Book review, WiccaCraft for Families, by Margie McArthur

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Book review, WiccaCraft for Families, by Margie McArthur

Post by Firebird »

WiccaCraft for Families by Margie McArthur, published 1994 by Phoenix Publishing Inc.

This book is a great resource for families as well as groups, solitaries would have to modify the rituals a bit, but it could work.
She starts the book with some Wicca basics, then she focuses on each of the 8 holidays, starting with a bit of history of the time of year, and how to incorporate seasonal observances into family life. She moves on to activities that are in tune with or traditional for that time of year, some really great arts and crafts to do with kids or your coven. She includes recipes for the Holiday feast or foods that are typically consumed at that time of year. Each of the Holidays has a ritual designed to include the children (in that I would say they are relatively brief and to the point, making it very understandable for children of all ages) She rounds off each chapter with music that is seasonal, many of the songs are very old and some are contemporary.
The thing I really like about this book is the last chapter about other rituals;
*Women's mysteries, has a pre-birth blessing-way ritual, and a menarche or "first moon" ritual (which I personally feel is very important for our young girls)
*Men's mysteries talks about a coming of age ritual for young men, and a fatherhood initiation ritual
*Youth Passages discusses birth and has a ritual of saining (which is baby blessing ceremony in which the child receives its name) there is a young child dedication ceremony, which is really very beautiful. She also touches on birthdays and talks about the vision quest.
*Handfasting, some of the history and a couple of "wedding" rituals
*Age...unfortunatly I feel she got tired of writing her book at this point because while she does talk briefly about women reaching the end of their moontime, there is no ritual. This section also talks about men over the age of 55, but again...no ritual. This is something I feel needed a bit more thought.
*Death was also lightly covered, there is a Mohawk feast of the Dead ceremony and one requiem, but again I felt it could be much more elaborate (however if this funerary rite is geared towards kids, then...well, short and sweet) There is also a ceremony for pets that have crossed over.
Overall this is a really good book and I highly recommend it for anyone who is trying to raise their children on the the path of the Wicca. I also love the history, crafts, recipes and music of this book, it has been a number one resource for many quick ideas for ritual and Holiday planning.
5 out of 5 stars

Blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:

Return to “Book Reviews”