How do you extract oils?

Discussion of nature and nature spirits and dragons.
RainingMoon

How do you extract oils?

Post by RainingMoon »

Hi I was just wondering how to extract oils. Simple as possible please, as I am 12 and incapable of getting fancy tools to help me :)
midnyt fantasy

Re: How do you extract oils?

Post by midnyt fantasy »

hey,
well.. it depends on what you need to extract....

1. extracting oil from plants. Soak the plant matter in vegetable oil, heat up the oil for a few minutes (not boiling, just heated on medium high).Let the oil cool for a bit (don't let it get cold) and strain the mixture to separate the plant material from the oil. You have now created a plant infused oil.

2.Other methods such as cold pressing. This is a great process for things like citrus oils.
Remove the rind from the citrus fruit you'd like to press--such as orange, lemon or grapefruit.
Chop or grind the rind of the citrus fruit.
Press the rind mixture through a strainer or cheesecloth and catch the juice in a bowl. The product you get will be a watery blend of liquid and essential oil, which tends to separate over time. This product has a short shelf life (six months), so make only what you will use in that time frame.

These would be the easiest methods you could use, but if your capable in getting a still for distillation it would give you a pure oil extract if u cant stick to the 1st and 2nd methods which is much easier :)

enjoy getting bizarre with oils :)
Embracing_Insomnia

Post by Embracing_Insomnia »

I read somewhere that with some plants you can just boil them in water and skim the oil off the top. doesn't sound like it would work though xD
raynelae

Post by raynelae »

I simply soak herbs in cooking oil and strain the herbs after a few days :) it's fun and simple. It may get messy though lol ;)
Peace cannot be kept by force but can only be achieved through understanding (Albert Einstein) ~coexist~

Return to “Nature - Plants, Animals, Faeries, Dragons”