Runes:

Discussion of runes.
Ginger Faith!
Banned Member

Runes:

Post by Ginger Faith! »

Now I know that there is already a post for making your own runes, but i am nowhere near a beach to where i can find stones and such.
I have seen, somewhere along the lines, that there is a simple way to create runes from home (and you won't even have to use anything that is hard to get!)
I was hoping to find a recipe on making clay.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks,

-Ginger
witchmoon21

Re: Runes:

Post by witchmoon21 »

fimo clay is good and easy to work with, and comes in many colors.
Ginger Faith!
Banned Member

Post by Ginger Faith! »

Fimo Clay? Never heard of it...
But, thanks, Witchy.
SecretSilence

Post by SecretSilence »

Here's a a basic recipe for homemade clay that is easily customizable. You might want to experiment a little to find what works best; I've been doing that recently. All you really need for this clay is flour and salt. I generally use about two to three times as much flour as salt; it doesn't have to be exact. You can try changing this ratio if you want, I've seen many different versions on the internet. The more salt you use, the more grainy the texture will be. Once you have mixed your flour and salt, add water a little bit at a time, kneading the ingredients together until they develop a clay like texture; it should be moist, but not sticky. Add more water or flour as needed to reach the desired texture. And now you have the basic clay!

You can stick to the basic ingredients, or add others to customize it if you wish! A few drops of essential oil can give your clay creations a pleasant scent and associate them with the properties of your chosen oil. Spices, like cinnamon, can also be used in this way. If you want colored clay, a drop or two of food coloring will do the trick, remembering that the color of the dried clay will be paler than that of the dough. You can add whatever you want, really, though I suggest testing it with a small amount of the clay first to see if it works well or not.

Once you have the clay, shape it into your object(s) of choice, and put them on wax paper. No baking is required for this clay. Just place the objects in a safe place to dry for a few days, depending on the size of the objects. I try to flip the clay every 12-24 hours to make sure it's drying on both sides. When in doubt, give it a little extra drying time to make sure it's dry on the inside, too. Finally, you can draw on the dried clay with marker or paint, and voila! Your finished clay will be hard, but it can still crack or break if mistreated, so be careful. There might be a way to make it more durable... maybe adding glue or something. I'm still trying to find the best method myself. Hope this is helpful for anyone who's looking for an easy project they can make at home!
Ginger Faith!
Banned Member

Post by Ginger Faith! »

Thank you for your reply--I will be trying this tomorrow.

-Ginger.

Return to “Runes”