How did you get started in Wicca or your spiritual path?

Feel free to copy this information to your Book of Shadows.
Raevyn

How did you get started in Wicca or your spiritual path?

Post by Raevyn »

Hey everyone,

I'm just curious about how everyone got into Wicca (or your spiritual path)? How did you discover it? Was it passed down through your family?

My very first memories with anything witchcraft related was when I was about 5-6 years old. My mother isn't/wasn't religious at all, but we were in a bad situation, I remember we lived next door to a notorious drug user/dealer at the time who was consistently giving us grief. I think my mother was just out of ideas about what to do and she went down to our local book store and purchased a book about witchcraft and spells. My first memory of any kind of ritual was when my mother and my sister (who was about 7-8) did some kind of ritual with water and writing names on paper, I don't remember fully what happened, but I remember my mother saying specifically that it was magic and not to tell others about it. I remember the ritual was about wishing luck to our bad neighbours so they would move out and we could live in peace.

Then I remember growing up I would have special stones that I was drawn to and special items I was particularly fond of that I would carry around. After that one ritual we actually ended up moving to a new house and my father bought a shop, and as far as rituals go I don't remember my mother doing any others. When I was around 10 I was looking through the family bookshelf when I found the spell book she bought years ago, I then took it into my room and would often spend my spare time reading it. I didn't really start getting into Wicca/Spirituality properly until I was about 16 and did a lot of research, but my serious research and buying of hundreds of books and ebooks began when I was 18 and was able to have paypal and afford to do such things. Now I'm 21 and really love learning/researching anything about Wicca/Paganism/Spirituality.

I look forward to hearing about your spiritual journey.
Lord_of_Nightmares

Re: How did you get started in Wicca or your spiritual path?

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

I started out on Buddhism and Neo-Wicca, I was raised Christian. Later I found a lot of disinformation being passed as Wicca, while I remained a witch I tried out some religions including Satanism, Celtic recon, and Aztec recon. I was an Aztec person for almost a decade. (I still like philosophical Satanism but I also like philosophical Buddhism. I do not think I belong to either group.)

While I retain some gods, beliefs, and magical practices from there, (Most of the beliefs in magic are outside of religion and accurate imo.) I went through some bad times and I did a ritual with Cerridwen to re-discover myself just because I knew it would work with her back when I was a teenage Neo-Wiccan. (She is the goddess of transformation and change.) I found out that I am essentially Wiccan and it shows in the fact that I never left my witchy ways. Instead of asking what I wanted to be as I had been trying to force myself into these practices and religions, I did a spell for what I needed to be. I had a epiphany after the blood moon ritual of 2015, I kept trying to be someone I was not for the longest time. Now I am a seeker and I hope I can join this coven I have sought out soon.

The long version of my story can be found on my blog: http://witchofthewild.tumblr.com/sp
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
Raevyn

Post by Raevyn »

Lady_Lilith wrote:The long version of my story can be found on my blog: http://witchofthewild.tumblr.com/sp
Thanks so much for providing me with the link to your blog and sharing your spiritual journey. It was very interesting reading about your journey, yet upsetting hearing about the hardships you've experienced in your life.
I truly hope you're in a much better place now and doing well.

Bright blessings.
~Silah~
Lord_of_Nightmares

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

Silah wrote:
Lady_Lilith wrote:The long version of my story can be found on my blog: http://witchofthewild.tumblr.com/sp
Thanks so much for providing me with the link to your blog and sharing your spiritual journey. It was very interesting reading about your journey, yet upsetting hearing about the hardships you've experienced in your life.
I truly hope you're in a much better place now and doing well.

Bright blessings.
~Silah~
Yeah, I am in a healthy environment now. Thanks for reading. :)
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

I think I've been on a spiritual theme park ride all my life. The Wiccan phase started in my 30's with a vision, a dream, and OOBE.

:surprisedwitch: I've just been following my nose since.
Last edited by SpiritTalker on Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Edit to comply with rules
SnowCat
Banned Member

Post by SnowCat »

To a certain extent, I can echo SpiritTalker. I never actually joined a convent, but I seriously considered it after the spiritual wanderings of my tweens and teens. I didn't have the spiritual awakening, but I felt a constant pull. Since I began following the pull, I have had a number of encounters, including encounters with Anubis. The most recent one was with Thor. Still working that one out. Apparently, you can teach an old cat new tricks.

Snow
Daughter of Sekhmet
SpiritTalker
Banned Member

Post by SpiritTalker »

Snow, following that pull, that constant beckoning...yes, that resonates. High five palm smack.

Return to “Witchcraft & Wicca 101 - The Basics of the Craft”