Mint

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
Nature Dude

Post by Nature Dude »

Hey Fauna9!

Well, right now I am using a double boiler covered with tin foil to concentrate the plant extract some. I will be moving to an extraction system, I am just starting to get geared up for that. If you've had a chem lab in school yet, you probably know how expensive glassware is. :shock: But, with all the essential oils I'd LIKE to have on hand, it will be worth it! PM me if you would like to see the specifics of what I'm looking at to put together. Thanks!

Blessed Be!

Rick
Nature Dude

Post by Nature Dude »

Heh heh heh... I see I once again deftly avoided the real question, where I actually will be doing the extraction... Well, I'd be doing it at home, somewhere I guess. And for those of you questioning this, I am interested only in normal herbs and plants, like basil, lavender, the catnip, maybe some pine and wintergreen, aloe, and habaneros, if they'll be cooperative... So, just an fyi, if anyone thinks this might mean a source of controlled substances, don't even bother to pm me because you will be ignored. Maybe that's a bit harsh since I haven't been asked, but I just want to get that out there before I have any PMs on it.

Blessed Be!

Rick
moonlit

Post by moonlit »

Man... now I want some mint... is it easy to grow?? cuz I dont really have a green thumb.
**Nothing is set in stone**
Dancing_Moon_Child

Post by Dancing_Moon_Child »

LOL.......mint is one of the easiest herbs to grow. You can usually buy it already started...it's easier than from seed. But be careful...you should keep it in a pot. It's very invasive and when you give it room to move around in it grows...well...like a weed. I planted some in a bed last spring and the bed is almost all mint and Lemon Balm now. We were outside working the other day and hubby was mowing the lawn. All of a sudden it smelled like Lemon Pledge and Peppermint Stars had been sprayed all over my yard. It seems the mint and lemon balm had escaped the barriers of the herb bed and come up over 7 feet away, and hubby mowed it down. I would highly recommend keeping your herbs in containers (unless you have a few acres your willing to commit to herb gardening).
As far as uses for peppermint....if you have a headache you can put a few drops of peppermint oil on your temples. Helps the headache go away. I also keep some dried peppermint near my desk. When I need a little pick-me-up I grab the bag and take a couple whiffs. Wakes me right up.
Peace and Love,
Dancing Moon Child
If you want to feel rich, just count all the things you have that money can't buy.
Anon

"A wee child toddling in a wonder world, I prefer to their dogma my excursions into
the natural gardens where the voice of the Great Spirit is heard in the twittering of
birds, the rippling of mighty waters, and the sweet breathing of flowers. If this is
Paganism, then at present, at least, I am a Pagan."
Zitkala-Sa (Sioux)
hedge*

Post by hedge* »

Hi there
There are an awful lot of different types of Mint that all belong to the Lamiaceae family, for example: Peppermint, Spearmint, Penny royal, Pineapple mint, Horse mint, Japanese mint etc etc.
They all tend to have similar healing and magical properties but I have found that the one I prefer to work with is Peppermint ( Mentha piperita ).Though I do grow 4 of the species and I use them as and when I feel a need to. I will list the properties of Peppermint.
Medicinally it is used for digestive problems as it increases the flow of digestive juices and bile and relaxes the gut muscles. It reduces nausea,colic, griping and wind and can soothe an irritated bowel. It can help with treating diarrhoea and on the other side it can help constipation.
It also relieves headaches associated with digestive problems. The diluted oil is used as an inhalant and chest rub for respiratory infections.
An infusion of the leaves taken after a meal will improve digestion. It is not advised to give the essential oil to children under 12 and the Herb in any form to children under 5.
If wanting to know about another type of Mint I reccomend researching that particular type before using.
Mint can be used for attracting money, increasing sexual desires, protection whilst traveling and cleansing negative energies. It can aid in all forms of spell casting and is often used in anointing candles and ritual tools.
I have found it is one of the easiest Plants to grow and, as someone allready mentioned, it does have a tendancy to grow rampantly, if you don't want it taking over your garden I suggest keeping it in a pot.

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”