Do Cats Have Allergies?

Discussion about pets, familiars, animal totems, animal spirits, pet ghosts, and more. All animal talk, crazy and normal, is welcome here.
Moon_Goddess

Do Cats Have Allergies?

Post by Moon_Goddess »

Is it possbile for cats to be allergic to poultry? I have a 2 year old cat, named Tweek, who has never been able to hold down real poultry. So, I stopped giving it to him...however, is it possible that flavoring might have the same effect? Normally he eats Meow Mix Ocean Explosion, but recently I bought the big bag of food in Original flavor, which has "turkey" and "chicken"...the longer he eats it, the more he throws up. Could it be because of the poultry? He was just at the vet's a month ago and was checked for everything, Vet said he's fine and healthy...I can't think of any other reason he would be throwing up, it's becoming almost everyday!! It's got to be his food right? What do you guys think? :(
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

Certainly change his food. Perhaps look at a mix of dry biscuits and wet tinned food without any poultry at all.

Theres no point giving it to him if hes going to be sick! I would go out to the shops ASAP and get something meaty, otherwise he wont have any nutrition at all in him which will lead to bad things.
WitchyLady506

Post by WitchyLady506 »

Animals can have allergies just like people. I would stop giving your cat anything to do with poultry. Also, make sure to give him wet food. Also, just to be on the safe side, get him something for hairballs, as it's getting warm and he should be shedding(I know my boys are)and therefore retaining more hair when he cleans himself. They make cat treats that have hairball medicine in them, so it's easy to give them.
shadowx
Banned Member

Post by shadowx »

Out of curiosity, what is hairball medicine? does it make them bring the hairballs up easier or something?

Im intrigued!
Moon_Goddess

Post by Moon_Goddess »

Ok, I went to the store and got him some new food, Ocean Explosion, just like he's always eaten...mmmmm!! He devoured it! I'm going to watch him until Saturday and see how he does. Cross your fingers!
WitchyLady506

Post by WitchyLady506 »

shadowx wrote:Out of curiosity, what is hairball medicine? does it make them bring the hairballs up easier or something?

Im intrigued!
Hairball medicine actually keeps them from coughing up hairballs. Hairballs are exactly that, balls of hair the clump together in the stomach and can't be passed so they get hacked up. Hairball medicine keeps the hair from clumping together allowing them to pass through their system. And it's also a life saver for my carpet.
Moon_Stone

Post by Moon_Stone »

Hi Moon_Goddess, I'm sorry to hear that your friend is having digestion issues- I can only imagine how hard that is for both of you!

First question- do you trust your vet? I don't mean to frighten you, but the FDA is constantly issuing new recalls on pet foods/treats, and one of the signs that there is a problem is vomiting in pets. Here's a link to the FDA's search page- in the "Search firm recalls" box, either enter the specific pet food you have been feeding Tweek, or just type in "pet food" (-the latter option may be better, just in case the recall is listed under a manufacturer name you weren't familiar with.)

...*in fact, I urge everyone to check the FDA's site to make sure their pet's food is safe...

...Also, I am not an expert on cats, but I do know that my dog has food allergies (and environmental allergies, and surface allergies... lots of allergies, in fact)- so I assume cats can as well. There are specific foods designed for allergy-prone animals, and there are also some fresh-made diets available too, if that's something you are willing to try. If so, I recommend getting a copy of Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats -I have a much older copy of his book, but with my allergic Maggie, I certainly appreciate having diet options that help her.

Trust your gut, though. If you think something is wrong with your friend, despite what the vet is saying-- go try another vet.

Sending bright, healing blessings your way (for Tweek)~
~M

Return to “Animals and Pets”