Do Spells Need to be Repeated?

Frequently asked questions about witchcraft, Wicca, magick, paganism, and the occult. Subjects include love spells, Ouija boards, curses, Law of Attraction, and what to do if you don't have the needed tools, ingredients, altar, etc.
Erydiel

Do Spells Need to be Repeated?

Post by Erydiel »

Since I had a Christian upbringing, whenever there was a problem about something or wanted to give blessings, etc etc, you would often have to pray about the same thing over and over again until you get the results you want from God (or don't want).
For spells, do you generally do the same thing? Do you keep repeating the same spell over and over until you get the results, or do you only cast it once?
Or, am I getting confused on two completely unrelated things?

Just something I was wondering about, as I continue to grow as a Wiccan.

Blessed Be,

Erydiel
May the light always guide you on a dreary day.
Heartsong

Re: Do Spells Need to be Repeated?

Post by Heartsong »

Really, it kind of depends on the spell. Some do need to be refreshed, particularly spells that are meant to be long term (like a binding spell, protection wards or an attraction spell meant to catch a potential lover's attention, for examples). Spells that are more short term may indeed need to be repeated, such as a spell to bring prosperity, while others may not. Many spells have a "repeat as needed" clause in their instructions if it's written by another person. When writing a spell yourself, if you do need to refresh, that's usually only figured out through trial and error. Personally, I've found it helpful to include a time frame somewhere in the spell itself, either in the chant I write, or as part of the intent of the spell (specifically, while I'm focusing energy to cast).
Dance like the Maiden
Laugh like the Mother
Think like the Crone
YanaKhan

Post by YanaKhan »

Personally, I think what Christians call "prayers" work quite the same way as spells do. For example you pray hard for something, but you only use your will to achieve what you wish for and it takes time to achieve it. In spells, you have things and chants that help. But it's the will that is the most important thing for the spell to work. So if your question was if a spell would work the first time you cast it - yes it could. But in order to learn how to make spells work the first time, you need to learn how to focus your energy towards what you want to achieve. And that's actually the difficult part. And this is why sometimes spells don't work.

I have come across the opposite view, usually Chaos magicians believe in it - the strong desire ruins the spell. For example if you make sigils, you are supposed to forget about what you made them for (which is actually not impossible, just extremely hard to do) in order for them to work. Personally, I have worked both ways and both ways have worked for me, but I find that the strong desire is working better.

For me, if a spell doesn't work, it means it wasn't supposed to be cast in the first place. For example if you cast a love spell, but you feel deep inside it's wrong to cast it, it won't work. (Try and remember this is only my view, it doesn't mean I am right). And yes. Heartsong is absolutely right - sometimes you need to recast the spell, if it was supposed to last for a certain period of time for example. Talismans also need to be recharged from time to time. Stones - to be cleansed and so on.
Erydiel

Post by Erydiel »

Thanks for both of your replies! It was very helpful :)
AnaisStar

Post by AnaisStar »

I agree...to me prayers are a sort of spell. Both have the power of intent behind them.
LiebeUndLicht

Post by LiebeUndLicht »

It depends on the spell. If it doesn't seem like it's working then maybe you need to do it more than once, but then again it just might not work. If it hasn't worked within, say, a month (but even then it depends on the type of spell) you can try it again, and if it's a long term spell then you will probably need to give it time and then repeat the spell. Say for example you're doing an addiction spell, you might need to repeat it every day for a month but if it's a spell for an exam you're taking then you might only need to do it once :) hope this helped, blessed be!
Not all scars show and not all wounds heal. Sometimes you never truly see the pain that someone feels.
seawitch

Post by seawitch »

I honestly think it depends not only on the spell, but on the caster. If they were in a mood or something when they did it, then the spell probably wasn't as strong as the caster hoped. Also if they're worried about it not working and maybe thinking about it too much, that might have something to do with how strong the spell is, too. The mind is a very very powerful thing; even more powerful than most people believe. So I believe that as long as you put your all into the spell, only focus on it, and believe in the spell, and not worry about it after it was cast, then the spell will be very strong and you may not even have to renew the spell.
loona wynd
Banned Member

Post by loona wynd »

There are some spells I have found in my study of Hoodoo that are repeated every night or every so often. There are some styles of spells that are designed to b quicker than others so they dont need to be repeated. I think it really depends on the need, the style of spell or magic you are working, and the result. Different traditions and styles do things differently so you may find that a tall pillar candle spell may be repeated a lot in one style but in another its not. In the end magic is a personal thing so you will find what works for you.

I've only had one spell that I had to work repeatedly. Though I also have a ritual I used to do weekly which could count as a spell being repeated. In the end its personal choice, time, and result based. You may find that there are some spells and styles you want to do over and over again and you may find that there are some spells that work best done once and left alone.

There are really no rules in magic.
Erydiel

Post by Erydiel »

Thanks for all of your replies! I've been researching more and I see what all of you mean. Thank you for all of the helpful replies! :)

Blessed Be,

Erydiel
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

It may just be me, who knows :|
I found it VERY hard to get results from a spell directed
at legal situations, I know I tried at least once a year for
five years at least doing a spell to get my ssi approved...
Now I've read in a few books you should do the spell/ritual
about your wants/needs and then not think about it...
This must be where I screwed up ? I could not get my
need for this out of my head *exhausted*
So finally after 10yrs fighting them it was granted. I feel
very grateful it was approved...now I know I can survive
after hubby passes. Thank you deeply my Goddess for
assisting me in getting this done :fairy:
:flyingwitch:
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,