Is it okay for a Wiccan to worship more than one God/Goddess

For discussion and questions about Gods and Goddesses.
Eloen

Is it okay for a Wiccan to worship more than one God/Goddess

Post by Eloen »

Weird wording in the subject, but that's as much as it would let me type in. My main question:

Is it okay for a Wiccan to worship more than just one God and more than just one Goddess, in your opinion? It's something I'm always going back and forth between, as well as the idea of mixing pantheons. I feel connections to Thor, Freyja, The Morrigan, and Brighid, but I also identify as Wiccan, not just pagan. Is that okay, do you guys think? :?
Lord_of_Nightmares

Re: Is it okay for a Wiccan to worship more than one God/God

Post by Lord_of_Nightmares »

It is so funny becauase I was looking this exact topic up earlier.

Here are some links:

Wicca & duotheism.

Wiccante privledge and Wiccan polytheism .

Why I am still Wiccan and a polytheist.

on being a "bad " polytheist.

All these are worth a read.

That being said, I never knew a Wiccan to stick to only 2 gods. I think one of the blogs mentions that duotheism is rare among Wiccans, even the trad types.

Since Wicca is practice based and not belief based, it is perfectly fine to incorporate whatever gods you feel comfortable with.
I am the Earth, The Sun and the Stars
And I am the also the Moon
I am all animal and birds,
And I am the outcast as well, and the thief
I am the low person of dreadful deeds,
And the great person of excellent deeds
I am Female. I am Male and I am Neuter.
- Devi
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

I was wondering on the opposite end... Is it ok to worship only one? I believe in one universal pantheistic being. The "gods and goddesses" are merely aspects or pieces of this. I think you do what feels right. As the Wiccan way- An it harm none, do what ye will.
Lord_of_Nightmares

WiccanWitch wrote:I was wondering on the opposite end... Is it ok to worship only one? I believe in one universal pantheistic being. The "gods and goddesses" are merely aspects or pieces of this. I think you do what feels right. As the Wiccan way- An it harm none, do what ye will.
Yes. Wicca is orthopraxic, based on practice. There are atheist Wiccans after all.

This one goes into a bit about pantheism here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=wtmiJSP9HG4
- Devi
WiccanWitch

Post by WiccanWitch »

The atheist witch I have a harder time wrapping my head around. Love be to all of them, I am not one in any place to judge. I just don't understand the reasoning. However I look at other atheist religions such as Buddhism or Taoism and they both acknowledge a
Universal energy or power in some way so I suppose a lack of a God isn't necessarily a lack of believing in essentially what I do, just a different slant.
Shekinah

Post by Shekinah »

Eloen wrote:Weird wording in the subject, but that's as much as it would let me type in. My main question:

Is it okay for a Wiccan to worship more than just one God and more than just one Goddess, in your opinion? It's something I'm always going back and forth between, as well as the idea of mixing pantheons. I feel connections to Thor, Freyja, The Morrigan, and Brighid, but I also identify as Wiccan, not just pagan. Is that okay, do you guys think? :?
I think not a problem cuz we are all ONE (so say all the great Mystics and Masters). In some Witch circles the Pantheon are "Though Beings" of our collective creation materialized over hundreds of centuries of visualization and conjuration. Like the "Great Goddess" who manifests in many shapes and forms and called by many names She is ONE.
Truth and Reality are highly guarded secrets. Nothing is as it appears. "The ONENESS sleeps in the stone, breathes in the plant, dreams in the animal and awakens in man" (Indian proverb)
valerian moon

Post by valerian moon »

WiccanWitch wrote:I was wondering on the opposite end... Is it ok to worship only one? I believe in one universal pantheistic being. The "gods and goddesses" are merely aspects or pieces of this. I think you do what feels right. As the Wiccan way- An it harm none, do what ye will.
Agreed! ^^^
You may call me Valerian Moon, or simply Val.
EmberWolf

Post by EmberWolf »

This sounds a bit like The All, which is a "being" I've just recently come to believe in. I believe simply in a God and a Goddess, and just recently I've thought about The All, which is simply the universe personified. The All gives life to everything, controls the energy flowing through all things, and created the God and Goddess so as to have beings to better control its power, as far as I understand it. And to answer your question more directly (and the question originally presented in the post) having none, one, or multiple gods to believe in is absolutely okay :) I hope this helps!
I strove with none, for none was worth my strife.
Nature I loved and, next to Nature, Art:
I warm'd both hands before the fire of life;
It sinks, and I am ready to depart.
Lord_of_Nightmares

I forgot to make mention on certain holidays other gods are honored. Like Brigid is popular to honor at Imbolc and Lugh at Lithia because of their association with it.
- Devi
Leone

Post by Leone »

Eloen wrote:Weird wording in the subject, but that's as much as it would let me type in. My main question:

In my experience it's not only okay but common. Even trad Wiccans tend to have patron gods and goddesses of other pantheons. My group works primarily with the God and Goddess, but we all have connections to other deities and honor Them.

As for mixing pantheons, that I would be careful with. If you feel a connection to deities of different pantheons, my advice would be to approach them one by one--maybe spend a month or so learning about, meditating on, and honoring each god and goddess--to find out what They might want of you or what's the best way to make worship of Them a part of your life. And although I don't think there's anything wrong with approaching a god or goddess you feel a connection to from a Wiccan context, before doing so I think it's only respectful to study Him or Her in a historical/mythological context and learn how He or She is traditionally worshipped.

Return to “Gods/Goddesses”