How can someone be a Christian Witch?

Discussion for and about Christian witches and pagans. How do you merge your two belief systems? Please be kind to Christian witches. I have come to believe that it is a very valid belief system.
star3000

Post by star3000 »

"Thou shall not suffer a witch to live" etc was among a whole list of rules that was given to the people under Moses' leadership a long time ago.
As I am not Moses, I cannot say whether God did say this and what he meant by it.
In any case, I neither follow Mosaic Law nor believe that it has any relevance to my religion as I am not and have never been Hebrew/Jewish.

I believe Jesus is Christ. I believe that he calls us to love God and others. Going around hating people and saying they should die is against my religion.
Although I am a witch, I only pray to and worship one God. I don't see any conflict between being a christian and a witch.
willow_witch

Post by willow_witch »

i think the is a very interesting topic and i thank moonstone for starting it. It was very informative to read all the previous post. While i would say i have more or less given up my christian faith for my Wicca beliefs there are some aspect i cannot shake (though i would say they are more the dressings on the christian faith then the core beliefs and is probably that they are my inner child hold on to them) For one i still enjoy singing the many songs taught to me at my catholic school and will randomly burst into song, and when i do i still get the tingle that has always accompanied the songs AND I still get a strange feeling (i can really explain it) when i walk into a church.

I pretty much spent a large part of my high school years explaining that the line about killing witches was rewritten and not fully original and though i seems common knowledge here i wish it was the same for the many who condemn other. i look forward to reading more about this subject.
~willow~

*blessed be*
~Merry meet, Merry part, til we Merry meet again~
gwenblackbird

Post by gwenblackbird »

Some and maybe a lot would say that that feeling that you get when you walk in a church would probably be the Holy Spirit. It's a common thing.
Matticus

Post by Matticus »

"Thou shall not suffer a witch to live",

That was written by a man. Not 'God', Man has fears of what he does not understand and that is his nature. Give him the oppertunity to change history and his fear will be ever lasting within the hearts of his sons and daughters and so on.

All the bible is is a collection, a great massive collection of literature... just like this forum. Filled with each member who registered or had the power to, to write on the pages.
Moderators banned some views and cast verses out and stories. Some moderators changed the order of words and etc.
Some moderators changed the very stories themselves.

(sorry i used you moderators as a scapegoat :lol: it was just an example of how people changed the literature and stuff :lol: lol)
Am i making sense here?
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

I understand what you're saying, Matticus. Though the bible is revered differently by different faiths, I agree- it's a storytelling. (Not trying to be offensive with that remark, so please don't feel offended anyone).
Of course, the text had to be translated into whatever it is now, and that left a lot of room for interpretation to that of "Man."

Willow_Witch, I know exactly what you mean about the songs and walking into a church building, though I don't really agree with Gwen that it's the embodiment of a Holy Spirit that I'm feeling when I get that warm, weird rush over me as I enter the space. I believe that just as a stone or tree has a vibration and energy, so does a church building- and it is filled weekly or daily by people who believe so strongly in their God and the messages he conveys to them, that they leave that vibration of hope, dedication and intense reverence within the building itself for all of us to feel.

The songs, I think, are a comfort: I've never attended a church service (closest I've been was a Catholic wedding), but I did sing in my school choir for many years as a younger person, and through that, I have the same "tingly" feelings erupt when singing or hearing those familiar (and even the not-familiar) religious songs. There's a great collective-acceptance and energy that's produced when singing, whether it's Kumbaya at a campfire or Hallelujah in a choir/church setting. A great feeling of belonging and camaraderie exists in that way, and it's very comforting. Not to mention the notes and sounds in these songs are extremely beautiful and haunting. There's nothing quite like the harmony of a group singing a sustained-note melody to give anyone the chills. :28:

~BB~
willow_witch

Post by willow_witch »

very interesting moonstone... i think your right with the music... i guess the only time that i really sing (except to the radio) is in Church or at school (or was i should say...) and with the beautiful soft backing music it is the best tingling feeling... maybe i should sing in rituals... though i may offend the Goddess :P . I would also tend to agree with you no the feeling when you walk into a church... though it may be a mixture.
~willow~

*blessed be*
JackRabbitSlims

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

Just a bit confused on this whole subject. As being a former catholic, it seems close to impossible that someone could be a christian witch.

When practicing christianity, its claimed as the one true way, with GOD being the only god. There's so much in the bible that tells us how he is a jealous god, and doesn't want any one else to be worshiped but him. Like the whole golden calf story. Those people worshiped a statue and the deity which it represented, and god supposedly struck it down, saying that they were sinning for being idoliters and following a deity that wasn't him.

So by saying you believe in both the god and the goddess, totally defeats the purpose of god in the christan sense. It would be considered false and wrong because you are worshipping and giving praise to something other than the almighty himself.

Also, the fact that christianity claims it is the one true way, and only by following the rules and guidelines can you be placed in heaven, means that you can't choose another path. You have to embrace the christian faith completely and soley.

And finally, what's your stand one the ENTIRE belief system that christianity is based on? Heaven and hell. Pagans don't believe or acknowledge there is a christian devil. They believe you do well in life and you'll be reincarnated. Well either way we'll be reincarnated but being a good person definatly helps in the next life.

Christians believe you go to heaven and stay forever for eternity. The same thing goes for hell. So how on earth can you intermingle these 2 religions????

The bible also claims that "you cannot worship two masters".

I think those that claim to be christian witches should just be pagan. If you already acknowledge a goddess, you're definatly not following the christian faith.
willow_witch

Post by willow_witch »

GeminiGremlin - did you read this post before your posted?? because some of the post address some of your ..umm 'concerns'... :roll:

and im sorry to say but i found your post to be attacking those of this site that consider themselves Christian Witches, your shutting down their belief system just because you cannot understand it.

Just may interpretation of your words, you might have meant something completely different...
~willow~

*blessed be*
JackRabbitSlims

I did read through the topics. And I didn't find anything on how people really mix up the two religons.

I'm sorry if I come off offensive to people, or if it seems I'm putting someones belief system down. I'm really not trying to so I'm very sorry to those I offend on here.

After reading through all the posts, I didn't feel that they truely addressed my questions.

The reason for all of this being, my dad questioned my beliefs the other day. He asked if I believed in god, and I said yes of course, but I believe in something more, and him, being a strict christan these days, told me that its not possible to acknowledge the christian sense of god, while believing in other dieties. Its defeats the purpose of the whole christian religon, being that it IS a monotheistic religion.

The way I see it, is like someone trying to claim that their a capatalist communist. Their two opposites that when combined, seems as though they would cancel out each others beliefs.

I'm sorry if this post offends anyone, really I don't mean to.

I'm just posting my views on the whole thing. If you don't like them, please correct me on the issues you feel I'm incorrect about, because I'm not here to start fights or anything like that at all, and I'm always willing and ready to learn new things.

Blessed be to all :)
[SnowRaven]

Post by [SnowRaven] »

GG, I think I get your confusion.

It might be possible to be a Christian Witch, just not a Christian Wiccan.... as there are those who practice the craft not as a religion but as a means to raise power. Course there are people forging new Paths all the time, so the lines might be getting pretty blurry.

The closest I ever came to Christianity was the figure of Aslan when I was in 3rd grade. He seems to call to me, even as a fictional character dreamed up as an allegory by CS Lewis. I'm still very fond of that image but can't believe in the reality of Jesus Christ.

*might* there be some possibility that Christian Witches are simply those restoring the religion back to its Pagan roots??
JackRabbitSlims

Thank you snow raven, that actually does make a valid point, and open my mind a lot to the subject :) I forget just how many aspects there are to being a witch and forllowing the craft as a lifestyle, and not as a religion. :)

Thank you for being patient with my misunderstandings.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

I understand you as well, Gemini... and I don't think you were being rude, just specific. Your question was actually the question I had originally asked here in this post (not in so many words)... when the religion itself teaches that witchcraft is immediately and completely an evil act, and that witches should not be "suffered to live," how can one go to church on Sunday to hear that they are and their pagan actions are an abomination, then go home to call on the God and Goddess to work magic? I too didn't understand this at all- Snow Raven does address it well, it's generally not "magic" in a traditional sense, but rather exercises with energy. Though, I do think a lot of "Christian Witches" out there more or less change their personal feelings of what identifies them as a "Christian" and what identifies them as a "Witch", bearing in mind that a lot of the Christian faith's printed texts were translated/written at such a time and in such a way to shame all those who were still following "the old ways" and practicing witchcraft. I really don't think there'd be such a focus on the evils of witches had there not been that intention in mind when forging Christianity as the main-stream and "acceptable" faith.

~Bright Blessings~
purplesummer

Post by purplesummer »

GeminiGremlin wrote: The reason for all of this being, my dad questioned my beliefs the other day. He asked if I believed in god, and I said yes of course, but I believe in something more, and him, being a strict christan these days, told me that its not possible to acknowledge the christian sense of god, while believing in other dieties. Its defeats the purpose of the whole christian religon, being that it IS a monotheistic religion.
Have you ever studied Judaism? I know that seems like a crazy question because we are talking about Christianity. It will make sense soon.

There was originally a Goddess in Judaism. Christianity came from Judaism. She was named Asherah. Men took her out of the religion. She was replaced by Sophia, the Goddess of Wisdom. She is considered to be the Holy Spirit by Christians now. She is mentioned throughout Proverbs. I am pretty sure she is mentioned a lot in Proverbs 6 or 7 but I would have to double check.

I can not give you a lot of information on both of these Goddesses, I am still doing research on both of them. However, never take todays religion for face value. Things are not always what they seem to be. Also like a lot of people have said, the Bible has been translated hundreds of times. Not many people know what the original scripture says.

Paganism and Christianity can mix. Witchcraft can mix with Christianity. Find what the original words for witchcraft meant, you can pretty much practice any kind of witchcraft/magick and still be Christian. I know nothing about Wicca so I have no clue if they could go together.

I hope none of this came off as sounding mean. I never intended it to. Just wanting to remind people to think outside of the box. :lol:

Blessed Be.

~Lisa
kitchenwitch

Post by kitchenwitch »

Hi: I am a Christian studying to be a witch. For me, it works like this. I had the Christian upbringing which is where I get my spiritual base of morals, values, etc. I am still devoted to God and Jesus, and chose the virgin Mary as the Goddess. So that is how that all works out. I was always a little different than most people when it came to spirituality. For example, I was connecting into Yoga in my pre-teen years, and felt there was just something more that wasn't being told on Sunday in church. Sure, I was warned not to believe in magic or psychic abilities. However, it got kind of hard not to when I began to have dreams and visions that came true. The older I got, the more I began to question some of the rules. Anyway, I realized that man had his hand in writing the Bible. I guess that is why we have so many different versions of it, and different branches of churches. Therefore, I used my own judgment, and since I have not found anything wrong or immoral about witchcraft, I feel totally fine in practicing the "best" of both religions. Meaning, what I feel is right. I am having the time of my life! I love the people I have met, and understand now why I have always connected with the trees, and nature more than most people I know. There really was something more to spirituality after all. It was just naturally born in me to do this. Feel free to e-mail me or leave a message. I would love to hear from and talk to you.

Blessed Be,
Kitchenwitch
kitchenwitch

Post by kitchenwitch »

parrothead wrote:Hello

New here. I consider myself a Christian pagan. Actually I was looking around message boards trying to find some other Christian pagans and joined when I saw this board for us.

For me it is about balance. I'll go into this more later as I get to know everyone.

So thanks for being here, and letting me join.
Parrothead:

Balance. That really tells it like it is! I am so glad you said that. Yes Combining both religions fills in the gaps and gives one a feeling of balance. It just feels right. Male/Female, the elements, etc. And about that feeling everyone is talking about that we get in a church. I also feel it at home when reading spiritual books or listening to spiritual programs. I felt it the day President Obama took office. It is a pleasant cold chill that fills my body, and to me it always ment things are right with God, or being touched by the Holy Spirit.

Return to “Christian Witchcraft”