Book Review: Sacred Mask Sacred Dance by Evan John Jones

Review and recommend pagan, spiritual, Wicca, & witchcraft books.
Holdasown

Book Review: Sacred Mask Sacred Dance by Evan John Jones

Post by Holdasown »

This is now one of my favorite books. It was informative, well written and easily read. I picked it up due to a growing interest in mask making. It covers reasons the writer finds masks to be historically based, how to set up the space, why they choose the animals they did and chants for closing the compass/ circle. It’s very detailed on how to set things up and completion from start to finish. They also cover mask making materials. The point of the rituals was to tread the mill or hedge walk. The material could easily be adapted to specific paths or gods. Animals could easily be applied to specific pantheons and myths. While geared more to witchcraft than pagan practice it could still be used to pagan ritual if your group wanted to.
Firebird
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Book Review: Sacred Mask Sacred Dance by Evan John Jones

Post by Firebird »

Holda, I'm so glad you reviewed this book, it is one of my favorties too. It definitely could be used in any tradition....and I like it espically because my trad is very similar to what he writes about.
The photos are pretty cool too. I like the Raven mask the best, but have yet to make one.
So far I have made boar and owl.
Bb, ff
“There are things known and things unknown and in between are the Doors.”
― Jim Morrison
“All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen.”
― RWEmerson
:mrgreen:
Holdasown

Re: Book Review: Sacred Mask Sacred Dance by Evan John Jones

Post by Holdasown »

firebirdflys wrote:Holda, I'm so glad you reviewed this book, it is one of my favorties too. It definitely could be used in any tradition....and I like it espically because my trad is very similar to what he writes about.
The photos are pretty cool too. I like the Raven mask the best, but have yet to make one.
So far I have made boar and owl.
Bb, ff
The pictures make my mask look cheesy. There is a cool owl one I thought was great. I may try an animal mask.Mine looks like a person.

Return to “Book Reviews”