Solitaries: why do you practice on your own?

Have a question about a spell or witchcraft/Wicca? Ask it here. Those of you who like to help others can help answer questions.
Bychan Wulf

Re: Solitaries: why do you practice on your own?

Post by Bychan Wulf »

Where I come from, if you say you're a witch, people think you're insane or gypsy (which they automatically fear)
Saying you're a wiccan, is better as less than 15% of the people know what it means, but once they learn that wicca means being pagan, they see you as a Satan worshiper. Fighting for my beliefs is the right thing to do,but I decided to give up on explaining everyone what wicca and witchcraft actually means. I'd love to join a coven but I haven't met any practitioners nearby yet.
:-)
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
Rowan.Airmid

Post by Rowan.Airmid »

I am quite open about my spirituality and besides those who do not take it seriously or think it is non-sense, I do not feel I need to be in the broom closet here. It saddens me when I hear of so many of you who cannot be yourselves no matter where you are!

I think being solitary has been easier for me because I can use my own instincts. I have had times where I longed for more contact with those who have similar ideas and interests though and I think it is great to be able to learn from one another This is of course also what brought me here - haha - I love hearing/reading about everyone's experiences and learning process. So solitary is great for certain parts of the craft for me but being able to connect with others also has wonderful benefits!! :) I also tend to be more introverted and I am really bad at small talk so it is/was hard to take the step to actually post things - :oops:
RosieMoonflower
EUTM Support
EUTM Support

Post by RosieMoonflower »

smogie_michele wrote:I'm in the bible belt... Solitary is just easier.
Same here. Also, my in laws, and even some of my family, wouldn't be tolerate. So I stay in the closet.
cataluna49

Post by cataluna49 »

Solitary is easier for me. I do look around my area for covens but I haven't found one that really resonates with me
greyviolet

Post by greyviolet »

I'm solitary primarily because I'm not Wiccan or pagan so there really didn't seem to be a place for me in covens or other groups. It works fine for me this way because I prefer to work on my own rather than with others. For me it's about helping others (and myself) via witchcraft. I've just never felt a need to align myself with an existing group.
valerian moon

Post by valerian moon »

firebirdflys wrote:You're very fortunate to have an understanding family especially Christian ones. That must be nice.
I know when I was practicing alone it was because I didn't know any other pagans. Then I started hanging out at a metaphysical book store, where I evenually meet the woman who ran the group I am now running. She had passed 2001. Solitary is still great for personal worship or working spells, but to be able to raise energy with other like minded folks is a different experience altogether.
I couldn't imagine what it must be like for folks in the bible belt or who are so far removed distance wise from other people it makes it hard to find like mindeds.
Are you very remote where you live moonraver?

Bb, Firebird
Not really. I live in Florida, in a smaller town than Bradenton where I used to live. B-town is a small city but palmetto is a small town!
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

I'm solitary because the only wiccans I know are on the internet, or are teenaged girls I worked with in Catering.

There is nothing creepier than an old man saying "Hey, you like witchcraft, we should hang out in the woods some time, it'll be cool and religiony".

So....my wife is wiccan but even then we don't do the same practice and even though I made us a shared sacred space, she never uses it. It's pretty much just me.
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

I know I answered this before, but honestly, I just don't play well with others.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

I tried to explain to one of my friends why I have a pentacle charm on my bracelet,and the difference between pentagram and pentacle.
She said she never thought I could ever turn to such things and that I should know it is absolutely evil.
She is a Christian just with the name,no daily practice or something.
Anyway,this just proved me again that staying in the broom closet is the only option for now.
"The strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack" - Rudyard Kippling ⛤
HazelQ.boggslyon

Post by HazelQ.boggslyon »

I work alone, but opened up to close friends and my mom who really understand me. I also have a store I go to and get advice when needed, I like people, but love my alone time. My life is chaos so my time with spells and meditation is the best time for me.
HazelQ.boggslyon

Post by HazelQ.boggslyon »

Bychan Wulf wrote:I tried to explain to one of my friends why I have a pentacle charm on my bracelet,and the difference between pentagram and pentacle.
She said she never thought I could ever turn to such things and that I should know it is absolutely evil.
She is a Christian just with the name,no daily practice or something.
Anyway,this just proved me again that staying in the broom closet is the only option for now.
It is hard to explain. I work in the public eye and I wear them, but have to be careful around some people. Closed minded people of course I live in the bible belt and you can not be different.
MandzyQ

Post by MandzyQ »

I'm solitary because I don't know anyone who practices Wicca and even though witchcraft runs in my family, my parents don't accept it. Funny thing is my mom was the one who introduced me to Wicca in the first place but once she understood what it was all about, she decided that it was bad and evil. I came out to my mom and ever since she shuns me greatly for having anything to do with Wicca and witchcraft. So I decided it's better to just keep to myself and be solitary.
BlessedbyHecate

Post by BlessedbyHecate »

Personally i have worked with others before and i find it very pleasant, helpful and bonding. On the other hand working with others can be difficult since witchcraft is so complex and each person so different in the their practise. Either way you learn a lot and you expand your horizons. When I do spells for myself i work completely alone.
Blessed be by Hecate!
CleverlyDisguised

Post by CleverlyDisguised »

I practice alone because most of the pagans I have had the misfortune of meeting were either a) malicious in their nature or b) idiots who think they can get something for nothing and instantly at that. Nothing is free except a smile and a hug
Bychan Wulf

Post by Bychan Wulf »

Depends on who you are asking for a hug. If it's an empath,he will pay for your hug,trust me. ;-)

Return to “General Questions about Wicca & Magick”