NEED HELP Identifying Crystals/Stones

Discussion and questions about the magical properties and uses of crystals and stones.
MistressOfTheMoon

Post by MistressOfTheMoon »

I am currently collecting stones for future use in spellwork and healing. The good news is that I found a store that sells a lot of them (cut and polished). The bad news is that not even the owner remembers what most of them are! So I took the trouble of identifying them myself using the internet and The Crystal Bible Volume 2 by Judy Hall (still looking for Volume 1 since all the bookstores in my city are out of them). It's really fun but I need some help in identifying them.

These are some of the stones I recently purchased and identified. Could anyone confirm them or correct me if I'm wrong?

I will post more photos from my collection in the future. But for now, here are 5.

1. Onyx (black and white Chalcedony)
2. UNKNOWN STONE (Not Sardonyx as I have learned). Sardonyx is supposed to look like #1 except it has a red/orange color with white, linear bands.
3. Chinese Pietersite
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374081830.250542.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374081850.283447.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374081952.299709.jpg
"For the Spirit lies within."
~ Ada S.
MistressOfTheMoon

Identifying Crystals/Stones

4. Botswana Agate
5. Tree Agate

~ Ada S.
drago25

Re: NEED HELP Identifying Crystals/Stones

Post by drago25 »

5th one looks more like tree agate then moss agate, most of the others dont even show up in my books other then the black and white ones as snowflake obsidian which 1 might be, some are hard to tell by pictures alone
MistressOfTheMoon

drago25 wrote:5th one looks more like tree agate then moss agate, most of the others dont even show up in my books other then the black and white ones as snowflake obsidian which 1 might be, some are hard to tell by pictures alone
Yep you are right with the tree agate :) I will make the corrections. I just wasn't able to update this thread. I have a snowflake obsidian and it's different from #1. I'm certain that #1 is onyx after looking up crystal properties/photos online.

Thanks for the help buddy! May I know what book you have? I only have Judy Hall's Crystal Bible Vol. 2. Everything else that isn't on the book, I look up on the internet.

May the Spirit bless you.
~ Ada S.
Jade Rose

Post by Jade Rose »

Have you found out what number 2 is? Could it be amber? The little black dots made me think so but the amber I do have is more orange-ish.

I've some similar to the stone on the right side of number 4 but a slightly richer brown, but I always thought they were tigereye. Oops.
MistressOfTheMoon

Jade Rose wrote:Have you found out what number 2 is? Could it be amber? The little black dots made me think so but the amber I do have is more orange-ish.

I've some similar to the stone on the right side of number 4 but a slightly richer brown, but I always thought they were tigereye. Oops.
Hi Jade Rose :)

Number 2 is not Amber. It is likely to be a Carnelian Agate (mixture of carnelian + clear chalcedony with wavy bands).

Number 4 still gets me confused. It is more likely to be Tiger's Iron though. A Tiger's Iron still has the chayotancy of a Tiger's Eye and hematite (black) plus Red Jasper :) But I have a Tiger's Iron that only has the chayotant yellow on a black background.
~ Ada S.
MistressOfTheMoon

*I am going to edit this post soon including crystals I've identified :) There are so many of them!
~ Ada S.
drago25

Post by drago25 »

lilgeekess wrote:
drago25 wrote:5th one looks more like tree agate then moss agate, most of the others dont even show up in my books other then the black and white ones as snowflake obsidian which 1 might be, some are hard to tell by pictures alone
Yep you are right with the tree agate :) I will make the corrections. I just wasn't able to update this thread. I have a snowflake obsidian and it's different from #1. I'm certain that #1 is onyx after looking up crystal properties/photos online.

Thanks for the help buddy! May I know what book you have? I only have Judy Hall's Crystal Bible Vol. 2. Everything else that isn't on the book, I look up on the internet.

sorry about the long dely on my reply i have the complete crystal handbook by cassandra eason though it doesn't have all the crystals in it i noticed that it is missing some crystals
MistressOfTheMoon

drago25 wrote:
lilgeekess wrote:

sorry about the long dely on my reply i have the complete crystal handbook by cassandra eason though it doesn't have all the crystals in it i noticed that it is missing some crystals
It's okay :) I've had a lot identified lately thanks to the internet! Haha. I posted another thread somewhere here including my named crystals. If you think I'm wrong with some of them, please feel free to let me know!

45-Crystals-(With-Pictures-+-Tips-To-Identify-Them)

http://www.everythingunderthemoon.net/f ... hp?t=24752
~ Ada S.
Isis3Anubis

Post by Isis3Anubis »

1. Is onyx. 2.fire agate. 3.tigers iron which is tigers eye with hematite and jasper.
She's just pieces of me you've never seen ~ Tori Amos
MistressOfTheMoon

Isis3Anubis wrote:1. Is onyx. 2.fire agate. 3.tigers iron which is tigers eye with hematite and jasper.
Thank you for the input! Yeah I've realized that 1 really is onyx, 2 is still a mystery but it's definitely Agate, and 3 yeah makes sense. It was one of my ideas of what it was :-D
~ Ada S.

Return to “Crystals and Gemstones”