passing through the day.
3. The Outer Red.
Is for of Earth and fire.
Blue (under the three outer rings) is to represent Sky and all the waters.

There you have Earth, Sky, and Water. Some of the Celtic covens used a ring of salt (dry pure) represents Earth, plus one in sulphur (yellow color), and one ring of copper sulphate which I believe is a blue color. Sometimes in an outdoor group ritual, they would set the sulpher on fire.
Cherokeewind

Return to “The Elements - Earth, Fire, Air, and Water”