Year and A Day?

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Year and A Day?

Post by Naudia Threng »

So, I've never officially started my year and a day. Though I've been studying for almost two years, I want to start my official year and a day soon. Any tips? Also, I have no idea what exactly supposed to do during my year and day.
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Re: Year and A Day?

Post by Naudia Threng »

Ive looked at the books and stuff that go along with it, but in my opinion that takes away from the journey. The only problem is, i dont know what to do everyday!
O Goddes, all praise to you. Ta em hotep, anekh hrak. Lady Isis, I adore you. Nebet aset, tu a atu.
corvidus

Post by corvidus »

I would think the basic year-and-a-day for a shamanic practice would be something like meditating to a drum or rattle for at least a half-hour every day, while meditating on shamanic concepts (life, death, plants, minerals, animals, etc).
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

I was hoping to start my shamanic and wicca year and day. Since Shamanism is a path rather than a religion.
Vesca

Post by Vesca »

The Year-and-a-day thing is pretty Wicca-Centric. It's not really a thing in shamanism, as shamanism is a lifelong journey and no real shaman will ever call themselves a master.

I never did a year-and-a-day (because I'm not Wiccan), but from what I've heard from friends in the past the actual journey is supposed to encompass some particulars and the books should actually help you figure out what it is you should be focusing on over the duration.

If you're able to, it may be well worth your time to at least read through a few of the books to see what it is they're talking about and maybe pick bits and pieces out of the ones that seem to "click" with you.

If I remember correctly (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, or elaborate if you know more) some of the basic concepts that are supposed to be learned are: the wheel of the year, lunar phases, divination, how to meditate, center, ground, how to cast a circle, how to call the points, how to work with the elements and (maybe?) initiation with the elements (I forget if this is a year-and-a-day thing or a Wiccan triad initiation thing). That may give you some ideas on where to start and what to look for.

This book may be interesting to you. It certainly covers a year's worth of activities, associations, deities, and activities/spellwork (plus I've read it already and I can say it's pretty interesting and worth the read).
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 30696.html
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

Vesca wrote:The Year-and-a-day thing is pretty Wicca-Centric. It's not really a thing in shamanism, as shamanism is a lifelong journey and no real shaman will ever call themselves a master.

I never did a year-and-a-day (because I'm not Wiccan), but from what I've heard from friends in the past the actual journey is supposed to encompass some particulars and the books should actually help you figure out what it is you should be focusing on over the duration.

If you're able to, it may be well worth your time to at least read through a few of the books to see what it is they're talking about and maybe pick bits and pieces out of the ones that seem to "click" with you.

If I remember correctly (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, or elaborate if you know more) some of the basic concepts that are supposed to be learned are: the wheel of the year, lunar phases, divination, how to meditate, center, ground, how to cast a circle, how to call the points, how to work with the elements and (maybe?) initiation with the elements (I forget if this is a year-and-a-day thing or a Wiccan triad initiation thing). That may give you some ideas on where to start and what to look for.

This book may be interesting to you. It certainly covers a year's worth of activities, associations, deities, and activities/spellwork (plus I've read it already and I can say it's pretty interesting and worth the read).
http://everythingunderthemoon.net/forum ... 30696.html
Thanks for the book recommendation Vesca! You make a good point about Shammanism... I already do bunch of reading and shamany stuff everyday.
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

My opinion here...
Shamanism is like being the Medicine Man of the tribe,
healings, sharing with others the energy and belief
systems of Mother Earth, they work towards healing
our Mother with energy, what healing herbs are good
for what ailments...off the top of my head.
Meditation and visualizations to help others...the
Medicine Wo/men is the go-to for what ails you.
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Naudia Threng
Banned Member

Post by Naudia Threng »

MsMollimizz wrote:
My opinion here...
Shamanism is like being the Medicine Man of the tribe,
healings, sharing with others the energy and belief
systems of Mother Earth, they work towards healing
our Mother with energy, what healing herbs are good
for what ailments...off the top of my head.
Meditation and visualizations to help others...the
Medicine Wo/men is the go-to for what ails you.
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
In almost every shamanism book I've read, it's been stated that shamans are healers first and everything else second. I should really study more herbs...
MsMollimizz

Post by MsMollimizz »

Azure Lily,
Studying the herbs can be daunting task,
there are so many ! May I suggest if you
are going to do that for now start with a
few of the common ones...and go from
there. Also see if you can get your hands
on this: http://www.amazon.com/Healers-Manual-Be ... Ted+ndrews
Gentle Light
MsMollimizz
Until one has loved an animal,
part of their soul remains un-awakened.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge." Steven Hawkings
Becks

Post by Becks »

Hello there Azure Lily. Did you already start this? You could dedicate yourself on the next Sabbat if you are following the Wicca path, and follow the wheel of the year...you can design study that matches the seasons and correspondences. Exciting times! Best of luck!
HopefulChild

Post by HopefulChild »

My year and a day happened on it's own accord.

I decided Wicca was the only system that could grow with my model and my ideas. Bought some books, started doing research. Honestly forgot about it for a while, then would come back to it, then forget, then come back...turned out that when I decided to make an altar and start my BOS, I had created a digital BOS to refine my reed and when I opened it again to copy it, it was a year and a day later.

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”