The Voodoo Queen

Discussion of the different types of witchcraft and pagan paths.
Jonjonsalinas_

The Voodoo Queen

Post by Jonjonsalinas_ »

I wasn't sure where to put this thread so I decide to put it here because I figured some of the more 'advanced' practitioners could answer this question for me. Now I know a tad about voodoo and it's practices, and a friend actually asked me this question: why is the voodoo queen called the voodoo QUEEN? Did she practice any different type of voodoo? I'm really interested in hearing any SOLID info anyone has about the voodoo queen! Many thanks!
Bright blessings,
Jonathon
DPhoenix

Re: The Voodoo Queen

Post by DPhoenix »

Sorry, Voodoo isn't in my repertoire... yet. :)
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix
Echo_of_shadows

Post by Echo_of_shadows »

The book "Encyclopedia of Witches Witchcraft and Wicca" by Rosemary Guiley has an entry about the famous Voodoo Queen Marie Laveau.
My theory that it is a respected position of leadership. I don't know if there are any specific requirements for this status. I'm only a novice in studying Voodoo.
North Star

Post by North Star »

Sounds like you are talking about Marie Laveau. I know little about her (and much is not known, or can be confusing) and even less about voodoo, but I find her fascinating. She mixed Catholicism (she was a devout Catholic) with African spirituality. Basically, the way I see it, she was a witch. Prabably a pretty damn great one, too!

She was incredibly beautiful, powerful and spiritual. Very popular (even among the very afluent strict Catholics) and well known in her time, and keep in mind this was 1800s Louisiana. She was most likely well respected, as well as incredibly feared. I think she is a good example of how one CAN mix religions, and IMO she was not all a dark, 'black magick' practitioner. I imagine there were many sides to her. Just a witch who followed her own path and mixed her beliefs. One would go to her for love magick, money and legal issues, and of course the stories of her causing others deaths... but frightened Catholics who thought she was capable of this could have very well fueled all that. Just from the little I know of her I have to think she was not a lot different than many awesome withes all over the world today. She is just famous.

There is some confusion sometimes with her and her daughter (also named Marie and looked exactly like her mother) and there is another Marie (cant remember last name, it starts with a 'C') sometimes referred to as the Voodoo Queen. But I think the first Marie Laveau is the 'real queen'.
DPhoenix

Post by DPhoenix »

From what I've read, seems like Voodoo Queen is a term practitioners use that is the wiccan equivalent of a Priestess. I guess Marie Laveau is the most famous of these Voodoo Queens.
Burn to ash we must
Purification by fire
To rise again new -Wanna be friends on face book? Add me Dorothy Phoenix

Return to “Types of Witchcraft”