Reasons to Have a Solitary Practice

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Chalice

Reasons to Have a Solitary Practice

Post by Chalice »

It's with a heavy heart that I choose to become a solitary today. In truth I have been solitary for a while, but today I feel it's a spiritual path to choose. It has been thrust upon me because of circumstances, but the message I get from deity: It is time to choose to be solitary. To embrace it.

I live in a country (Australia) that doesn't have the same pagan community resources or people as the USA. We are very spread out across our country as well.

But of the few groups here, I do not get along with them, or they are definitely "not for me".

I've tried online groups, and quite a few are nice, but it's always the same: they don't address my issues, of my local area of living.

I was on the committee/board of a group here, but it ended up being a vanity/business project for the leader, and it was all about her. In spite of her saintly "giving to everyone" persona.

So, here I am. I know what practice I want. My wife joins me in ritual and prayer.

Time to embrace the solitary practice. Start my own Family trad. :fairy:
Witchcraft & OBOD Druidry.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Reasons to have a solitary practice

Post by Firebird »

Not that solitary is a bad thing... I was for several years before joining a coven, but I still appreciate the different energy exchanged in a group, as much as being solo. Each has it's benefits and drawbacks.
I saw at least 4 groups in Melbourne, one ADF group and a Reclaiming group, both of these are pretty well known, have you been in contact with them? You could perhaps join them for a public ritual, and not have to become a member.
I wish you well in your quest wherever the path leads.
blessings, Firebird
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
TwilightDancer

Post by TwilightDancer »

When I was a younger I practiced with a group of friends. I was just starting out and needed people to lean on for support. I have been solitary for 8 years now and I don't regret it one bit. I'm happy I had the support I did or I might not have had the courage to continue this path. But when I did switch to solitary practice-it came naturally to me, I didn't feel lonely at all. I know I was meant to practice this way. I still have my friends of course, we just don't hold ritual together.

Blessed Be :flyingwitch:
Lady stir your cauldron well, chant your words and sing your spell
Come and taste of the cauldron's brew and magic she will give to you

TwilightDancer's Book of Shadows
Chalice

Post by Chalice »

In truth, I am looking more for witchcraft groups that focus on magick.
I am a paid member of ADF, but it's never grabbed me. I have little interest in pursuing a priesthood that's about being academically correct and pure. If I really wanted that I'd stay Christian.

So I will see how I go being a solitary hedge witch. :flyingwitch:

I am very wiccan in orientation, but I am interesting in spells/magick more than the average wiccan these days.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Firebird »

Have you ever checked out the Unitarian Universalist Church? They are very pagan friendly, and it is a good place to socialize, meet others who are open minded free thinkers. Some of these UU churches have pagan circles run by an inner group to the church called CUUPS. (That is "the covenant of the unitarian universalist pagans") the UU uses the spiritual teachings of many different faiths in their services, and can be a refreshing change of pace for a Sunday morning.
Bb, ff
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Chalice

Post by Chalice »

firebirdflys wrote:Have you ever checked out the Unitarian Universalist Church? They are very pagan friendly, and it is a good place to socialize, meet others who are open minded free thinkers. Some of these UU churches have pagan circles run by an inner group to the church called CUUPS. (That is "the covenant of the unitarian universalist pagans") the UU uses the spiritual teachings of many different faiths in their services, and can be a refreshing change of pace for a Sunday morning.
Bb, ff
I would absolutely love to join them.

Doesn't exist here. None in my state.

There is one church in the city, that is Unitarian. But it's not UU.
CUUPS doesn't exist in Australia as far as I can see.
I am a ULC minister, and I like their openness.

Whilst we are fairly free in regards to religion here, it is highly regulated. You can't just start a church easily.

I am envious of the religious diversity and freedom the USA has. :flyingwitch:
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

Ive been solitary for my whole practice (many years). I have to yet find a group near me that I can connect with. Im am very fortunate that there are so many where I live though.

Im actually feeling very drawn to groups right now. That maybe its time for me to join one. So Im going to start attending various events to get a feel for each one.

Good luck on your journey

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”