Practical Altar Question

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
frisbee

Practical Altar Question

Post by frisbee »

I am hoping in the near future to put my altar together, and after a bit more reading, begin rituals and some simple spells. I have looked at online Pagan supply stores as well as ebay. I'm wondering about how much one can expect to spend for altar supplies. I'll probably get candles from the Dollar General or somewhere cheap, I want to cut all the corners I can. Was also wondering if second-hand items are okay (I saw a number of wine glasses and goblets in Goodwill). Will probably use a table I already have or buy a used piece of furniture for the altar itself. As far as god/goddess statues, I see they're pricey and I may do without for now.

And last of all, the supplies needed for the rituals themselves, such as herbs and I believe in some cases essential oils are called for. How much can one expect to spend on these things, and do the supplies run out quickly or do they tend to last for a good while (suppose that depends on the frequency of spell work one does, too).

I imagine many Pagans like other folks are on budgets, so am curious about this. I do want my altar to be pretty, but I don't need or want a fifty-dollar athame at this point. And I imagine I can save up and add more statues and items whenever. In short, how much does it "cost" to be Pagan??
Last edited by SpiritTalker on Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarify title
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

LOL: "how much does it cost to be a pagan" :28:

-Well first of all, do know that the intention behind any magical working is what's most important... the harnessing and working with magical energy comes from you, not the tools you use.

There's nothing wrong with 2nd hand items, especially if you feel a connection to them... that can make them even more valuable when working magic with them, actually. Though with any item, new or old, you'll want to cleanse and consecrate them before integrating them in your magic and making them a part of your alter.

In all honesty, I'm a budget-Wiccan too. :grin: Here's what I've found so far:
Dollar stores are great places to get candles, and some herbs. Another great place to find some herbs is at the grocery store in the 'baking stuff' aisles... a lot of stores have little plastic baggies of herbs there for 99 cents or so... and you can often find a lot of good ones. Dollar stores also have things like vinegar, cheese cloth, salt, lemons and other light grocery-items for a lot less than the bigger grocery stores do.

Here are some other suggestions:
Altar cloth: dye some handkerchiefs for each purpose (or tye-dye if you're good at that). They're small, but they work.

Altar pentacle: Using a burning (long "taper") candle and wax paper, make one. Draw yourself a template to follow when dripping the wax, place the template under the wax paper and help the wax drip along the lines shown on the template (approximately, the thing doesn't have to be perfect). Do make sure it's thick though, or it's easily broken.
Suggestion 2 for altar pentacle: Pick some vines or stems from a plant after they die but before they become crunchy (I use my aloe plant's flower stems for this)- as soon as you pull them, shape & secure one into a circle shape and let the others dry straight. Once they're all dried up, take some twist-ties *(they always come with trashbags, I'm sure you'll have some laying around), peel the white/brown paper stuff off the twisties and use the tiny bendy metal you now have to tie the ends of the straight pieces together and onto the circle shape to make a pentacle shape. Voila! :28: (I've done both of these, actually made the 2nd one into a wall decoration when I was done.)

Natural bowl: any old glass bowl or cup from the cupboard.

Temporary cauldron: an ashtray, or if you're lucky enough to have a cast iron pan laying around, use that. (The cast iron can function as a permanent cauldron, but the pans are very open and semi-shallow so do be careful, it's easy to cause a fire at times, especially if you work your magic outside). Also, put a microwave-safe glass plate under the ashtray when burning things in it, just to be on the safe side.

God & Goddess statues: get some of those fat, little pillar candles- one in gold, one in silver. (Most dollar stores have a bunch of these this time of year- right after Christmas time).

Athame: If you're creative, go find some wood, whiddle it to the shape you want and smooth out with sandpaper (also available at the dollar store). Then place an old blade from another knife you don't use at home, inside. (Get some wood glue though & Google the best way to put a knife together with its handle). I painted my athame's handle and added a crystal in a dent I left at the base of the handle also, so you can really fashion it any way you like. And worst case scenario, you can always just re-purpose a butter knife. :28:

Incense and incense burners are also at dollar stores- look around. If not at Dollar General, try 99 Cents Only stores or Dollar Tree if you have those. Sandalwood is one of the most common scents you'll find and that's a great all-purpose incense to start with.

Lastly, the alter itself: I use an ugly platter I never used for anything else and set it on my book shelf in the closet when not in use (yes, I'm "in the broom closet" in that way :wink:)... it doesn't really matter what you're using, where it came from or who may have previously owned it. As long as you remember to cleanse and consecrate whatever you decide to use and then don't mix it's purpose and use with any other purpose, (like don't slice your sandwich with your athame, have some soda in your chalice and then go do some magic...LOL) ...you're more than fine. The magic is in you, not your implements. :wink:

Bright Blessings & happy alter building! :28:

~MoonStone
frisbee

Post by frisbee »

Thanks much! :D
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Re: Practical Question

Post by SpiritTalker »

How much you spend on tools and supplies depends on where you shop - high end or dollar-store and whether or not you have any cookery, artsy & hardware DIY supplies on hand.

2020 Prices in US mid-west
. Blank journals or notebooks $3-$15
. Candles from $1-stores under $5 vs online scented tea lites $15/12 or votives $20/6
. Cauldrons - camping goods, straight-sides 1-quart $25; on-line potbellied 1-quart $55
. Essential oils @$10/dram or lite olive oil @$8/12-oz bottle, or $3/1 oz sweet oil
. kitchen herbs $1-store brands or nature’s free specimens 🍃🪴🌹
. Jars - recycled free, $1-$10-ea new; or zippy-lock baggies $3-$9/100; paper envelopes $3-$10
. Ritual tools - free - reserve 🍹🍴🥣 from the kitchen, letter opener or sports-blade $5-$20 or dual-edged Athame $15-$90; glass Chalice $2-$10, silver plated $15 & 🆙; Pentacle - free printed or painted rock; wood $6, brass $15 & 🆙
. Statue-figurines under $2 @ thrift stores or artisan-made @ $30-$150; free - print pics & frame
. Wand - DIY free branch trimmed with a pocket knife, sandpaper $3 & furniture polish $4; online $30 🆙

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”