help identifying 10 mystery stones

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
lliae

Post by lliae »

I've been collecting polished stone ever since I was a kid, but because of that I have a lot that I don't know what they are.

1.Image
my dad brought this back from Afghanistan with him. He calls it a rose stone but actual rose stones don't look at all like this.

2.Image
I know this one looks blue but it's actually a very deep purple. I'd call it an amethyst but I've never seen one so solid.

3.Image
maybe ocean jasper but also maybe eye agate?

4.Image
this one is a chalky white but it you hold it to a light it has a pink tint to it.

5.Image
the colour reminds me of apache tear but the marks remind me of eye agate

6.Image
this one reminds me of adventurine but it doesn't have any sparkle, which I've read is what defines it

7.Image

8.Image
this one is a very solid deep green, but has tiny flecks of a copper colour in it

9.Image

10.Image
this one is solid with small translucent squares

Sorry I know it's a lot but if anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it!
MistressOfTheMoon

Post by MistressOfTheMoon »

#2 it doesn't look like amethyst to me. The color seems too evenly distributed. Hard to tell what it is from the photo though. My guess is it could be purple fluorite.

#3 and 5 don't look like Eye Agate to me. From what I know with Eye Agate, the pattern should be concentric with a prominent circle at the center.

#3 seems translucent (light can pass through but not images) so I'd say it's an agate.

#4 I have similar pieces that glow yellow or just white when light passes through them :-D I was told it was moonstone but I'm clueless when it comes to polished crystals. They're a lot easier to identify when tumbled :-D

#5 you can call it apache tear if if's translucent. If it's opaque and on the heavy side, it could be black agate, onyx, or obsidian. If it's light-weight, could be jet. Hard to tell from the picture :)

#6 might be green quartz. Can light pass through it? Green quartz and aventurine are pretty much the same thing, except green quartz doesn't have glittering.

#8 The dark green hue reminds me of Bloodstone! This piece could be a low-grade variety that doesn't have the red marks. It's opaque right?

#10 I think it might be a serpentine. I have something similar.

P.S. Got a few unnamed crystals myself and others I'm unsure of lol.
"For the Spirit lies within."
~ Ada S.
lliae

Re: help identifying 10 mystery stones

Post by lliae »

MistressOfTheMoon wrote:#6 might be green quartz. Can light pass through it? Green quartz and aventurine are pretty much the same thing, except green quartz doesn't have glittering.
no it's opaque, no light gets through.
MistressOfTheMoon wrote:#8 The dark green hue reminds me of Bloodstone! This piece could be a low-grade variety that doesn't have the red marks. It's opaque right?
yea, it would be nice if it was bloodstone! I've always wanted some.

thanks for your help :D
MistressOfTheMoon

Post by MistressOfTheMoon »

If #6 is opaque then I have no idea what it is lol.

#8 yeah would be cool if that were bloodstone! Maybe it has some reds hidden inside it :3

You're welcome! I tried my best :)
"For the Spirit lies within."
~ Ada S.
BabyBear

Post by BabyBear »

Number 5 is snowflake obsidian
the white dot is what makes it a snowflake obsidian

Number 6 might be Amazonite

Number 7 mignt be Carnelian
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/157555686937466472/
or Apricot Agate

I think Number 8 is Aventurine

Number 9 might be Botswana
Agate but i cant really see to tell

Number 10 might be yellow jasper

i have no ideal with the others but if i do think or fine something ill be sure to post what i found
lliae

Post by lliae »

thanks babybear!

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”