Info about Chaos Magick wanted

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
slithering_dragonfly

Info about Chaos Magick wanted

Post by slithering_dragonfly »

This is my first post so hopefully it's in the right place.

So I've been pagan for 4-5 years, but I've only been active sporadically. I started off as Wiccan, and while I do resonate with a lot of the imagery, I did find it a little too rigid. So I really want to explore a variety of paths.

I've read descriptions of chaos magick, and I found it really interesting. But I'm having trouble finding actual books or anything really to read by people who practice it. Any suggestions? Anyone hear practice it and want to explain your take on it?
Kassandra

Re: Info about Chaos Magick wanted

Post by Kassandra »

Hi slithering_dragonfly. I've been a member here since '09 and I have found that the active membership (i.e., people who post regularly) changes A LOT..."changed is the constant," right? lol Anyway, I remember there was this guy who wrote a lot of postings about chaos magick. That was his path. I can't remember his member name, but I remember I learned a lot about chaos magick from his writings, and from my subsequent research on the subject. I do remember two things he touched on: technology, and sigil usage.

I remember he was very interested in combining/incorporating technology with magick...technomancy. For instance, he created sigils digitally (with Photoshop, I guess). They could stand alone as works of art, but at the same time they were actually visual spells, and were charged to accomplish some specific task, energetically-speaking. And I think his group (coven?) did energy work (workings?) via Skype, or something. He was the only one on the board, at the time, exploring these avenues in this manner, that I remember.

Well, I don't know what happened to his postings. I figured using "chaos magick" (or "--magic") as a search term would do it, but none of the posts that came up seemed to me to be his. The ones that did come up don't really talk about chaos magick, per se, but only mention it in the course of talking about something else.

At the top right of this website, you'll see "Search for a Spell." If you click on that it will take you to the internal Google search engine for this site (for everything, not just for spells). Maybe you'll be able to find some info that's helpful to you in the older posts. I can't right now, but later on, in a separate thread, I will post generic info about chaos magick, just so we'll have something on it here. It has a lot of links to related books, practitioners, etc.

Please don't hesitate to ask further questions here, however. There may be a member who knows specific information about a specific aspect of the topic, though not the entire topic as a whole. Also, another thing that often happens is that new members join in the future who are on the same or a similar path, and know a lot of stuff.

The best to you in your journey! :)

slithering_dragonfly

Thank you very much for your reply! Yes I was also very surprised to have nothing come up when I searched the forum. I'll try the google search like you suggest. I did find a book online yesterday that I bought as an ebook; I'm not sure why I initially had issues finding books when I was googling. But it would be great to see resources when you make the post! Thank you for all the info!
-Dark-Moon-

Re: Info about Chaos magick wanted

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"

Chaos magick is not a spiritual path. It's about alternative states of consciousness. It's about finding insight through rejecting generally accepted beliefs.

"If it works, use it"

It's basically experiential, practical, and eclectic.

The chaosphere incorporates 8 types of magick
- octarine - pure or raw
- black magic - death magic
- blue magic - control, wealth creation
- red - war
- yellow - ego or self image
- green - love
- orange - thought
- purple/silver - sex magic

After transitioning through fear and the edge of madness the Chaos Magician reaches altered states of consciousness.

I'd recommend 'Condensed chaos' by Phil Hine

Blessings
I am that which is attained at the end of desire
slithering_dragonfly

Re: Info about Chaos magick wanted

Thanks! That's actually the book I found yesterday, so sounds like I'm on the right track. It does seem very interesting so far, although very different from typical belief systems, being that it uses them but has none. So have you practiced chaos magick?
Kassandra

Post by Kassandra »

Nice summation, Dark Moon.

slithering_dragonfly wrote:Thank you very much for your reply! Yes I was also very surprised to have nothing come up when I searched the forum. I'll try the google search like you suggest. I did find a book online yesterday that I bought as an ebook; I'm not sure why I initially had issues finding books when I was googling. But it would be great to see resources when you make the post! Thank you for all the info!
OK, I posted the article, "Chaos Magick - general info." Like I said, it's just a generic Wiki, but it's enough to point one in the direction to do further research on the topic. And here's a good link mentioned on that page: http://www.dmoz.org/Society/Religion_an ... ick/Chaos/.

Best to you.

MOTHERofDRAGONS

Post by MOTHERofDRAGONS »

I have a quick question.. When I read that list, I see a very close relation to Anton Levay's Satanic path. (no this isn't Devil worship) .. Is there any relation?

Blessings.
MOTHERofDRAGONS

Post by MOTHERofDRAGONS »

Got the link.. Saw 1 reference, but see the huge difference.
Thank you!

Blessings
-Dark-Moon-

Post by -Dark-Moon- »

I definitely incorporate aspects of Chaos magick into my practice but do not practice a pure form of Chaos magick.

It seems to be more common among LHP practitioners and I think it is certainly a concept to get your head around in preparation or whilst working with High magick

Blessings
Dark Moon
I am that which is attained at the end of desire

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”